Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-10, 11:06 PM   #1
awhitaker1992
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fluorocarbon?

I've wondering for a while and I've finally thought to ask you guys. What is the difference between mono and fluoro? I know yall have heard this many times before I'm sure, but i want to know what makes it so difference from mono, what lures to use it for, if I was to buy fluorocarbon line, what brand is best etc.
awhitaker1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 11:22 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First, welcome to the site, if I haven't said so already. Secondly, this line guide Kevin came up with should answer most of your questions about when to use what line.
I'm not going to recommend any particular brands of fluoro, because I haven't ever used any. I've heard good things about several different ones, but I'll let those with experience point you in the right direction.
Mono and fluoro are two different animals. I'm not going to get into the chemical composition of each of them, I'll just give a brief rundown of their differences.
Mono floats, fluoro sinks. Mono stretches, fluoro doesn't as much. UV rays degrade mono, but not fluoro. Fluoro is less visible underwater than mono, and generally also has better sensitivity. Fluoro has a tendency to be a little harder to deal with...it's stiffer, easily kinked, and more likely to cause backlashes, especially on spinning reels. But it does stand up to abrasion better than mono.
Confused yet?
Mono is better for some things, fluoro for others. You'll just have to pick your poison and see how you like it.
Old 04-12-10, 11:39 PM   #3
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Or to add to the confusion is also Copolymer line (copoly) which has its own properties which is a kind of combination between mono and fluoro. I myself prefer Pline CX and CXX for almost everything but I also just go out for fun, not tournaments or anything like that.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 08:34 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Monofilament

- made from nylon
- stretches
- has good knot strength
- floats
- absorbs water
- is weakened by UV rays and heat
- normally more manageable than most fluoros
- has elasticity

Fluorocarbon

- made from fluorocarbon molecules
- many companies claim low/no stretch, but all fluorocarbon lines stretch, some even as much or more than some monos.
- generally has worse knot strength than mono*
- sinks
- most do not absorb water, or absorb very little
- impervious to UV rays
- not effected by heat as much as mono
- more abrasion resistant
- generally stiffer than mono*
- more sensitive than mono
- lower impact strength*
- does not have elasticity

*These weak areas of fluorocarbon are constantly being improved, and any fluorocarbon you use today will be better than the first fluoros from years ago. In fact, there are many fluorocarbons now that are just as manageable as most monos. Knot strength has been greatly improved over the year, yet probably still isn't quite as good as mono. Impact resistance was one of fluoro's major flaws, but has also been improved greatly since the introduction of fluorocarbon.

That being said, besides crankbaits and topwaters, I'd take fluorocarbon over mono for just about any presentation. IMO Seaguar InvisX and AbrasX are two of the best (if not THE best) fluoros on the market. I use InvisX on two of my reels and if I didn't know it was fluorocarbon, I would think it was a very good mono. I rarely have any issues with memory, and I've never been fishing and felt the need to find something better. (I also use KVD Line and Lure probably once to twice a month on all my mono and fluorocarbon lines.

BB
Old 04-13-10, 10:20 PM   #5
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great info BB. I'm trying InvisX this year and so far have been impressed....it is very manageable and sensitivity seems good. I'd also recommend Trilene 100% flouro....its a little less manageable but perhaps a bit more sensitive.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 09:59 AM   #6
keithdog

Ok, just to add to the post, I'm wondering about lines like P Line Floroclear, which is a copoly line coated with Flourocarbon. What qualities does that have in comparison to a true flourocarbon line? I would think it would give you the best of both worlds. Not sure if it would sink or float though.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 07:03 PM   #7
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use fluoroclear and it does sink although a little slower than 100% fc. Its a good line for some techniques....I like it alot for jerkbaits and lipless cranks. Abrasion resistance is good and it is a low vis line. I don't think sensitivity is as good as the 100% fluoros so I don't use it where a sense of "feel" is paramount.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 10:18 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Sounds like the guys here have already fixed you up with all the info you need. I will add that there is one time when I will use fluoro for topwater is when I am wanting a lot of noise out of a popper type bait because the fluoro will cause the bait to sit in a more nose down attitude and give the bait a different sound than you will get with mono.

My favorite fluoro line is without a doubt Abrazx from Seaguar. Invizx is also a good line but Abrazx seems to be just as good handling but a lot more abrasion resistant.
Old 04-19-10, 08:34 AM   #9
awhitaker1992
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys for clearing some stuff up for me ill definitely be trying out some Flourocarbon.
Old 04-19-10, 08:39 AM   #10
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

And i'll keep laughing at you in the boat yelling when it gives you a nice backlash on a spinning reel
Old 04-20-10, 06:56 PM   #11
awhitaker1992
BassFishin.Com Member

ok i tried out some fluoro on my baitcaster i havent tried it in the water yet and i already like it cast alot smoother than braid or mono. It great s fat thanks guys

p.s. its probably not going to end up on my spinning reels skelly

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.