Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-09, 09:55 PM   #1
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default When They Ain't Biting.......

Went out today with the girlfriend to our usual pond with some high expectations. Last Friday my buddy and I were out there and the majority of the Bass were starting to bed down or just trolling the shallows looking for places. They weren't very cooperative last Friday and rejected everything we threw in the 40 minutes we were there. Today I was hoping for some decent results from jigging but the recent rain made the water visability about nil so we couldn't see any beds and after losing 2 jigs apiece we called it quits......on bass that is. That is why each time I am out I carry my little 4'6" Shakespeare trigger-spin rod spooled up with 4lb test and a box of panfish jigheads and varying small plastics. We proceeded to SLAY the Crappie and Bluegills for about another hour and let me tell you what.....it was the most fun fishing I've had with my girl since I got her to catch her first Bass. She was excited last year about the first bass, but her excitement at catching Crappie and Bluegill seemingly at will she said made her most satisfied. I catch and release even Crappie and Bluegill much to the amazement of some local little kids who's siblings apparently take each and every fish, no matter what size, home to eat No record setting sizes on either species but a few Crappie measured at least 10 inches so a good fight.

Morale of the story is, if the bass ain't biting, have a backup plan and you never know.....You still might have the most satisfying day of fishing yet.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 10:26 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Better luck next time man, try throwing some spinners in that murky water and today was a spinnerbait day it was nice n windy ...toss to the wind blown side of the pond. caught this one today and a few others but this was the biggest of the day at 3lb's
Old 04-22-09, 10:27 PM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

cant seem to get the pic up

Last edited by BassMoJo; 04-22-09 at 10:29 PM. Reason: bad post
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 05:47 PM   #4
B-I-G

Yeah yesterday was a good spinnerbait day.. I got three on a spinnerbait... IT was the first time I used one too...
B-I-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 11:12 PM   #5
Panthrosan

Got 2 today on a spinnerbait and one on a crank, then the bite dried up so I once again went to the panfish ultra-light reel and while I wasn't slaying them like I was on Wednesday, I caught enough to keep me entertained until the sun went down. Tried a popper and some other top-waters at the end of the day, but no-go. I guess most of the bass are taking the opportunity with warm weather and water to go to lay beds.

Whereabouts are you in Marylandistan BIG?
Old 04-24-09, 11:32 PM   #6
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthrosan View Post
Got 2 today on a spinnerbait and one on a crank, then the bite dried up so I once again went to the panfish ultra-light reel and while I wasn't slaying them like I was on Wednesday, I caught enough to keep me entertained until the sun went down. Tried a popper and some other top-waters at the end of the day, but no-go. I guess most of the bass are taking the opportunity with warm weather and water to go to lay beds.

Whereabouts are you in Marylandistan BIG?
I hear ya man the bite has been tough at my local places for the last week with the weather warming up , been catching a lot of toothy critters (pickerel) instead they seem to be hitting everything that touches the water at the moment .

Jim
Old 04-25-09, 10:22 AM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

happened this Thursday!

Went ultra light bassing with a few little plastics, I was not getting any bass for and hour. Good thing I had a back up plan! I had a few little 1/2" berkly gulp alive maggots, I put those on and probably caught 50 gills in a half hour! Biggest was 8-9"
Old 04-25-09, 01:29 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthrosan View Post
Went out today with the girlfriend to our usual pond with some high expectations.
Yep, I used ta do the same thing....hehehe
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 09:41 PM   #9
Panthrosan

Went out again today and after catching a few 2-3 pound bass on a crankbait, I thought what the hell let me throw a few out there on the new Panfish rod. Picked up an Abu Garcia/Berkley combo ultra-light spinning rod from Dick's on clearance for $39.99 with a $20 mail in rebate that I'm getting my girlfriend to fill out since I already used my $20 mail in on my baitcaster combo. Had a small bluegill/crappie white jighead with a hot pink cut-tail grub on 4 pound test. Was casting out into about 5 feet of water along the shoreline with some weeds and reeds on the shoreline. Caught 2 crappie the first 10 casts or so and on my 15th cast I felt a hit and set the hook. Then my line started to peel off like no tomorrow and I re-adjust the drag. After a good 2-3 minute fight I pulled in a 2.5 pound bass on my Panfish rig on 4lb test. What a rush. Think I'm gonna try to target some bigger bass with this rod and reel because it was a good test of my ability to land the fish with such light tackle.
Old 05-01-09, 10:01 PM   #10
66KingFisher

Catchin big fish on ultralight tackle is a blast isn't it.....even a small bass is a barrel of fun.....Enjoy your new combo.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 10:06 PM   #11
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Yep, I used ta do the same thing....hehehe
ROTFLMAO It wasn't a pond it was a river, but the same expectations.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.