Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-05, 03:34 PM   #1
jraap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default guntersville in the spring

headed down to alabama in the spring, just thought i'd ask for some tips from some guys that have been there. i've never fished for bass, south of missouri, so i have no clue what the water conditions will be, temp, grass ( what us yank's call weeds),etc. will will be staying in a cabin, but are there any great restaurants in the area? ( staying near mill creek) nice bait shops? any info would be great, thanks.
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 06:17 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

simple click on alabama lakes guide ad on the top of the page. email larry rosser and his crew.. they are full time guides on guntersville.

zooker
Old 11-23-05, 04:54 PM   #3
WTL

Theres a big difference between february, march and april down here so which month might help in telling you what weather to expect. February is still cold, but its one of the best times for big fish because normally they start getting into the prespawn at some point in that month. March is all prespawn - last week they often start bedding, and april is all bedding and postspawn. I've never hit the big G seriously in Feb or March but from what I've heard a lot of people rip traps through the emerging grass picking up prespawning females, often near creek channels that funnel into the spawning areas. Last April a big pattern was throwing senkos and yum dingers back in the bedding areas, I did have a little success doing that - some sightfishing is available too that time of year.

Bait shops wise you should be very close to waterfront grocery and tackle which gets a lot of business on the lake (never been there myself, not on the way to anywhere I go). One of the best resturants in the area is said to be Top of the River over in Guntersville or a little past it down on 431, if I remember correctly it was to the south east of the lake on a big hill. Mill creek is right smack in the middle of the lake, you can go north to BB comer or South to Browns creek so that is excellent. Remember if you get there and have a little trouble at first Guntersville is a tough cookie to crack, but once you do the size of the bags you will catch are amazing. I'm still working on it myself, but tourneys will get up in the area of 5 fish 27-30 pounds all the time. It is very possible to fish all morning with no bites and then have one glorious 5 or 6 pounder come out of nowhere and make your day, in fact it happened to me last summer.
Old 11-24-05, 10:20 AM   #4
jraap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

wtl- thanks for the detailed info. i will be there the week of april 10th.
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 02:15 PM   #5
WTL

April 10th...lol, my birthday....

Bass should be on the beds bigtime - it will be pretty warm, probably in the mid- upper 70s and sunny. The hydrilla and milfoil will be well on its way. Cruise the shallows throwing soft jerkbaits, senkos and red shad worms- look for pockets in the hyrdrilla and milfoil where the bass are bedding. Also if its your thing, bream should on the bed too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.