Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-07, 10:59 PM   #26
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here it is still under $3, but just barely. Dodge is correct about the profits-The politicians blame the oil companies, yet it is the goverment who makes out like a bandit(man, ain't that the truth). Oil companies make about $.08 a gallon profit, yet the government takes their $.40+ cut in the form of taxes. Plus, as he correctly stated, the environmentalist lobby has successfully blocked drilling in ANWR and off the coast of Florida as well as no new refineries in the last 30 years and the refineries are running at capacity right now. So, we pay out the you-know-what.

So, why are the oil companies' profits so high? sdrago1 nailed it(Welcome to the forum, BTW!)-simple economics. Supply and demand. When demand it high, profits rise. When demand falls, so do the profits.

It is time for the politicians to step up. Let us get the oil that we need and quit cowtowing to the environmentalist extremes. Hit a happy medium. I'm all for protecting the environment, but denying us the oil we need because we MAY encroach on the traditional mating grounds of the green beaked purple fartbarker is just plain stupid.
Old 11-20-07, 03:55 PM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What I'm pissed about is the price of hamburgers. Listening to my Dad, they used to be 5 cents each. Now when I go to Hardees I might get a good one for 5 bucks. I know we have enough beef and bread in this country to be reduce our dependence on foreign burgers, but the big fast food chains are all about making the little guy pay out the *** so that their CEOs can afford better private jets and bigger pensions. And don't get me started on the Saudi burger barons.

Of course, then again the price of burgers could just be tied to inflation, supply and demand like everything else instead of there being this grand burger price fixing conspiracy.

The truth is given what other countries pay, the rate of inflation and the amount of gas Americans use, 3 bucks a gallon is not a bad deal. Look at every other product/commodity in America. Gas actually might have gone up slower over the years than average.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.