Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-09, 08:46 PM   #1
bassun
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Skeeter will not shut off

Hello - I appologize if this has been answered else where, if so I didn't find it.
I have a 1999 Skeeter 90SS (Yamaha 90). I did not manage to get on the water ANY last year (whole different complaint lol) but this spring, I hooked up the water hose, and fired up the engine. After a little sputtering etc, she fired and ran fine. And ran ... and ran... and ran. I turned off the key...it ran. I pulled the kill switch...it ran. Finally to kill it, I opened the manual choke and it smothered itself.

I researched and found that often times the culprit is a loose wire( I think I read a black and white one), and i do infact have a loose wire...but I have no idea where it goes (and it isn't black and white - it's black). Below the ignition switch there is the harness, there is a black wire running out of the harness but isnt attached to the ignition switch, or the kill switch. But, I do not see anywhere where it "appears" to have been attached. It does not have any connector on it, and there are no connectors missing their leads. SO -- the question is two fold... A) If this needs to be connected, any ideas to what / where? I couldn't find any diagrams of the harness online or at skeeter.com... B) If this is not really the problem, what the heck is?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!
bassun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 11:01 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome Bassun, I can't answer your question but there is 3 or 4 guys on here that will help you. I live near you in Elliston Va. Grew up in Radford, I know you know where that is.
Old 05-21-09, 05:18 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check and see if that loose wire runs back to the main fuse in the moter..

zooker
Old 05-22-09, 01:19 AM   #4
bassun
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL, wow, small world bcklash! And yeah, I've been through Elliston a time or twenty (wife doesn't like 81 at all...) We even had a bass club meeting at the "Hales Diner" (I think was the name) down your way once. Scary lookin' place, but great food and the owners were super nice people!

Zooker - I will take a look tomorrow and try to trace back the wire and see where it goes on the other side of the harness.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-09, 03:43 AM   #5
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dave is that you? BckLash is Dad. You will get an answer on her Im sure.
Old 05-22-09, 11:13 AM   #6
bassun
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL, yup yup! I told the wife last night that I thought I had seen that license tag around before, but that I was probably just confusing it with yours...well, I guess not!!! Too funny!

Anyway, I finally got another chance to look at it the other day, that's when I discovered there was the one loose wire, but dang if I could figure out where she went. Then I finally remembered the website name, and all the great pub you gave it; so I figured I would give it a shot! So today I am going to try to backtrack it and see if I can't answer Zooker's question.

How was Kentucky??!
Old 06-02-09, 11:26 PM   #7
bassun
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry for the delay, I have been working on some must do's around the house... I am going to try to trace the wire this week if I get home before dark.
Old 06-03-09, 08:54 PM   #8
bassun
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, I tried to backtrack the wiring; but with little success. The wiring goes from the harness and up the inside wall where the throttle is. I tried to feel my way around and even took some pics to see if I could trace the wiring, but I couldn't find anything that was definate. There are wires going everywhere and I couldn't keep track of which was going where. It did seem to actually go to the console, but I cannot be 100% positive. The other option led to the trim on the motor, and it works fine, so I'm assuming it is not there.

I did grab some picks of the wiring harness etc, maybe that will be useful...

Loose wire:

Loose wire with mesh pulled back:

Closer Up of Harness:

Back of Ignition Switch

Just in case, Engine:

Any incite is greately appreciated!
Old 06-07-09, 09:43 PM   #9
bassun
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I found the offending connection. It was a ground wire that led to the main ground on the switch. As soon as I refit the wire with a connector, and hooked it up I was back in the money!

But, while replacing what I thought was a burned out light on the trailer, I discovered I actualy have some goofy wiring issue on the trailer... UGG! Oh well, I'll just stick my arm out the window and give hand signals if I have to!!

It's really amazing how much damage sitting for one year does to a boat...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.