Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-11, 11:24 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Big river smallie - pics!

Me and my dad got out to the Red River today after the ate.. and boy I'm glad we did. Caught my PB smallie, it went 19 3/4 inch long and around probably around 15.5 - 16" girth.... thang was fat.

You can really see how fat it was in this pic, the tail just got cut off.

When we were walking to the spot, we found a bunch of dead smelt lookin minnows, about 3, 4. Dad started off fishing with a 3/16oz spinnerbait, and missed a few fish cause the rod he was using was so whippy. I started with a 3" mimzo tube, and caught the fist fish of the day pretty quickly, a small spunky little guy, but he almost got me wrapped up in a log jam, so that it pretty existing.

We moved up stream a little ways, and I caught a few more small one on the tube. I think my dad at the the time only had one. We came to a n-i-c-e looking ,log jam with a biggoal grass bed near it. After nothing on the tube I switched to a zoom fluke jr.. Didn't take log before I got one on that. I wasn't paying attention and I just hear something slurp something up off the top, but I looked over at my line and it was moving so I set the hook. A nice chunky 15", very strong, and a jumper. When I let this one go it just went straight down and sat by my boot for a few seconds, for the heck of it I reached down a grabbed it again, lol.

I started wadding down to the grass bed and surprisingly I didn't hook up there.. it certainly looked prime.

I wadded back over to where my dad was to see how he was doin. He still hadn't hooked up. After fishing that log jam a while some more with the fluke, and not getting anything. By my dad's suggestion, I put on a wacky rig a 4" senko. I tossed over to some logs, *bump* *bump*, my line started movin off, I gave it some slack line, it tightened it back up and set the hook. Right away it started bull dogging and doing some serious drag stripping. I got toward open water and loosed my drag up, it wasn't long before I started tightening it back up a little cause it was getting all up in the grass, Thankfully I had a 10lb leader rather then 8lb. I started working it toward dad so he could lip it, but she wouldn't have anything of it. She started taking drag and went back out a good 15 feet. I got it over to me after a while, and lipped it! First fish I've caught in a good while to were my arm started getting tired, lol. I'd also like to thank bender for them awesome sicko's... great baits, glad I got some.

Dad took his phone out and took a few pics.

We caught a few more smaller fish, and called it quites cause the skeeters were starting to come out and it was getting dark, plus you gotta do a little tropsin to get back.

Hope everyone had a good 4th, and thanks for reading.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-05-11 at 01:11 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.