Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-10, 05:03 AM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Obsolete rods??

When I was a kid my Dad purchased many rods for me as gifts, but his knowledge about fishing is slightly dated as i have mentioned on here before. So now I have 3 rods that are 5'6" Medium graphites. Are these still useful for anything in particular or should i start phasing them out? I typically just spool em with 12lb mono and have used em for crankbaits, spinners, surface baits, and used to t-rig worm with em when i didnt know better...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 07:00 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Those short rods are ideal for tossing spinnerbaits and surface baits from shore where your often trying to make casts around overhanging tree branches and small open pockets in shore lined brush. I'd hang on to a couple at least.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 07:43 AM   #3
Bob Smith

Got to go with Keith on this one. Short rods are still useful for up close and personal spinnerbait fishing and they are great for dog walking type top waters. Use the Jimmy Houston roll cast method for the spinnerbaits. With a little practice you'll get the bait under docks, low handing limbs and other structure and land that puppy in the water as soft as pitching/flipping soft plastics!
Old 04-21-10, 01:27 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

I agree that these rods are ideal for getting baits into tight places. Spinnerbaits, Chatterbaits, and popping topwater baits to name a few.
Old 04-21-10, 08:34 AM   #5
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Also good if you do any stream wading to avoid overgrown branches, etc.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 08:51 AM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I assume you are talking about the pistol grip type rods...I still have a couple of them myself but they don't get used that often. But, every once in a while they are handy, especially when I fish one particular lake where the entire edge of the lake is covered by overhanging willows. A nice little roll cast with a spinnerbait or even a small crankbait is very effective. I'd keep using them!!!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 10:14 AM   #7
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Better idea!

Send them to me (I'm in Michigan) and I will modify them to use for ice fishing. Will gladly pay all shipping costs
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 02:17 PM   #8
Raul

I have a couple of 20+ years old Berkley Lightning Rods in that length, when I need to make a pin point accurate cast that´s the first thing I´ll grab, the bait lands on the spot like if had placed it with my hand; so I wouldn´t call them "obsolete". Also, like Keith mentioned, they are great for bank fishing.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 06:36 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you can afford to, you can start at least one of them out, or maybe even replace them with a similar 6'-6'3" rod. But before you start replacing rods that are perfectly fine, make sure you've got enough. I know, I know... "You can never have enough!" But seriously, if you're retying baits all the time due to lack of rods to throw them on, buy more rods before you start replacing. I'm getting to the point where I've got a rod and reel for most of the techniques I employ often. Maybe one more combo, and then I'd feel comfortable upgrading some of my gear.

But like the others have said, these rods would make great "sniper" rods. You can easily throw spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and topwaters to tight places on these rods. they definitely wouldn't be good for long distance casting though.

BB
Old 04-24-10, 11:10 AM   #10
screwballl

For bass I have a few specific rods, 6-7'. Anything shorter is just an extra rod that I tend to never use anymore.

I have pretty much retired my old rods to bluegill duty... just keep a cheap UL reel with 4-6 lb line on them. That way if a reel breaks, I buy another for $5-10, and in the rare occasion a rod breaks or drops in the water, I am not out anything.

I actually broke one the other day when a giant underwater softshell turtle took my bait. I have previously caught this same turtle on newer and stronger line and had him within 3 feet of me (the first time I never realized what it was, I was thinking a big fighting catfish). This dang turtle is around 3 feet long from head out to tail end of the shell, and at least 2 feet across the top, side to side. He eats anything from tiny bits of panfish bait all the way up to shiners or 3-4" bluegill that I have used for live bait bassin.

When I broke it, I was pissed at first, but then realized "hey this rod was probably as old as I am", (I am in my early 30s) so I pretty much just shrugged it off and used that previously 5'6" rod as a 4'2" rod (or whatever was left of it) and continued to catch bluegill on it. When I got home, I just swapped that reel to another old aqua green zebco rod for continued bream fishin.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 02:31 PM   #11
bamabassman

If you are gonna get new rods, do yourself and others a favor. Donate the old rods and reels to a youngster or an organazation. This will help our youth and give you a huge smile as well.
Old 04-24-10, 05:20 PM   #12
walkeraviator

Well as it stands now, these rods are gonna remain my daily use rods as i cant afford to go replacing them yet, and with them included i have a grand total of 5 rigs...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:37 AM   #13
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
If you are gonna get new rods, do yourself and others a favor. Donate the old rods and reels to a youngster or an organazation. This will help our youth and give you a huge smile as well.
That is a good idea for people that have the extra rods available that will likely never get used again.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 08:37 AM   #14
AUFred

Fortunately fishing gear is not like computers and home electronics where older gear no longer works as things are updated. Really true the way the economy is hurting many of us. Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade over time but the fish don't know the difference if you are catching fish. Good idea to donate older gear as you update. Children's fishing organizations could use the stuff.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.