Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-05, 01:45 PM   #1
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9
Default Tubes??

I just bought a pack of tubes, ive never used them before. I was just wondering how you are supposed to use these. Thanks guys.
Old 11-12-05, 02:37 PM   #2
Unregistered

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/tu...ing-tips.shtml.. This will give the information that yopu are looking for.
Old 11-12-05, 04:10 PM   #3
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

love I fished them this year almost 80% of the time. I have an article I wrote for a sponsor I will post once I get back from fishing. I will tell you some of my favorite/secret tubes on aim.
Old 11-12-05, 07:17 PM   #4
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

ok thanks alot fish on
Old 11-12-05, 08:55 PM   #5
Fish On

Mastering the Tube
When I’m fishing and fish are inactive I fish a tube. I have fallen in love with the tube because of the results I get from it. The tube is great because it is compact and imitates crawfish which bass love. The tube is a soft plastic and can be found in tackle shops. Since the tube imitates a crawfish, you should know that crawfish average three inches in length. Crawfish change color during the different seasons so it is important to keep this in mind when fishing with tubes. You should choose colors based on the natural color of a crawfish during that season.
Presentation

There are many ways to rig a tube. First, is Texas rigged, which glides easily through weeds. The Texas rig, requires a strong hookset to get the hook through the tube. Also, some action is taken away with Texas rigged tubes. Second, my favorite is using a tube weight. I have learned the lighter the weight the better, because it takes longer to fall and allows more time for a fish to hit. I also prefer the tube weight because the hook is protruding so when the fish bites it is easily hooked.. Now I will explain presentation........
Dead Sticking- Dead Sticking is dragging the tube across the bottom. I move the tube an inch about every 5 seconds. While dragging it you will feel resistence, which means set the hook! Sometimes you will see your line run when you are not moving the tube which means fish.
Up and Down- This presentation works better for a little more active fish. This requires a tiny jerk from your rod to get the tube about five inches off the bottom. The fish will hit the tube on the fall.
The bite

Throughout all of my time fishing I have learned four types of bites. First, is when you are casting and letting out slack to keep the tube next to structure. You will see a pause in the line and set the hook fast because often they touch it and spit it out quickly. Second, is when the tube is still going to the bottom or on the bottom. You feel a bump this is a fish and always set the hook with authority. Set hook quickly so you don’t gut hook the fish. Third, is when you feel a bit of tension on your line. Many people don’t set the hooks because they think it is weeds but often it is a bass. In a tournament you don’t want to miss a fish and lose the tournament because of your foolish mistake of thinking a bass is weeds. Finally, my favorite is when you see your line running. For this you will not feel a bump but you will see it. This means you have a bass and set the hook quickly before they spit it. If you don’t watch your line you will miss this kind of bite!

Time of Year

When I’m tube fishing I like to fish from early spring to the early summer. I find tubes are really a spring bait. It seems to die off after the summer begins you can still catch a few fish in the dog days of summer. In the spring you can catch fish after fish with the tube and the tube is one of my favorite bed fishing lures. While bed fishing, cast passed the bed and reel it into the middle of the bed. The bass will then pick it up and try to move it, that’s when you set the hook. As spring, goes by the tubes greatness dies.
Areas to target

The tube is great for fishing numerous structures. One great structure is drop offs. I love to fish the tube passed the drop off and slowly crawl the tube up it imitating a weak crawfish. I also will drag the tube up and down! Weeds are another great structure to attack. I prefer fishing a weighted tube when there are pockets in the weeds. If it is just mats of weeds I will Texas rig a tube! I love to cast right next to grass lines and give slack if there is a bump or pause in the fall I will set the hook. I also like skipping a tube into a bush and usually you see a splash! The fish usually move under bushes during the heat of the day to relax. My favorite is fishing sand bottoms and imitating a crawfish crawling on the sand. Finally, fishing timber you must give slack so the tube will stay close to the target. This is when Texas rigged tube is superior because it will not be snagged.
Equipment

When I am fishing a tube I have a lot tackle I bring. First, is forceps. Forceps are a must while tube fishing. Often the tube can be deep and forceps will help you a lot. Second, the tube. I prefer a tube that is 2.5 inch or 4inch. My favorite is 2.5 inch because you catch many fish and many monsters(3.5lb and 5lb this year on 2.5inch tube). The four inch is great for larger fish and the kicker in tournaments! When you fish with a large tube you will find you don’t catch as many fish. I like to put a tube weight that weighs 1/8 or 1/16 ounce because it has a slow fall. The colors I prefer are watermelon(normal crawfish), pumpkinseed(normal crawfish), black(molting crawfish) and white(imitates minnow) all with heavy salt. Some companies I prefer are Venom and Mizmo. When it comes to rods I like anywhere from 6 feet to 6.5 feet. I like medium power with a fast tip and a lot of backbone for hooksets. My tube rod is a 6 foot medium powered avid St.Croix rod with a fast tip. While tube fishing I like to use six or eight pound line so I can cast light tubes. If you are going to fish heavy cover use ten or twelve pound line.

By David Scott
See more articles at
www.protackle.net
www.sunrizetackle.com
www.alluringbaits.com
www.boatboys.com
www.fish307.com
Old 11-12-05, 09:01 PM   #6
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the only way i fish tubes is driften them
Old 11-12-05, 09:03 PM   #7
bass kicker

hey fish on ever fish the niagra river i herd they work good there
Old 11-12-05, 09:15 PM   #8
bass kicker

fish on

how did you get sponsered
Old 11-12-05, 10:45 PM   #9
Fish On

Nope only fish New York.

I got sponsored by a ton of work sending resumes and working for my sponsors!
Old 11-13-05, 07:52 AM   #10
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

One thing that helps a lot in tube fishing is to tear out every third tailpiece (tentacle) from the skirt. This allows the skirt to move much more extensively whenever activated by movement or current and even when slightly twitched.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-05, 12:21 PM   #11
Fish On

usually mine fall off by having a fish, tackle box closing on tentacle and me playing with the tube or making a knot!
Old 11-15-05, 01:15 PM   #12
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish On
Mastering the Tube
When I’m fishing and fish are inactive I fish a tube. I have fallen in love with the tube because of the results I get from it. The tube is great because it is compact and imitates crawfish which bass love. The tube is a soft plastic and can be found in tackle shops. Since the tube imitates a crawfish, you should know that crawfish average three inches in length. Crawfish change color during the different seasons so it is important to keep this in mind when fishing with tubes. You should choose colors based on the natural color of a crawfish during that season.
Presentation

There are many ways to rig a tube. First, is Texas rigged, which glides easily through weeds. The Texas rig, requires a strong hookset to get the hook through the tube. Also, some action is taken away with Texas rigged tubes. Second, my favorite is using a tube weight. I have learned the lighter the weight the better, because it takes longer to fall and allows more time for a fish to hit. I also prefer the tube weight because the hook is protruding so when the fish bites it is easily hooked.. Now I will explain presentation........
Dead Sticking- Dead Sticking is dragging the tube across the bottom. I move the tube an inch about every 5 seconds. While dragging it you will feel resistence, which means set the hook! Sometimes you will see your line run when you are not moving the tube which means fish.
Up and Down- This presentation works better for a little more active fish. This requires a tiny jerk from your rod to get the tube about five inches off the bottom. The fish will hit the tube on the fall.
The bite

Throughout all of my time fishing I have learned four types of bites. First, is when you are casting and letting out slack to keep the tube next to structure. You will see a pause in the line and set the hook fast because often they touch it and spit it out quickly. Second, is when the tube is still going to the bottom or on the bottom. You feel a bump this is a fish and always set the hook with authority. Set hook quickly so you don’t gut hook the fish. Third, is when you feel a bit of tension on your line. Many people don’t set the hooks because they think it is weeds but often it is a bass. In a tournament you don’t want to miss a fish and lose the tournament because of your foolish mistake of thinking a bass is weeds. Finally, my favorite is when you see your line running. For this you will not feel a bump but you will see it. This means you have a bass and set the hook quickly before they spit it. If you don’t watch your line you will miss this kind of bite!

Time of Year

When I’m tube fishing I like to fish from early spring to the early summer. I find tubes are really a spring bait. It seems to die off after the summer begins you can still catch a few fish in the dog days of summer. In the spring you can catch fish after fish with the tube and the tube is one of my favorite bed fishing lures. While bed fishing, cast passed the bed and reel it into the middle of the bed. The bass will then pick it up and try to move it, that’s when you set the hook. As spring, goes by the tubes greatness dies.
Areas to target

The tube is great for fishing numerous structures. One great structure is drop offs. I love to fish the tube passed the drop off and slowly crawl the tube up it imitating a weak crawfish. I also will drag the tube up and down! Weeds are another great structure to attack. I prefer fishing a weighted tube when there are pockets in the weeds. If it is just mats of weeds I will Texas rig a tube! I love to cast right next to grass lines and give slack if there is a bump or pause in the fall I will set the hook. I also like skipping a tube into a bush and usually you see a splash! The fish usually move under bushes during the heat of the day to relax. My favorite is fishing sand bottoms and imitating a crawfish crawling on the sand. Finally, fishing timber you must give slack so the tube will stay close to the target. This is when Texas rigged tube is superior because it will not be snagged.
Equipment

When I am fishing a tube I have a lot tackle I bring. First, is forceps. Forceps are a must while tube fishing. Often the tube can be deep and forceps will help you a lot. Second, the tube. I prefer a tube that is 2.5 inch or 4inch. My favorite is 2.5 inch because you catch many fish and many monsters(3.5lb and 5lb this year on 2.5inch tube). The four inch is great for larger fish and the kicker in tournaments! When you fish with a large tube you will find you don’t catch as many fish. I like to put a tube weight that weighs 1/8 or 1/16 ounce because it has a slow fall. The colors I prefer are watermelon(normal crawfish), pumpkinseed(normal crawfish), black(molting crawfish) and white(imitates minnow) all with heavy salt. Some companies I prefer are Venom and Mizmo. When it comes to rods I like anywhere from 6 feet to 6.5 feet. I like medium power with a fast tip and a lot of backbone for hooksets. My tube rod is a 6 foot medium powered avid St.Croix rod with a fast tip. While tube fishing I like to use six or eight pound line so I can cast light tubes. If you are going to fish heavy cover use ten or twelve pound line.

By David Scott
See more articles at
www.protackle.net
www.sunrizetackle.com
www.alluringbaits.com
www.boatboys.com
www.fish307.com

cant u use them in the fall where theres a lot of wood structure. the lake i go to has wood structure and bluffs current flows and lillypads and tree stumps do u think i shoud use it
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 03:33 PM   #13
Fish On

Yes. The tube I fish all year round but it is at its best in the spring. I am still catching bass on tubes now so try them out and you will catch!
Old 11-15-05, 07:34 PM   #14
KH.

still cant get the hang of fishin tubes, never have done well on him, i will try again this spring, but i mostly use top waters and lizards then
Old 11-16-05, 04:10 AM   #15
wlb
BassFishin.Com Member

I saw a show one time with bobby garland the inventor of the original tube "Gitzit"and one of his tips was to thin out the tail like someone mentioned earlier, it does make a big difference in the action, too many tails make it bulky and keep the tails from "breathing".
This year I started using an internal weight/rattle combo made by Lindy, no more lost rattles and it makes a nice compact lure, but they are a little pricey.
wlb is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.