Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-09, 01:11 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Water temps and columns

My question is...Say you have a 60 degree surface temp. How many feet down does that temp run until the water temp raises for the winter and lowers for the summer and by how many degress per column? I remember as a kid swimming in lakes and how the water would be warm on top, but when you dive to 10', it felt like it dropped 10 degrees. I don't know if it did, but if felt like it. I have never swam in the dead of winter, but I have always been told that it is opposite for the winter, and the deeper water will be warmer. I have never paid much attention to water temp, I just fish when I can, but I am broadening my horizons for unknown reasons. Maybe I have been led wrong all these years. Some one talk to me breaker 1-9.
Old 03-21-09, 01:50 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What you are asking about is the thermocline.

This per WIKI

"Other water bodies

Thermoclines can also be observed in lakes. In colder climates, this leads to a phenomenon called stratification. During the summer, warm water, which is less dense, will sit on top of colder, denser deeper water, with a thermocline separating them. The warm layer is called the epilimnion and the cold layer is called the hypolimnion. Because the warm water is exposed to the sun during the day, a stable system exists, and very little mixing of warm water and cold water occurs, particularly in calm weather. One result of this stability is that as the summer wears on, there is less and less oxygen below the thermocline, as the water below the thermocline never circulates to the surface, and organisms in the water deplete the available oxygen. As winter approaches, the temperature of the surface water will drop as nighttime cooling dominates heat transfer. A point is reached where the density of the cooling surface water becomes greater than the density of the deep water, and overturning begins as the dense surface water moves down under the influence of gravity. This process is aided by wind or any other process (currents for example) that agitates the water. This effect also occurs in Arctic and Antarctic waters, bringing water to the surface which, although low in oxygen, is higher in nutrients than the original surface water. This enriching of surface nutrients may produce blooms of phytoplankton, making these areas productive.

As the temperature continues to drop, the water on the surface may get cold enough to freeze and the lake/ocean begins to ice over. A new thermocline develops where the densest water (4 °C) sinks to the bottom, and the less dense water (water that is approaching the freezing point) rises to the top. Once this new stratification establishes itself, it lasts until the water warms enough for the 'spring turnover,' which occurs after the ice melts and the surface water temperature rises to 4 °C.

Waves can occur on the thermocline, causing the depth of the thermocline as measured at a single location to oscillate (usually as a form of seiche). Alternately the waves may be induced by flow over a raised bottom, producing a thermocline wave which does not change with time, but varies in depth as one moves into or against the flow."
Old 03-21-09, 08:09 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, now.... i ain't got no degree wtl. now put this in kuntry folk talk fer me pal. splain it real slow too.
Old 03-21-09, 10:48 AM   #4
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

^^^Hahahah I was thinking sort of the same thing Bama. I was wondering why they had to give the layers funny names, why cant they just call it the warm part and the cold part

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.