Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-12, 11:21 AM   #1
pampy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod and reel recovery

Recovered my Loomis rod and Diawa ss1300 reel after one and half years. Its been under water a long time. What special care should I take cleaning it up?
Anyone had this happen before? Thanks for any help. This was my favorite spinning rig.
pampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 12:11 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

pampy, I've never welcomed you to the site.
So, welcome to the site!
Man I love to hear when perseverance succeeds!
Personally, I would just send it to Pro reel, from the site here.
But that's me.
I in turn am interested in the story behind the Lost & Found aspects of your tale.
Old 01-23-12, 02:51 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's going to need a complete tear down and probably several new parts. Spinning reels can be very dificult to work on if you are not familoar with them. I would not recomend trying it unless you are very mechanically inclined. I can service it for you if you want.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 07:20 PM   #4
Jrob78

Nice going! I would love to see a picture of a combo that's been on the bottom of the lake for a year and a half.
Old 01-24-12, 01:16 AM   #5
bassinbob

Someday I hope to recover the sideplate to my Revo Premier. It's only about 2 ft out from shore. It feel off on a cast and sunk under the snot moss and into the mud. I have been lucky and got back my submerged combos right after they went in. Good luck cleaning them up.
Old 01-24-12, 05:09 AM   #6
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well if you want to learn rod building, you can strip down the rod blank and rebuild the rod. I would think the cork would be rotted and the guides shot after that. Or just replace using the "no questions asked" replacement policy. If it's a higher end loomis I would probably go that rout. Either way it will cost about the same when it's all said and done. Or maybe you can get a quote from one of the rod builders off this website. Good luck.
Old 01-24-12, 05:27 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

It is good to hear you found the lost treasure for sure. I lost a Citica and a rod a few years ago and found it a couple of months later. I stripped everything down and just sat the rod in the yard to dry. The reel finally crapped out on me after a few trips, felt like a flat spot on the bearing, but I am still using the rod. I guess I didn't get in it as deep as I thought by cleaning the bearings. Water did manage to get under some of the epoxy, but it has held strong so far. As far as the reel, I would recommend sending it off it still holds good value to you and let a pro, like Pro Reel or DVT Mike, handle the situation.
Old 02-04-12, 07:14 PM   #8
pampy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the welcome. I finally got my computer back up and running.
Well here is the rest of the story.

This all took place just above the Barker hole, about 5 miles below the dam. Lost the rod and reel in late march or early April of 2010. Looked, and dragged big trebles and could never get it. Had used the same method to retrieve another rod the year before. I live on the upper end of Bull Shoals Lake and that year the rains came and the lake got 35 feet over power pool. Thought that was the end of my loomis 721. In Jan of this year, 2012, my fishing partner was out alone and fishing in the same general area hooked a small stick that had gotten around the loose line, no bait on it , I had broken it off and pitched in down on the deck harder than I should have and it bounced over the side. We were no more than 15 feet from the bank and marked the spot with a big outcrop of rocks. Well back to the retrieval, He hooked the stick a eighth of a mile up current from where it went in. Don't know how this was possible, but it happened. Thereis a lot of current downstream in the upper end. It came up handle first and he immediately recognized it cause I had a red wrap on the handle. Lucky it came all the way in and didn't fall back in. The rod was just a little muddy and the reel cleaned up easily . Thought it would a real big mess after nearly 2 years. Should of taken a picture of it. Never thought I would see it again let alone be able to clean it up.
pampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 07:36 PM   #9
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send it to a professional as soon as possible. I wouldn't even think about messing with that thing by myself. The rod you could probably wipe down and look over real good and tell if it's alright. The reel I'd have boxed up and shipped to be professionally cleaned as soon as possible!
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 08:27 PM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
It's going to need a complete tear down and probably several new parts. Spinning reels can be very dificult to work on if you are not familoar with them. I would not recomend trying it unless you are very mechanically inclined. I can service it for you if you want.
I'll second that! Kevin's worked submerged reels before, along with TONS of other reels. He knows what he's doing!
Old 02-04-12, 11:36 PM   #11
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a collection of cheap combos that I have dredged up. Got a lews speed stick once that was still usable, gave it to my dad. Of course, I've lost a lot more in the way if quality than Ive found.
Old 02-05-12, 05:55 AM   #12
joedog

pampy. great story! Thanks for sharing!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.