Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-12, 12:15 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Exclamation Banning of the Alabama rig on tournment circuits?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=k67nl0o0NfI

I want yall to watch this video before responding. When I first heard B.A.S.S. banned the Bama rig, I was against it. But after watching Scott Martin from FLW talk about it, he definitely has a point. Though I don't ever think that jig will stop being a bass fishing stable. However that's what they said about the texas rig worm - Which IMO it's use has diminished greatly on tournament circuits, hence diminished among the casual anglers.

I DO however think that B.A.S.S. should first concern themselves with banning the HydroWave. These guys are PROS, I don't think they should be able to use things that boost the fishes activity or whatever they claim it does. They're PROS and should have to catch them as they are like the rest of us.

What's yalls take on the whole issue?
Old 01-23-12, 12:29 PM   #2
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do and do not like the whole banning of the Bama rig. I think they shouldnt ban it, but more use it to certain regulations. I.e. regulating hooks, swimbaits used, tournys used in etc.

However, I do agree with you on the HydroWave. I havent used it... or even seen one in use. But from what I have seen on the internet I would think B.A.S.S. would concern themselves with that... but then again who knows.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 01:07 PM   #3
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well I guess that I will jump in here. First of all, I have a close friend that won a big tournament last fall on the Alabama Rig and I could not be happier for him.

When I was talking about this with friends, my first thought was if the state law allows it then the angler should be able to throw it in the tournament. Then a great point was made to me. State law allows live bait but we don't allow live bait in our tournaments. So, I had to do some more thinking on this subject.

Obviously if state law says it is illegal to throw then you can't use it. The state of Kentucky has not said that, yet. I don't mind that BASS banned it but I am also just as happy that FLW did not. Ok, that seems like I am playing both sides of the fence and I guess that I am. I think that the story of the Alabama rig can not be complete until next fall. That way we will have been through a pre-spawn, spawn, and post spawn. If this rig is as effective as what everyone is saying, that should be the only lure winning a tournament this year. I don't think that will happen but only time will tell. I do look forward to the tournament results to see what lures are winning and how the alabama rig plays a part. This rig may be a great fish catching tool but in order to catch a fish an angler must first find a fish. I guess we will wait and see what happens.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 01:39 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I really don't care about Alabama rig.
But the hydrowave?
With out hesitation....MOST DEFINITLY SHOULD BE BANNED BY TOURNAMENTS, ACCROSS THE BOARD!
I don't believe in hunting Bear over trash barrels and I don't believe in salt licks to bait deer. And in my honest opinion, the hydrowave falls in this category!
Remember this is only MY opinion and thats it.
Old 01-23-12, 02:02 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I think the fact that B.A.S.S. hasn't banned the Hydrowave ought to tell you something.
Old 01-23-12, 02:18 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I think the fact that B.A.S.S. hasn't banned the Hydrowave ought to tell you something.
If it starts with M and rhymes with funny, then yeah!
Old 01-23-12, 02:22 PM   #7
Tavery5

The few Pro Anglers that I have had an opportunity to talk with have shared their opinions about the A-rig and Hydrowave. They have said they feel the A-rig should be gone, and Hydrowave is good tool. If they represent the concenus opinon of most Pro anglers out there, maybe that is why B.A.S.S. has responded the way it has.
Old 01-23-12, 02:26 PM   #8
lilmule

While i could be mistaken I think when it was first introduced it was banned(hydrowave).
And tend to agree with joedog it should be now,no longer a contest of fishing skills but who has backing,$,and eq often specialized .Underwater cameras to check spots out,electronics that pick spots out one would or could easily miss,hog callers and hog catchers.
Id love to see fishoff in bass events be in 12 ft jonboats,no outboards and nothing in a depth finder than a simple 100 dollar unit,4 rods per contestant,no sound devices ,no dynamite,no a rig,as 1 hook per rod.Then you just might find out who does really know something.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 04:16 PM   #9
hootie
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
while i could be mistaken i think when it was first introduced it was banned(hydrowave).
And tend to agree with joedog it should be now,no longer a contest of fishing skills but who has backing,$,and eq often specialized .underwater cameras to check spots out,electronics that pick spots out one would or could easily miss,hog callers and hog catchers.
Id love to see fishoff in bass events be in 12 ft jonboats,no outboards and nothing in a depth finder than a simple 100 dollar unit,4 rods per contestant,no sound devices ,no dynamite,no a rig,as 1 hook per rod.then you just might find out who does really know something.
yes yes amen!!!
hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 05:13 PM   #10
bassinbob

joe they won't do that because they have to sell product and the pros need sponsers to fish. Just think how many companies have jumped on the a rig band wagon. They are being sold like crazy. At first I thought I'd never use on but now ponder what it would be like to try it just for fun. It's leading the sheep to slaughter with all the new and improved products. I have fun trying out a few new things myself. But I don't try every new reel or rod or bait out there.
Old 01-23-12, 05:54 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

As far as the Alabama rig goes, I don't have an honest opinion yet. At first I expected it to be a flash in the pan gimick that would go away just as fast as it showed up, but now I don't think that's the case. On one hand I am worried about what it will do to the lakes we fish. I always wondered about the mortality rate of fish that were hooked on the rig because of them fighting against each other and possibly tearing up their gills and such. But Scott made a point in the video that I never thought of when he talked about anglers now being able to catch suspended fish that in the past were passed up for more active fish, and these suspended fish may need to be left alone for periods of time to recover from the pressure we put on them. I have said all along that Alabama rig or not, you still had to be around fish to catch them. And that is where I am conflicted. I don't know if I am against the rig in tournaments or not, it's not like you just take it out of the box and have 20lb bags jumping in the boat with their fins up. You still have to be in the right spots and fish with the right presentation to get bit. I guess I am just neutral on the subject right now.

Now for the Hydrowave I really don't see the problem with it. All it does is produce sounds of baitfish, just at a really high quality. Well all the people who are saying it should be banned need to stop and go through their crankbait boxes and see just how many crankbaits they have with rattles to accomplish the same thing.
Old 01-23-12, 06:41 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Just watched the clip and Scotts point about giving those suspended/non active/transitional fish some time to rest makes sense. We have all heard the cliche that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water or 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish, but after spending thousands of hours and over 30 years on the water with only one goal.......I have often been frustrated while fishing a BOW that I knew held a good population of fish, found them on the graph but couldn't catch them. If I'm the only one I'll shut up...........................that's what I thought. Coming at this from a non-tournament catch and release (or transfer) perspective I want to catch those fish (see my signature) period. They can rest later after I leave
Old 01-23-12, 06:50 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I'm merely suggesting BASS hasn't banned the hydrowave because it isn't an unfair advantage; i.e. it doesn't work.
Old 01-23-12, 06:59 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm merely suggesting BASS hasn't banned the hydrowave because it isn't an unfair advantage; i.e. it doesn't work.
Well NFE (Bryce) that's it..... I have had just about all your crap I can stand. As a self described psuedo-engineer I have spent countless minutes studying and evaluating the Hydro-wave and I find your comments to be childish, opinionated, and just generally unacceptable. I am hereby giving you notice that I am sending a certified letter containing all your posts that fit that description to the owners of this site and the President of the World demanding that you be banned from this site no later than 10 days from now..... FOREVER. save me a seat
Old 01-23-12, 10:18 PM   #15
MIbasser

I don't care one way or the other way on the A-rig. (keep in mind this is 3rd hand knowledge so don't get on me about it) I did hear from the President of the MI B.A.S.S. Federation that a lot of the fish that were weighed in and even those that were released on the water died. I have not fished an A-rig so I can't speak on it first hand, but it sounded like as the fish was fighting it was getting snagged by the other hooks in the gills were being torn and the sides were getting tore up as well. Just food for thought.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 10:22 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
While i could be mistaken I think when it was first introduced it was banned(hydrowave).
And tend to agree with joedog it should be now,no longer a contest of fishing skills but who has backing,$,and eq often specialized .Underwater cameras to check spots out,electronics that pick spots out one would or could easily miss,hog callers and hog catchers.
Id love to see fishoff in bass events be in 12 ft jonboats,no outboards and nothing in a depth finder than a simple 100 dollar unit,4 rods per contestant,no sound devices ,no dynamite,no a rig,as 1 hook per rod.Then you just might find out who does really know something.

Pretty sure I'd rather watch paint dry
Old 01-23-12, 10:33 PM   #17
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like Scott's idea with it not allowed in big tournaments. I also really respect him for not trowing it and stick to his game plan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.