Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-12, 05:30 PM   #1
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need New Spinner / Cranking Setup

My current casting setups are on MH rods. I use one mainly for jigs / flipping into heavy stuff, the other for wormin.

I have 2 spinning setups, one is lightweight, on a M/F rod for my weightless dingers, dropshot etc. The other is on a M/F with braid I use for my topwater frogs.

I'm looking for a setup I can use more for my cranking & spinners. Looking for recommendations for rod / reel combo.

Last edited by sdesi2010; 02-01-12 at 12:13 AM.
sdesi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 12:31 PM   #2
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Also, looking for thoughts/opinions on glass vs. graphite. Anyone fish with glass rods for spinnerbaits?
Old 02-01-12, 10:02 PM   #3
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I would use a 7' M or MH, but in a slower action. I know some people that prefer glass for this application but personally I prefer graphite for its sensitivity.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 11:31 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Crankbaits work well on longer rods, something 7ft or longer if your stature allows. Let the weight of the baits you will be using determine the power of the rod. Many people prefer to throw crankbaits on rods with a slower tip, something like a moderate or moderate fast. Glass -vs- Graphite, will go on forever, I prefer graphite, in many cases it is less bulky, lighter, and more sensitive.

Spinnerbaits IMHO can be thrown on any rod you own, so long as the weight of the bait does not overpower the rod. If you want to feel the thump thump thump of the blades then go with something with a faster tip. Longer rods for casting distance, shorter rods for accuracy.
Old 02-02-12, 08:05 AM   #5
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been thinking about this as well. I do mostly shallow water cranking and jerkbaits. With this as my main crankin use, I figured I could pair the rod with something I can use more interchangable with spinnerbaits.

My thoughts are that I'd get a 6.1:1 or 6.4:1 reel.

Don't want to go over $300ish for both

I have been looking at a different Abu Revo reels. I have a BPS PQ & a Lews Speed Spool, I really like it, but have heard great reviews about the Revo's.

As far as rods, I've been looking at Falcons, Croix & Carrot Stix
Old 02-02-12, 09:59 PM   #6
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, I'm torn between some rods/reels:

Reels:
Revo Winch ~$200
Lews Speed Spool ~ $100
Lews Tourney Speed Spool ~$150

I have a speed spool, possibly like to try the tourney model. Anyone with any experience with these?

Rods:
I'm looking at a few different rods:
Carrot Stix Wild casting ~$100
Falcon Bucco or Bucco micro guide ~ $100-$130
Powell Endurance Crankbait ~$170

What is the benefit of micro guides? Just a smoother cast for longer casts?

Keep in mind, I'm looking to stay around $300, and I know most will say reed is more important. Guess I just want to hear it again. I'm open to other suggestions for both. Thoughts?
Old 02-02-12, 10:22 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if it were me bud......either the falcon or the powell. micro guides are awesum man. i now own 4 rods with micro guides. IN MY OPION opnly now...i cast further with the same force as i do with the typical guided rod. and it is smoother. again, jsut my opion.
Old 02-02-12, 10:58 PM   #8
bobby_viverette
BassFishin.Com Member

I am looking to buy a new worm rod for $150 or less. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
bobby_viverette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 07:02 AM   #9
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I used to use glass rods for cranks and spinner baits, but switched to complosite just because of the weight difference. For Smaller shallower diving cranks like Killer B-1's, SK 1-3's, DT3-6 and the smaller normans. I use a St.Croix Premier med. power, moderate action, I love the Premier MH. moderate action rod for 3/8 oz. spinner baits and 1/2 oz. lipless cranks as well as cranks that dive 8 to 12 feet. But I do tend to break 'em when ripping lipless cranks out of the vegetation. Have broken two in the last four years. They will do ok with 1/2 oz. spinner baits but they feel like they're over powered by them. There isn't much give left in the rod when a fish takes it so it's easier to miss the bigger fish when they hit.
Old 02-04-12, 05:23 PM   #10
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the help & info guys.

I'm really trying to justify another reel, especially one in a 5.4:1 or slower, that is really only used for crankin. I don't do that much crankbait fishing, especially the deep water cranking that really requires such a slow retrieve.

My thoughts are hopefully that I can get by with a 6.1:1 retrieve with the shallow water, square & jerkbaits. I'll get a medium action rod that can also do some soft swim baits, plastics and possibly even my lipless cranks.

I can through some 10-12lb flouro on be done.

My setups will end up looking like this for 2012:
- BPS PQ 6.4:1(I think, maybe 6.1:1) on a MH BPS Extreme rod, currenlty w/ braid, for jigs, pitching, spinnerbaits, chatters & buzz baits.

- Lews Speed Spool 6.4:1 with an Abu Veritas MH with 16lb Flouro for wormin, but can also do spinnerbaits & chatters, and lipless in heavier cover.

- Sahara spinning on a MH St. Croix w/ braid for frogin, topwaters & some pitchin

- Diawa spinning on M Mojo Bass w/ 8lb flouro for lightweight presentations, wacky rigs, drop shots etc.

- New setup
Old 02-04-12, 06:00 PM   #11
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I say go with the Lew Tournament and Falcon rod. I'd get the 6:1 and 7' MH. If you're mainly shallow cranking with square bills, then a 6:1 can be better then a 5:1 depending on the cover.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.