Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-12, 09:43 AM   #1
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Reel Backing - Always, Sometimes, Never?

With such a light & easy winter up north, I'm looking to respool my reels already. I'm looking at what seems like more threads lately about people only stripping off roughly half of their line and using the rest as backing.

This makes tons of sense, because I can use a cheaper line as backing then spool the last 75-100yds with my prefered line.

Just a couple of questions: (Sorry for so many lately)

- What knot do you use to tie the lines together?
- Are their certain knots for different lines? Meaning if I'm using mono as backing, and braid as a main line, etc.
- What about tying lines of different diameters together? Problems?
- What do you use as a backing? Heavier test than normal etc?
sdesi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 09:51 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Q#1-2-3=Since the knot will never see the light of day I just tie whatever knot I feel like. Just make sure it's not bulky or have long tags. Q#4 Again since the backing will never leave the spool use whatever you want. I usually use old braid just because it's light weight.
Old 02-05-12, 10:24 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When I'm using braid or fluorocarbon, I always put a cheap mono backer on.

I use an double uni knot or albright special. No sense taking a chance with a bad knot when tying a good one will only take a couple seconds longer. Either will work on different kinds and sizes of line.

I use whatever I've got laying around. I've just about used up the free trilene XL I got from the NAFC. It was free (sorta) and sucked anyways, so it makes good backing. When I buy a cheap spool later on, it will be 12-15lb test.

BB
Old 02-05-12, 11:25 AM   #4
joedog

Braid, I always double uni and use backing.
Floro or Floro hybrid I do it kind of backwards.
First spool of the year I spool completley with choosen line. Then after I loose line to break offs and other sources and at the point of casting reduction due to shortness, I then re-tie ADDING what ever is needed or lost.
I now use leader on braid, same knot. (first year this last season, ya the forums fault ) I'll unspool and respool braid opposite direction usually at least once a year, braids are getting a lot smoother and durable so this year may not turn, we'll see.
Spinning equipment seems to give ME more retie opportunities, why not sure. Just me I'm sure. Usually I'll use line sometimes past retie knot due to realizing the time to add comes on water, not at home.
Old 02-05-12, 12:29 PM   #5
WTL

I dont even understand why bass spools are as deep as they are.
Old 02-05-12, 12:46 PM   #6
bassinbob

Occasionally I'll tie on some line from a spool that's low if I need to refill a reel. I tie a bloodknot. It's easiest to tie for me with bad fingers.
Old 02-05-12, 01:15 PM   #7
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[QUOTE=WTL;370422]I dont even understand why bass spools are as deep as they are.[/
It depends on what you're using the rod and reel for. If I'm pitching a worm, then why not save money by using a backer. On the combo that I use for trolling,,,, never. I don't want to take ANY chance of knot failure if I've got a hundred or more yards of line out behind the boat.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 01:24 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Apparently I am either lazy or dumb, or maybe both, since I have never used a backer line. I also use spinning reels almost exclusively, so I guess I'm the odd duck across the board.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 01:48 PM   #9
WTL

Im thinking in terms of performance here. Every aftermarket spool ive ever seen is very shallow. I think this might reduce total spool weight, although I admit Im guessing. For a 7 oz reel, if my guess is correct, I dont see why a shallow spool is standard. Nobody fishes for catfish with revo premiers.
Old 02-05-12, 02:38 PM   #10
bamabassman

i understand and sorta agree with billy here. why are the spools so deep for baitcaster SPECIFICALY designed for bass fishing ? i mean, let's say oyu DO get a nest so big an EAGLE could use it. you take off half a spool of un-useable line. you have half a spool left now. you take it off as well. i have tried to cast with a half a spool of line, jsut can't seem to cast as far or as accurately. seems ot be a waste to me. is htis because there has ALWAYS been spools that will hold so much line? or does the casting distance differ with 150 yards of line versus say......90 yards of line. 90 yards of line seems to be just about the right amount in my opion. and like billy stated, total reel weight would also be a lot lighter and the overall weight would too.
Old 02-05-12, 03:10 PM   #11
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i understand and sorta agree with billy here. why are the spools so deep for baitcaster SPECIFICALY designed for bass fishing ? i mean, let's say oyu DO get a nest so big an EAGLE could use it. you take off half a spool of un-useable line. you have half a spool left now. you take it off as well. i have tried to cast with a half a spool of line, jsut can't seem to cast as far or as accurately. seems ot be a waste to me. is htis because there has ALWAYS been spools that will hold so much line? or does the casting distance differ with 150 yards of line versus say......90 yards of line. 90 yards of line seems to be just about the right amount in my opion. and like billy stated, total reel weight would also be a lot lighter and the overall weight would too.
Just a hunch.
The manufactures want to cover as many wants as possible. I'm finding more and more people using 20 plus power lines. A big plus in like frogging and such. If you use small diameter lines, the manufacturer feels you'll just put more on and fill spool. Reverse the 'want' and have a small spool...large diameter person won't buy. And frankly, probably very little thought is even put into line retention.(wasted line) when designing a reel. I think a lot of smaller spool reels are technique specific.
Just an idea.
Old 02-05-12, 04:52 PM   #12
WTL

You could never be despooled by anything we fish for, even with 50+ braid or 30 lb mono. Not close. (especially considering such heavy lines, you can turn your drag up). Stripers are the only fish thats a maybe, but I doubt it, and again, what is the speciality use? Bass fishing or striper fishing? What percentage of Revo buyers are bass fishermen, and what percentage are going after golden dorado or peacock bass or stripers or something that might be able to pull a few yards off? And they already make specialty reels for everything else, anyway....

It seems more of their market would benefit from shallower spools. I'm not talking C4s here, but Revo STXs...yeah. People who buys those want performance. They are getting it, but if a simple fix could make it better, why not? Why arent they putting ABEC7 bearings in stock reels and supertuning from the start? Pay $300 for a reel, and you should expect that there isn't much more that you can do to make it better.

And why arent there more light baitcasters yet? The market is there. Why is it that people are still having to hunt for Pixies as if they were truffles?
Old 02-05-12, 07:32 PM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

lol i know 2 guys that fish with the revo winches for catfish, dang i cant see it, to much for cats, maybe on ebay i get abu 6600s for aroun 60.00 bux and that is high as ti gets, though i have a cardiff i paid 80.00 for

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.