Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-06, 10:44 AM   #1
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn
Default Spin Caster Help (Closed Faced spinners)

I think I know the answer to this question, but with all the knowledge on this site, other ideas and opinions can not hurt.
Every year my wife and I work with some special kids and adults at a fishing day. I want to pick up 4 or 5 poles for them to use.
Spin casters are the way to go ( closed face spinning reels) for these guys and gals.
My question is how good are the plastic reels.
At the store I have metal combos for around 30 dollars.
Plastic combos in a package with hooks and stuff for about 20 dollars
Metal reels for about 15 dollars
Mixture of rods from 9 to 100 dollars
I would like to get the metal combos but do not have enough of them. Only 3 in the store.
I am thinking of picking these up now and hope to get more in before “Fishing Day” in March.
Plenty of plastic boxed sets, in the store.. Not sure if these will hold up for the day. If the outfits only last one trip that will be fine. However don’t want them to fall apart until after the fishing is done.
Not sure if I want to buy the rods and reels separate.
Am thinking that if I do get the metal combos or put my own outfits together, the folks using them can take them home to use next year.
What do you guys think about the plastic boxed sets. Will they last the day?
Thanks C ya tonight after work
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 11:01 AM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The plastic ones, may, i repeat may, last one day. I have seen people use them for about 30 minutes till they break. It all depends. If you get the ones around 15-20 they should be fine, the ones I see break are the 10 dollar ones. I think it is great what you are doing too! To bad I dont have any spincasters or I would give them to you.
Old 01-21-06, 12:35 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup

my dad bought me a plastic one to start out with 7 years ago and it broke this summer so they hold up pretty well.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 02:24 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Huck, why not check with the store manager-tell him what you are doing, and you may get them donated with some good PR for the store.

I'd try to stick with the metal ones-the last thing you want with these special needs folks is an equipment failure.

I know you are not asking, but would donations help? I'd be more than happy to donate the cost of a rod and reel combo-just let me know.

I keep a couple Zebco 33s in the boat for people that don't fish-they are a good, dependable reel, and I'd bet if you took a poll most of us started fishing using one or something real similar.
Old 01-21-06, 05:07 PM   #5
zooker

am with reb here 33's are reliable and easy to use.

my first was a 202.second one was a 733 hawg -no drag-..

zooker
Old 01-21-06, 05:11 PM   #6
PowerBass

I learned on a Shakespeare, still have the rod and reel, reel is shot completley, rod is a keepsake, caught my first bass on it I believe.
Old 01-21-06, 05:41 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have never purchased a closed face spinning reel, so I have no advice on the matter.

I would just like to commend you, your wife and others involved for volunteering your time to allow special needs individuals to experience the joy of fishing. This is a beautiful thing you're doing, it is an example of a great humanitarian sharing his love of fishing with people who may otherwise never get the chance to experience it. You are an inspiration! God bless you, your wife, others involved, and Rebbasser for volunteering donations for the cause!

God bless you as well KH, your post came after mine so I had to add that too.

Last edited by Patrick Krueger, Jr.; 01-21-06 at 06:36 PM.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 05:49 PM   #8
WTL

Like a lot of the other guys I don't know spincasters too well. But on the question of budgeting, assuming that the plastic reels have a life of 1 day - and the metal reels have a life of 1 year - you would be much better off going with the metal 33s.
Old 01-21-06, 06:25 PM   #9
crankybait

spincasters are my specialty... ive used one for 1/2of the year until i figured out spinning was better. anyways, it was a shakespear, 12 dollar combo at walmart with 6 pound test. held up for a year of sunfishing and my first bass, until one day i accidentaly reeled it all the way in while putting it away. then the reel fell on the floor once and the fce snapped. but i think theyre reliable, with decent care
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 06:33 PM   #10
KH.

pm me i can donate a couple reels.i think its great what your doing. there metal so dont worry
Old 01-21-06, 09:45 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Huck, just call the local Bass Clubs, and ask for help with the rod and reels. They could probably come up with several in minutes to use. Just a thought, but if I was close to you I would have 4 of them you could use. People will help with this kinda stuff if you just ask. It also gives them the benefit of feeling like they have done something worth their time/money. So you help out all involved IMO

Lizards
Old 01-23-06, 01:41 AM   #12
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

if i had any worth giving you i would send them to you right away. I have a few zebco 33's but theyre in georgia, 12 hours away. i have a few other spincast reels but they are the cheap plastic ones so i wouldnt recommend these, sorry i cant help yoi, i really wish i could.
Old 01-23-06, 12:37 PM   #13
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

a good thing to do would be to go walmart, and check the big circle tube where the sale rods are. get some rods from there cheap, and then you can get the cheapest spincaster for about 5 dollars i have one of these it holds up well, but its not too smooth. i think a spinning reel would be easier to teach the kids with, thats my personal preference, you can get a shakespeare one for $12 at walmart, and those hold up VERY well and are quite smooth. i have one that has lasted a year and still runs perfect
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 04:13 PM   #14
senkosam

Bass Pro has many reels going in a price range of $9.49 to $20 for some decent spincast reels and Uncle buck rods for $12.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=TOP_SEARCH_GO

Shakespeare Synergy reels are okay for light fishing and cast well. Usually they are sold at K mart or Walmart for $9.95.

If you aren't donating the combos to the group, I would go with the better reels. They also have Scooby Doo and Barbie kits for $10.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 06:16 PM   #15
bassnman30

Got a Zebco 33 when I was 8. It's still going strong. (I'm 42) I was the big kid on the block, had a new 33 reel and a real fiberglass rod !
As was stated before, they last forever.
Old 01-23-06, 07:40 PM   #16
KH.

hey finn if you want mine just pm anytime, im more thaan happy to give them away!
Old 01-23-06, 07:41 PM   #17
rrw4258

yes, i have had my zebco 33 for many years now, i think around 8 years and still going strong. I let my nephews, and neises use these rods and reels all the time, and they do fine with them! I recommend the 33's! Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-23-06, 09:21 PM   #18
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

the 33's are very good reels, thats what i learned on.
Old 01-24-06, 08:17 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Give me a address. I got a couple of the better zebco closed faces that the kids dont use anymore and would be glad to donate. I think they are the zebco one reels. Smooth and cast well for a closed face and metal.
Old 01-24-06, 01:31 PM   #20
Wishing2BFishing

Huck,
I don't use spincast reels but I have read articles about people having success with the cheap plastic ones. In fact, I recall an article about some dude who took his daughter's pink plastic spincast for a summer tour. He would use it to catch bass, catfish, and a whole bunch of species. I believe his goal was to catch as many types of fish as possible on the pink Barbie rod. Evidently, the cheapie rod did not break.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 01:34 PM   #21
Wishing2BFishing

Huck, by the way, you are the man. That is really cool that you are volunteering to help these special needs people. I bet you will make their summer and give them an experience they will never forget.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 05:25 PM   #22
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Hi Folks,
Thank you, for all your kind words and offers. I spoke to some guys from two bass clubs in the area. They were not very helpful because any thing they give me will take away from there yearly outings.
I don’t want these folks to go fishing once a year. I would like them to go when they can.
The group home that my wife worked at doing her student teaching takes the guys out at least once a month. I wanted them to have their own equipment, so they could add fishing trips to their outings. To that effect I planned to purchase the equipment for them. Total of 16 sets. One set for the live in care giver.
I put aside at work:
10 eagle claw spin caster sets at 26 dollars each
3 zebco 33 reels at 16 dollars each
3 diawe (sp) casting rods at 8.97 each
2 zebco spin cast combos (dale enhart jr. NASCAR theme) for 22 dollars each
The live in care giver has his own gear.
I also added in some hooks and bobbers a small plastic box to hold the stuff.
OK all is well right! Not right just learned after all this that may lose job with in the next few months. Company was sold and no one knows what the new owner will do with the holdings. He paid 1.3 Billion for the company, figure he is going to sell it to make a profit.
So now do I spend the money for all this stuff or save it to live on?
Wife has left it up to me.
Son is willing to give me all the money he has saved for his car. Great! 25 dollars is a reel and a hook!
I’m willing to kick in my boat saving money.
OK got the money got the ok from family, got the gear on hold at the store, manager is going to kick in 30 percent discount. What could go wrong?! Nothing Right!
Nope! Forgot about the state, they wants 30 some odd dollars for the license.
Back to the drawing board.
The idea is a good one just need to put it on hold for a little while, to figure out how to get r done.
Thanks for all your support and offers.
Any ideas, please send them through
I am thinking of contacting a private lake near me and seeing if I can work a deal with them. Lake is closed for the winter but have left email for the owners. They might give them access for free or perhaps at a reduced rate.
Fishing only $265.00 a year
Fishing and Beach and Social outings $565.00 each person.
This is a little out of my range, especially if unemployed with a kid going to collage. Not to mention the our health problems of my wife.
Ok the bright side, No Work More Fishing !
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 07:05 PM   #23
crankybait

WOAH... its an amazing thing youre dong here man... not to be bad or anything, but i hug onto every cent i have unless someone needs it badly. to make a sacrifice for these kids is amazing. id do anything i can to help, so if you need me for any reason just ask
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 05:04 PM   #24
PowerBass

Huck,
You are an amazing person for willing to sacrifice the time and money for these poeple. May god bless you.

PowerBass

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.