Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-10, 11:22 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Sensitivity Tests

I know there's no real measurement for sensitivity in a rod, but how do you guys determine how sensitive a rod it.

I know a lot of guys use the tip to someone's throat while they talk method.

Also, at a fishing show, a custom rod builder had about a 2ft piece of line tied to the end of a dozen or so rods. he'd have you hold them, and he'd flick the line. I don't think it was that of a test though, at least how forcefully, he flicked the line.

So what do you guys use?

BB
Old 02-28-10, 11:27 PM   #2
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Honestly I just wait till i catch the first fish on the rod to tell so that doesn't help to buy a rod.
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 11:56 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've always heard the rod tip on the throat thing but I can feel it with every rod I've tried, cheap and expensive. Waffle told me he lightly runs the rod tip along the chain on a ceiling fan, i haven't tried it yet though.

I don't know if there is any way to really accurately measure sensitivity without some kind of special equipment.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:09 AM   #4
TN_Bassin

I use the tip to throat method. Sometimes when a don't have a throat available I'll take the rod tip to a speaker and see how low I can turn the volume down until I can't feel it anymore
Old 03-01-10, 12:12 AM   #5
keithdog

Honestly, I don't really try to determine the sinsitivity of a rod. What I do is pick a manufacturer that is known to be a quality company and very popular with it's customers. A company I trust based on what others have experienced. A company that stands behind their product, and offers a good warrenty to prove it. Then I'll research their product line to find rods that match my needs. I take into consideration how the rod is constructed, the quality of components. Then I get the rod in my hands, "if I can". I have purchased rods on line I havn't held in my hands, but based my choice on what I knew about the rod. In other words, I put my faith in all the factors I previously mentioned. So far I havn't regreted my decision. I really think if you do your homework, and pick a rod from a company known for their quality, and customer approval ratings, you can't go wrong.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:25 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
I use the tip to throat method. Sometimes when a don't have a throat available I'll take the rod tip to a speaker and see how low I can turn the volume down until I can't feel it anymore
That is what I like to do too. However, it is obviously something you can't do in a store. But at least you can do it to guide your future purchases.
Old 03-01-10, 08:53 AM   #7
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Honestly, I don't really try to determine the sinsitivity of a rod. What I do is pick a manufacturer that is known to be a quality company and very popular with it's customers. A company I trust based on what others have experienced. A company that stands behind their product, and offers a good warrenty to prove it. Then I'll research their product line to find rods that match my needs. I take into consideration how the rod is constructed, the quality of components. Then I get the rod in my hands, "if I can". I have purchased rods on line I havn't held in my hands, but based my choice on what I knew about the rod. In other words, I put my faith in all the factors I previously mentioned. So far I havn't regreted my decision. I really think if you do your homework, and pick a rod from a company known for their quality, and customer approval ratings, you can't go wrong.

Keith, you are my kind of guy! + 100! I get a kick out of watching folks test the "sensitivity" of a rod. The real test comes when you have it spooled up, bait attached, wind blowing, fishing in the grass with boat waves bouncing you all over the place. Hopefully the line is as sensitive as the rod, and the fish are biting hard!
Old 03-01-10, 11:05 AM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
I like that idea TN. At least with that you can control the volume and actually have something to measure different rods by. Rod X makes it to volume level 3 while rod Y only made it to 5. Sounds like something fun to try.
Old 03-01-10, 11:08 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Here's another one I though was interesting used by one of the guys over at the TT Forums. He places his phone on vibrate and lays it on the floor. Then he systematically moves the tip of the rod (on the floor) farther away from the phone as he calls it to make it vibrate. I think it would work better on certain types of floor, I'd think tile would be the best.

BB
Old 03-01-10, 12:19 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post

Agreed Keith. Since Gander is the only store within 4 hours from me, I generally don't get a chance to try out a lot of the stuff I buy, so it's all about research.
Old 03-01-10, 12:52 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Whats the rod to throat method?

Fishing rods I mean

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 03-01-10 at 01:02 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 01:04 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Whats the rod to throat method?

Well it looks kind of goofy while in Bas pro doing it, but a one takes the rod he/she is looking to buy and sticks it to the throat of another person. When the rod is on the other person's throat he/she makes grunting sounds to see if the rod translates the vibrations in the voicebox to the person's hand, who is holding the rod.
Old 03-01-10, 01:19 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Well it looks kind of goofy while in Bas pro doing it, but a one takes the rod he/she is looking to buy and sticks it to the throat of another person. When the rod is on the other person's throat he/she makes grunting sounds to see if the rod translates the vibrations in the voicebox to the person's hand, who is holding the rod.

(shaking head) thats what I was afraid of,lol.

Yea Ive always used a ball chain from a ceiling fan to run my rod tip up and down.Sometimes it very subtle,sometimes its very present.
I would think with your throat wouldnt create enough vibration to transfer down the rod...huh?...Never would have though of that.

But if I saw that at BPS,......I would expect to go around the corner and see another group farting on the tip to check sensitivity.lol
Old 03-01-10, 01:29 PM   #14
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
(shaking head) thats what I was afraid of,lol.

Yea Ive always used a ball chain from a ceiling fan to run my rod tip up and down.Sometimes it very subtle,sometimes its very present.
I would think with your throat wouldnt create enough vibration to transfer down the rod...huh?...Never would have though of that.

But if I saw that at BPS,......I would expect to go around the corner and see another group farting on the tip to check sensitivity.lol

Well I don't think that a womans voicebox can create significant enough vibrations, but I do know that a guys can.

And about that farting on the tip.... I'm not saying that I've tried it (I have), but a friend of a friend told me that a friend told him that his cousin tried it, and depending on the force of the flatulence, it works.
Old 03-01-10, 02:23 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Well I don't think that a womans voicebox can create significant enough vibrations, but I do know that a guys can.

And about that farting on the tip.... I'm not saying that I've tried it (I have), but a friend of a friend told me that a friend told him that his cousin tried it, and depending on the force of the flatulence, it works.

That can't help the resale value
Old 03-01-10, 03:13 PM   #16
Bassboss

I just take my rod (with the reel on it), pull some line off and put a bullet weight on it. I'll ask someone to hold it, and I'll walk back a 10, 20, than 30 feet or so. They tap on the weight and I see if I can feel them tapping on it. works really good.
Old 03-01-10, 03:20 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I just take my rod (with the reel on it), pull some line off and put a bullet weight on it. I'll ask someone to hold it, and I'll walk back a 10, 20, than 30 feet or so. They tap on the weight and I see if I can feel them tapping on it. works really good.
That's a good idea too Bassboss. That would replicate a real fishing scenario pretty well. You could bring your own reel into the store with you and try before you buy.
Old 03-01-10, 03:57 PM   #18
WaffleJaw

You can always tie on a cat toy and cast it out for your cat to attack!!...That'll get results!
Old 03-01-10, 06:20 PM   #19
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This is a trick I've been doing for a while to test rods in the store. Although it's obviously not as good as fishing with the rod, it's a definite step in the right direction because generally this little scrape test is very accurate IMO. Just make sure to use the same hand to hold the rod instead of having one in the left and one in the right.

I like to lightly rub the tip guide of the rod across the floor, whether its the carpet of my house or at a store. It you can fix a little bit of texture, like carpet or a tiny crank in the cement or knot in the wood floor of a store, you're in business.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:18 PM   #20
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Keith, you are my kind of guy! + 100! I get a kick out of watching folks test the "sensitivity" of a rod. The real test comes when you have it spooled up, bait attached, wind blowing, fishing in the grass with boat waves bouncing you all over the place. Hopefully the line is as sensitive as the rod, and the fish are biting hard!

^5 Bob. Like your spin on it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.