Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-10, 07:42 PM   #1
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to CanalStalkin
Default Curado "Greenie" Question

Hey guys, I have a chance to purchase a Curado 201B5, and was wondering if someone can tell me a bit about them. I know alot of people still use and love these reels. What makes people like them so much? How much do they usually go for in "near perfect" condition.

Last edited by CanalStalkin; 01-14-10 at 09:00 PM.
CanalStalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 11:39 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I see them for 80$ and I wish Shimano would go back to the way they constructed the Green Curado's. I personally don't own one but I have one that I use quite often. They are smooth, and cast crankbaits a mile. Someone else here will probably have more information than that though. If I had a chance to buy one I would come up with the money if I could and buy it.
Old 01-15-10, 12:30 AM   #3
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool, I got one on some other forums for 90 shipped. Guess that aint too bad considering the prices on E-bay. I'm sure I will be better off than if I would have bought a used Citica. Do they take well to bearing upgrades etc?
Old 01-15-10, 02:18 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I still have some of the first ones that came out that had the holographic paint job, sort faded between green and purple. For me, they just hold up. I am rough on stuff and low on maintenance. It's just me. But they are a cinch to clean when I do break down and do it. I have upgraded most of mine to the newer Curados, but the older ones still cast a ton, easy to set up, and just as smooth as when I bought them 10 years ago. No offense Muddy, but I love my stinkin She-Man-Os, best reels IMO.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 01-15-10 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to!
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 10:06 AM   #5
autigersupG3
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm fishing with Curado's and one Calcutta...I like the smoothness and the long casts I can make with the Curado's...so far they have been held up very well and I'm in the process of going away from all but the Curado's and my Calcutta...I have a 201B brand new in the box if you need another one...I use the right handed 200-B
autigersupG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 11:28 AM   #6
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Like everyone else says they are very smooth but my favorite thing about them is they are bullet proof. I use them hard and they hold up I have had a few for a long time too and they hold up very well.
Old 01-16-10, 01:26 PM   #7
Raul

The only s*y thing about an old Curado B series is the tension knob cap, why Shimano put a cheap plastic cap instead of an aluminum cap on a 120 dollars reel is beyond me , man, an aluminum cap canīt be THAT expensive . But you can purchase the aluminum cap from Shimano, itīs the same they used in the 200BSF and that they still use in the Castaic.

Why we Curado B series users love them so much ?

1.- They are built like a tank
2.- They are super reliable
3.- Become very smooth with use
4.- Cast extremely well

At $80-$90 itīs a no brainer deal.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 01:49 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

+ a bunch to my Shimano nation. Thanks for tip Raul. I never thought about changing it out. But I lost one on a Citica and need a replacement.
Old 01-16-10, 02:10 PM   #9
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome, glad I picked this up. Raul I will deffinately be replacing that cap. Another thing I was wondering is if the handle can be swapped. I love the way the new curado handles look with the big knobs.
Old 01-16-10, 04:52 PM   #10
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Just got the reel in the mail, this sucker is SMOOTH. I think this is gonna be the first of many Shimanos. Feels real solid too.
Old 01-16-10, 06:33 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Ahhhh, another convert. Makes me proud (Gently sweeps away a tear). hahahahaha
Old 01-16-10, 08:40 PM   #12
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

One thing I did notice when messing with the reel; was that after I dis-engage the spool (like to start cranking the lure in), if I do it slowly the button pops up all the way...but the handle turns slower than it should until I spin the handle fast then I hear a second little click. Then she is freed up and moving fast. Is this normal? It doesnt happen all the time. Am I just overthinking it haha. I guess I can just not turn it slow to engage the spool
Old 01-16-10, 08:50 PM   #13
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

I was told the cross pin on the spool shaft isn't engaging into the slots in the pinion smoothly. I was planning on getting it professionally cleaned and lubed anyways, so I guess this seals the deal.
Old 03-05-10, 12:30 AM   #14
Brauer-stache
BassFishin.Com Member

Reading this made we want to get out one of my old greenie's and start messing with it. I've got a serious case of cabin fever here in Indiana. Anyway, I've been a Shimano man from day one. I've tried some other brands, but I always seem to keep going back and getting shimanos. the old green ones will always be the standard. Everything you need and nothing you done for a reasonable price. It probably wouldn't hurt to switch out the bearing on them. It's real easy to do....
Old 03-05-10, 09:10 AM   #15
autigersupG3
BassFishin.Com Member

I have two of them and wish that all my reels were the Curado's...smooth and cast a long way...the only thing to me that is rinky-dink is the break cap being plastic on the models I have...But they are some of the best casting reels I have and I have a Calcutta that is a more expensive reel (also Ambassadors and ugh..Diawa Millionaire)...but I like the Curado better...You can throw small baits further...

By the way i have a left handed one brand new that I would let some have for a good price...I don't know How I ended up with a left handed reel..LOL
autigersupG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 09:17 AM   #16
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I hear they're really nice reels check out with review:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocuradoe5.html
Old 03-05-10, 09:49 AM   #17
Bender

Boss, I think they are talking about the Curado B series when they say "Old Greenie"

It was such a great reel that I believe Shimano tried to get back some of the loyal followers by making the new Curado E series green in color.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:54 AM   #18
mcole158
BassFishin.Com Member

Anyone know of a place where I can get replace parts for the old Curado's? Two brake pins fell to the ground last summer and I'd like to replace them.
mcole158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:07 PM   #19
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole158 View Post
Anyone know of a place where I can get replace parts for the old Curado's? Two brake pins fell to the ground last summer and I'd like to replace them.
Call Shimano. They'll probably send them to you at no charge.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:43 PM   #20
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
http://www.davesreelservice.com/

These are the guys that I use for my older Curados.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 04:49 PM   #21
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Boss, I think they are talking about the Curado B series when they say "Old Greenie"

It was such a great reel that I believe Shimano tried to get back some of the loyal followers by making the new Curado E series green in color.
Excuse me sir, there is no such thing as the "old" greenie, itīs "The Mean Green Feeshinī Machine" with all due respect please.

The truth is that the guys at Shimano had a brain fart when they discontinued the Mean Green and replaced it for the D series, not that the D series are bad, on the contrary, they are very good reels, buy hell ? why so BIG ? , fortunately ( and the low sales ) made them turn back on their paces ( probably somebody at Shimano got fired for stoopid ) and came with the new E series, Iīve tried them and they can be The Mean Green Feeshinī Machine .... II.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 04:50 PM   #22
3dkicker

Quote:
Check the website. Shimano has a listing of reel repair shops in each state or region.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 03-05-10 at 04:57 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.