Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-10, 10:01 PM   #1
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Updated Line Guide

I looked through the updated line guide and saw one big thing missing: copolymer based lines.
It can be used for surface/shallow lures, it can be used for medium or deep lures, finesse and just about everything. Copoly is starting to take over many areas where fluoro and mono is used.

So I guess my question is why the omission?
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 03:39 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Copolymer is generally lumped in with Fluorocarbon.
Old 03-12-10, 03:48 PM   #3
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Copolymer is generally lumped in with Fluorocarbon.
Personally I think it behaves more closely to mono than fluoro.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 03:50 PM   #4
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Personally I think it behaves more closely to mono than fluoro.

You could very well be right. Still lumped in with Fluoro though
Old 03-12-10, 04:59 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Guys...

Thanks for noticing the updated line guide!

The reason co-polymers are omitted is because co-polymers can have any number of chemical makeups. It may be only partially fluorocarbon, or it can mean the line is made up of three different kinds of fluorocarbon.

I think a lot of anglers tend to think co-polymer means "mono/fluoro hybrid", or rather, a non-fluoro line with an outer fluoro-coating.. which isn't really correct. Unfortunately, they have been marketed as such and it has caught on. My guess is most co-polymers are actually all fluorocarbon based now a days.

So the reason I leave them out is two fold...

1. They are not hybrid "mono and fluoro" lines, nor should they be considered a versatile "in-between". There is so many configurations and mixtures, it can be anything.

2. Full fluoro lines are generally superior in most every aspect to any partial-fluoro line on the market. It is my opinion that trying to land somewhere in the middle of both mono and fluoro is generally useless.

If you had a scale from 1-10, with 1 being lures/presentations that are best with full mono, and 10 being lures/presentations that are best with full fluoro, there would, in my opinion, be very few lures/presentations that would be in the 2-8 range. You either want one or the other.

I've actually been receiving some great questions like this from others via email, concerning fluorocarbon, copolymers and mono.

I've been putting together a really awesome Q&A for anyone who downloads the new Line Guide Cheat Sheet. If you put your email in the form (bottom of page) for the cheat sheet, I'll make sure I send you the subscriber-only Q&A...

Get The Line Guide Cheat Sheet (put email in form at bottom of page)

PS. The Q&A I'll be emailing out has one HOT little-known secret about fluorocarbon that is deadly serious to know. I talk about the Lab tests and the results... so sign up for the Line Guide Cheat Sheet and I'll make sure anyone who does gets the Q&A with this important tidbit.

Enjoy!

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 05:29 PM   #6
MallenManson

Good info Kevin. Really likin the new guide. Printed it out last night in fact
Old 03-12-10, 06:15 PM   #7
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi Guys...

Thanks for noticing the updated line guide!

The reason co-polymers are omitted is because co-polymers can have any number of chemical makeups. It may be only partially fluorocarbon, or it can mean the line is made up of three different kinds of fluorocarbon.

I think a lot of anglers tend to think co-polymer means "mono/fluoro hybrid", or rather, a non-fluoro line with an outer fluoro-coating.. which isn't really correct. Unfortunately, they have been marketed as such and it has caught on. My guess is most co-polymers are actually all fluorocarbon based now a days.

So the reason I leave them out is two fold...

1. They are not hybrid "mono and fluoro" lines, nor should they be considered a versatile "in-between". There is so many configurations and mixtures, it can be anything.

2. Full fluoro lines are generally superior in most every aspect to any partial-fluoro line on the market. It is my opinion that trying to land somewhere in the middle of both mono and fluoro is generally useless.

If you had a scale from 1-10, with 1 being lures/presentations that are best with full mono, and 10 being lures/presentations that are best with full fluoro, there would, in my opinion, be very few lures/presentations that would be in the 2-8 range. You either want one or the other.

I've actually been receiving some great questions like this from others via email, concerning fluorocarbon, copolymers and mono.

I've been putting together a really awesome Q&A for anyone who downloads the new Line Guide Cheat Sheet. If you put your email in the form (bottom of page) for the cheat sheet, I'll make sure I send you the subscriber-only Q&A...

Get The Line Guide Cheat Sheet (put email in form at bottom of page)

PS. The Q&A I'll be emailing out has one HOT little-known secret about fluorocarbon that is deadly serious to know. I talk about the Lab tests and the results... so sign up for the Line Guide Cheat Sheet and I'll make sure anyone who does gets the Q&A with this important tidbit.

Enjoy!

Kevin
Where do you put Pline CX and CXX in this mix. For me, these two lines are the best on the market.
Old 03-13-10, 01:49 AM   #8
screwballl

Cam, thats one of the reasons I asked that as well. For many of us that really do multiple techniques with only a few rods, the copolymer has the best of both words without being limited by the shortcomings of each.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 03:20 AM   #9
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kevin,

Thank you very much! You've probably heard this a lot, but, you're the man!
Old 03-13-10, 11:52 AM   #10
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Cam, thats one of the reasons I asked that as well. For many of us that really do multiple techniques with only a few rods, the copolymer has the best of both words without being limited by the shortcomings of each.
I could definitely see an advantage when using fewer rods. I typically carry 10 combos with me, and usually 8 of the 10 are spooled up with one of the other. Been that way for at least ten years.
Old 03-13-10, 02:38 PM   #11
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I did my own spreadsheet several months ago on the most used lines so I wouldn't be buying so many different types and weights.

Here the link for on using Excel 2003: http://www.mediafire.com/file/onyuno...Guide 2003.xls

And one for the newer Excel 2007: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2zum03...ype Guide.xlsx
Old 03-14-10, 03:45 PM   #12
CamG

The more I read through the line guide, the more I realized it's just that - a guide. I will continue to use my Pline CX, and CXX the same way I always have. Most of the line guide choices I agree with, and they fit the bill to what I am accustomed to. There are only a couple that I disagree with, but like I said it's just a guide.
Old 03-14-10, 09:59 PM   #13
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
The more I read through the line guide, the more I realized it's just that - a guide. I will continue to use my Pline CX, and CXX the same way I always have. Most of the line guide choices I agree with, and they fit the bill to what I am accustomed to. There are only a couple that I disagree with, but like I said it's just a guide.

Yep, I just feed the bait monkey $60 on P-line alone.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.