Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-11, 07:16 AM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Crab toes

Put the boat in a remote 40 acre private/watershed the other morning. Starts getting hot around 10am so I put my hat in my lap, put my brand new $300.00 prescription sunglasses in it, and proceed to pull my shirt over my head and.....plink!...my glasses flip off my lap and in the water. I immediately glance at the Lowrance and it reads 5.2...I quickly drop an anchor. The decision is clear...$300. is a lot of money to waste...besides I was alone and my vision is so bad theres no way I'm safe to drive. So over the side I go extremely motivated to slowly and gently walk around in ever widening circles until I felt them with my foot and hope to perform the ole toe grab. I am 5'11", thankfully no milfoil in the spot but a soft bottom. So there I am 300+ yds from shore with nothing protruding above the water but my lips and nostrils most of the time, SLOWLY tip toeing around in circles for what felt like an hour I happen to hear some considerable commotion coming from the nearest upwind house. A crowd of about 8-10 lake dwelling housewives had gathered on the dock (several with binocs) and I can hear their frantic banter....."Oh my God I think he must be working up the nerve to commit sucide" ..."Should we call 911??" ...."Darlene run get yalls boat and go check on him!!" ETC ETC. Thankfully just as I was about to give up and holler at the ladies I found em...crab toed em...and continued fishing(up a little cove on the other end)
Old 09-17-11, 09:21 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!NOW THAT IS A FANTASTIC STORY KENETH!!!! i can see those ladies man. i am laughing out loud. not AT you now, but WITH you. yes i too wear glasses. and this is why i wear my OLD ones fishing and working. well MOST fo the time. i have several now for years past and switch accordingly.
Old 09-17-11, 09:26 AM   #3
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

damn. i thought u were talking about a new crab toes bait
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:28 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great story man! Glad you found your glasses!

I'm due for a pair of RX sunglasses soon myself... Not looking forward to that bill!

BB
Old 09-18-11, 09:23 AM   #5
keithdog

Thats a great story, hahahaha. I'd love to have heard to whole conversation from those ladies, haha Tell ya what though. Several years ago I lost a pair of glasses overboard. Ever since then, I keep an old pair in the glove box, just in case.
Old 09-19-11, 08:46 AM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am slow to de-boat. I would have fished around for them with a treble hook first. Glad you got your specs back.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 03:33 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I am slow to de-boat. I would have fished around for them with a treble hook first. Glad you got your specs back.
Hey I understand.....if this had been Jan. and water temp of 48 I'd have kissed them gbye. However I have always been quick to "de-boat" ...back before sophisticated electronics my fishin buddies and I would often dive in just to look closer at a piece of deep structure and understand it better.
Old 09-20-11, 04:25 PM   #8
AUFred

I am a lousy swimmer. Since I boat alone often I think getting back into my 12 foot aluminum jon boat might be a bit of a challenge.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 04:44 PM   #9
3dkicker

I had a rod taken out of the back of the boat by a fish while fishing an everstart event. I had put the rod down to net a fish for my partner and left the bait in the water. Thought I was in 4-5' but turns out it was over 8'. My crab toes weren't long enough to find the rod.....
Old 09-20-11, 09:16 PM   #10
Dogmatic

Great story, wish those ladies responded, launched a S&R for your a$$...I too, am quick to de-boat. Was fishing a very clear pond in CO, a few years back and flipped my flip phone into the water, the FF said 6-7 foot, I could see it, I was in my one man pontoon, so there was a guy in a belly boat near by, I asked to mark the spot, rowed back to shore, ditched my clothes swam out, dove down found it, swam back, got dressed loaded the boat on my cart, hiked back to the car, loaded the boat, drove 20 minutes back home, got the hair dryer out and saved that damn phone! I had it until it took yet another deadly fall about two months ago. But, as long as it's not terribly cold, I will dive in, especially if I am on my 'toon, for anything, lure, rod, pliers...I keep a diving mask onboard just in case. But, Good grab, nice save, $300 I would have gone back and got my scuba gear.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.