Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-06, 02:28 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Oiling

I find myself oiling reels with hot sauce about every two weeks...is this normal? I fish a lot!
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 02:48 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well,if you fish that much,than yes. just make sure to clean all the old oil and grease out before so it doesnt build up and make the reel mess up.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 05:44 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It seems excessive, if your actually tearing them down, cleaning and lubing them, but if your just adding oil to the spool bearings, its not.I do not recommend using hot sauce oil.That is most likely why your having to add oil so much.What I have found out about the Quantum hot sauce, is it contains a dye added to the oil.the bearings look like they are properly lubed, but the oil has separated leaving the red dye in the bearings.The dye could be possibly building up in the bearings causing poor performance, especially as much as you are using.To flush the bearings, use Simple green all purpose cleaner diluted with hot tap water and then run under hot tap water to flush the simple green solution out.Then add the fresh oil to the bearings and you should see a great improvement.If you add that much oil to your bearings, I recommend you buy sewing machine oil. Its a light high grade stainless steel bearing oil that won't build up and it will be a whole lot cheaper than buying a brand name reel oil. Maybe your Mother , or wife, or family member already has it on hand if they own a sewing machine. I hope this helps, Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.