Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-09, 05:30 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default So, I’m going to purchase a Pflueger President Spinning combo….

This is going to be my “semi-designated” catfish rig. What type of line and test would you all recommend I spool it up with?

Last edited by fish4942; 04-16-09 at 05:54 PM.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 06:10 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
This is going to be my “semi-designated” catfish rig. What type of line and test would you all recommend I spool it up with?
i usually use 30lb braid, with a 20 lb mono or fluoro leader....that way you only loose the hook if u break it off...u still got ur swivel and weight.
Old 04-17-09, 09:14 AM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What size reel are you getting? I have 3 of them and use 10 lb fluoro on two (tube rods, size 35) and have 20 lb Power Pro & 8 lb fluoro leader on the other (shakey head, size 30).

But for catfish I would get the larget reel (40) and load her up with 15 - 20 lb mono.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:06 PM   #4
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Okay, somebody explain this leader thing to me. I often hear the term used but I’m not quite sure how it works. The explanation from what I hear is that the braid is for the sheer strength and the leader is for the low visibility and stretch for the hook set. Occasionally I hear a leader is used because of possible knot slippage with braid. That one doesn’t make sense since the braid knot has to be tied to something anyway in the rig.

I always thought that the lines were joined together directly with one of those blood knots or something. But generally is a swivel used on a leader line?
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:28 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
Okay, somebody explain this leader thing to me. I often hear the term used but I’m not quite sure how it works. The explanation from what I hear is that the braid is for the sheer strength and the leader is for the low visibility and stretch for the hook set. Occasionally I hear a leader is used because of possible knot slippage with braid. That one doesn’t make sense since the braid knot has to be tied to something anyway in the rig.

I always thought that the lines were joined together directly with one of those blood knots or something. But generally is a swivel used on a leader line?
You're mostly correct. Braid is used to gain the strength, sensitivity, castability, and long life it offers. Braid will last for a couple years before it needs to be changed, usually. Plus, after that time, the "bottom" end (the end tied to the spool) never saw daylight, so it's as good as new. Just respool it on another reel "backwards," and get yourself 2 more years out of it.
The purpose of a leader, either mono or fluoro, is to reduce the visability of the line to avoid spooking fish away from your lure. Fluoro sinks, whereas mono and braid tend to float. Using fluoro may help you with your bottom presentations, such as Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, jigs, etc.
A swivel is typically only used if your presentation has a tendency to twist your line. For the techniques mentioned above, tie the leader directly to your main line. Use either a double surgeon's knot, blood knot, or Albright knot. I prefer the Albright, myself. Others prefer the J-knot, which is a bear to tie, but is very reliable.
Old 05-10-09, 09:38 AM   #6
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default The Pflueger President

Is a pretty good reel. Has the quality of a reel in the 100's, but costs less. I would spool it with either 20 lb. Berkley Big Game, or 20 lb. Spiderwire. I wouldn't go heavier than 40 lb, or lighter than 10 lb. For me, i normally use 15 lb. mono for my carp & catfishing reels.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.