Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-10, 03:22 PM   #1
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Flat Crankbaits

So I was at my local Gander Mountain and they had a clearance bin full of bandit flat max crankbaits. I bought a few thinking I will get good use of them. I have never fished with flat cranks before. Do you just fish them like any other kind of crank? When and where does this type of bait work?
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 04:50 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Flat crankbaits usually don't have rattles; i.e. there isn't enough room inside the narrower body to place a rattle chamber. While you can also get a round crankbait without a rattle, it is something to keep in mind, as cranks with rattles can sometimes spook fish in very clear water. On the other hand, in very muddy or deep water, you may want a rattle to help attract fish.

Flat crankbaits also tend to have a tighter, faster wobble. This is great for getting reaction strikes, but it also helps a little in pulling the crank through heavier cover. So if you're fishing really aggressively in cover such as submerged weed, and are wary of throwing a traditional crank for fear of snags and fouling, you could try a flat crank in some cases.
Old 02-03-10, 01:01 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They also tend to work better in colder water. The tighter wobble looks more natural in colder water.
Old 02-03-10, 09:02 AM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
They also tend to work better in colder water. The tighter wobble looks more natural in colder water.
I agree, I also like to throw them when I want a lot of flash. A chrome color with the flat sides works great.
Old 02-03-10, 09:05 AM   #5
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Usually dont have rattles is correct, now with Rapala, Cableas and Srtike King puttiing rattles in thin crank baits the other lemmings will follow soon!
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 09:51 AM   #6
Psycho_Wolf
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Psycho_Wolf

Flat crankbaits are usually easier to throw into brush and wood cover, The narrow body tends to get hung up less.
Psycho_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 01:01 AM   #7
BeaverIslander

Flat sided, wooden cranks w/ no rattles have their place. They tend to roll though, so I fish them slowly and usually only in cold water.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 12:34 AM   #8
Brauer-stache
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm upset that Rapala discontinued their DT flat crankbait.
Old 03-02-10, 10:22 AM   #9
rodnreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Usually dont have rattles is correct, now with Rapala, Cableas and Srtike King puttiing rattles in thin crank baits the other lemmings will follow soon!

Lucky Craft has Flat Mini and Flat CB models that I'm sure have had rattles in them for quite a few years. The flat minis have done very well for me in both clear and stained water. I bought my first one, a Flat Mini MR in Original Tennessee Shad, about 3 years ago and still have and use it today and it catches fish just as well as it did 3 years ago. The tight water cranks, both silent and rattle, certainly have their place in all cranking applications, not just cold water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.