Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-10, 02:00 AM   #1
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trailer hook or soft plastic trailer?

With spinnerbaits which do you prefer using a trailker hook, soft plastic trailer or both?
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:53 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I almost always use a soft plastic trailer and not a trailer hook. And with the new magic tail skirts from Strike King I don't use either. I know some guys always use a trailer hook, but I never have and I can't remember a single time loosing a fish because of it. I DO remember several snags from trailor hooks though which is why I quit using them.

Last edited by keithdog; 02-24-10 at 07:33 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 08:51 AM   #3
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Keithdog

Since you joined the board, you've added a great deal of informative and factual information. Just wanted to say it's muchly appreciated. Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 09:00 AM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Like keithdog I use the strike king perfect skirt.....but I always use a trailer hook.
It my not really work better but it makes me feel better.
Old 02-24-10, 09:11 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got trailer hooks on almost all my spinnerbaits, yet no trailers on any of them.

Strike Kind Perfect Skirts are nice, and I like their Premier Plus spinnerbaits which come with trailer hooks. I find the trailer hooks are better for hooking the fish when they don't get a good mouthful of spinnerbait than they are for keeping fish on once they've hit. Obviously, those two things go somewhat together though.

I haven't lost a spinnerbait due to a snagged trailer hook (most of them I lose are way to snagged for a trailer hook to make any different, lol).

I've found the only real downside is they do catch a bit more weeds than you would without one.

BB
Old 02-24-10, 09:15 AM   #6
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This has always been one of those 50/50 topics! lol Both are right depending on your opinion. My own personal opinion is that I like 4" Curl tail grubs as a trailer (white 99% of the time), I even use it on the new skirts that Kieth talked about (habits are hard to break!). Most Spinnerbait companies have gone to long shank hooks nowadays, in my mind that sort or nullifies the NEED for a trailer hook. LIke Kieth, I always found the trailer hooks to be more of nuisance than a benefit, unless you were casting to a school of breaking fish. In that situation there are probably better baits to be throwing anyway!
If fish are short striking, I generally slow down or go to a lighter spinnerbait, or maybe speed up the retrieve. The point is to do something different.
Old 02-24-10, 10:39 AM   #7
rodnreel

For me, it depends on where I am fishing it. If there is any type of cover around like brush piles, laydowns, or grass I take the trailer hook off and use a soft plastic trailer. I will usually put on a single or double tail grub and just like Bob, 99% of the time it's white. If I am throwing down a rip rap bank where there is not much cover or burning it just under the surface, I will use a trailer hook. I've never used both at the same time.
Old 02-24-10, 10:43 AM   #8
Jrob78

I use a soft plastic trailer without a trailer hook on my spinnerbaits. I almost bought a pack of trailer hooks recently but decided not to. I normally use the twin tail spinnerbait trailers but I have experimented with other things. Oddly enough I've had good luck using a modified brush hog as a trailer.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:45 AM   #9
screwballl

There is entirely too much vegetation down here everywhere so a weedless lure is the only type that can do decent without bringing back gobs of weeds with it. Spinnerbaits tend to be reserved more for the river or deep open beds around here. When it is used, it can go either way, both produce nicely.

Last edited by screwballl; 02-24-10 at 12:52 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:45 AM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I always use a trailer hook with a 4" swirl tail grub. I've debated on going without it and might give it a shot this year
Old 02-24-10, 11:21 AM   #11
Bassboss

I'm using trailer hooks more so now than I ever have, but I almost always use a tailer. I put the trailer on the main hook, THAN add the trailer hook. make sure the swirl of the grub is facing down, this way it won't effect the tailer hook.
Old 02-24-10, 11:28 AM   #12
BigBassin144

I think I'll give a 4" grub a try this year in one of the muddier lakes I fish, the more vibrations I can make the better. I'd definitely put the grub on the trailer hook though.

BB
Old 02-24-10, 12:18 PM   #13
Garry2rs

I use trailer hooks 90% of the time.
I don't use a grub because I want the fish to hit the skirt...not behind it. Generally, if it's too thick for a trailer hook, it's time to switch to a frog.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 04:22 PM   #14
BeaverIslander

Maybe half of the time I will use a trailer. The drag they sometimes create makes it difficult to get the spinnerbait deep, which is how I usually fish them. On the flip side, if I'm fishing the spinner under the surface like a wake-bait, I want a bulky trailer that creates drag, like a large curlytail grub that helps the bait stay near the surface.

Sometimes I choose to use a trailer to make my lure larger and more active without the bulk and drag. I'll use some finesse worm or a used up Zoom Trick Worm that I had to bite an inch off of. In late Summer/Fall when the fish are active and hungry and I want extra weight and lure speed, I will use half of a 5" or 7" Senko, usually damaged from wacky rigging and about to split in half anyways.

Slow rolling a 1 oz spinnerbait with a half Senko on the back is a very effective presentation in when the water starts cooling in Fall. Senkos used as trailers add some serious weight to a spinnerbait. The weight allows you to cover lots of water while working it fast, erratic, and deep.

Spinnerbait trailers can be a good way to recycle used plastics, like shake worms and Senkos. Bargain bins have some good stuff, since I don't really think exact trailer colors make much of a difference. Contrasting colors is the way to go, IMO. Commonly I use green pumpkin or watermelon finesse worms on a black or shad colored spinnerbait, or an orange trailer on a gold shiner spinnerbait, which is a decent bluegill imitation. A smoke colored plastic on a white spinner is a good combo, too.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 04:31 PM   #15
BeaverIslander

I only use trailer hooks when the water is very cold and the fish are short striking. They make the lure less weedless, and too often they end up in the gills of the bass. This is why I try not to use them if possible. Instead I use a line with plenty of stretch, Suffix Elite, and a rod thats not too stiff in the mid-section so the bass can inhale the bait, a St. Croix Avid 7'0" MHF.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:48 PM   #16
keithdog

Here is something for y'all to try. It's worked VERY well for me. I fish white skirted spinnerbaits and bluegill colored skirts almost exclusively. Next time you are fishing with a white skirted spinnerbait, try a bright yellow 4 inch twister grub instead of the white grub. I can't tell you how many times I've taken the white grub off and put on the yellow grub and it made a 100% turn around in strikes. I think bass sometimes really tee off on the contrast of color between a white skirt and yellow grub.
Old 02-24-10, 07:50 PM   #17
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Keithdog

Since you joined the board, you've added a great deal of informative and factual information. Just wanted to say it's muchly appreciated. Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac

My pleasure Mac. Helping out when I can is half the fun. The other half is looking at JB's photoshop works!
Old 02-24-10, 07:51 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Here is something for y'all to try. It's worked VERY well for me. I fish white skirted spinnerbaits and bluegill colored skirts almost exclusively. Next time you are fishing with a white skirted spinnerbait, try a bright yellow 4 inch twister grub instead of the white grub. I can't tell you how many times I've taken the white grub off and put on the yellow grub and it made a 100% turn around in strikes. I think bass sometimes really tee off on the contrast of color between a white skirt and yellow grub.
Sounds good, but where do you get those yellow twist tail grubs?
Old 02-24-10, 08:24 PM   #19
Rebbasser

I rarely use a trailer of any kind on a spinnerbait. I used to, just got away from using them. But I never throw a buzzbait without a trailer hook. Go figure.
Old 02-24-10, 09:33 PM   #20
BigBassin144

I'll have to pick up a few packs of grubs. Luckily for me, the local BPS has TONS of them in tons of colors and sizes. They're really popular up here for walleye.

BB
Old 02-24-10, 10:47 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Sounds good, but where do you get those yellow twist tail grubs?
They are not easy to find. You can still get them from Mr. Twister if you can find a source that sells them. When I do I buy several packs. But havn't seen them around for a while now. Last package I bought was chartruese because I couldnt find yellow. Worked, but I thought yellow worked better.
Old 02-24-10, 11:18 PM   #22
CamG

Fun fishing - very rarely will I use a trailer hook.

Tournament setting - always.

I've used plastic trailers in the past but don't think they make much difference unless I'm trying to stay super high in the water column.

Buzzbaits - never use a trailer hook. If they are short striking a buzzbait, it's time to switch gears and throw a spinnerbait just under the surface. I read an article many years ago by Rick Clunn explaining this same thing, and I have found it to be true.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:31 PM   #23
nova385

I notice that with a soft plastic on, I will have more Pike hits.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:59 PM   #24
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been using zoom swimming chunks with good success. I never throw a trailer hook.
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 03:31 AM   #25
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I tend to stay away from trailer hooks on my spinnerbaits. And I seldom use any kind of a plastic trailer. If I am getting short strikes I will add one though. But a lot of times, that can be fixed by changing to a different color or retrieve . They might want what you are throwing, but they might not be keying in on the color, and just swiping at it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.