Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-10, 12:44 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Cold muddy water, pork or plastic trailers

Title says it all, if your fishing cold muddy water do you use pork or plastic as a jig trailer, and why?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:52 PM   #2
Bob Smith

Doc, many years ago that used to be a no brainer. The plastic was such that it got hard in the cold water and didn't move much, and they didn't have many craws, creature baits to choose from. The obvious solution was the pork frogs, pork eels, pork strips that maintained thier supple characteristics. The plastics of today have eliminated that issue and provide a great range of sizes shapes, colors, flavors, and whatever else you can think of! There are a few of us, however, that still keep a few jars of pork handy!
Old 02-24-10, 01:02 PM   #3
doc

I allways have a few jars of "uncle Josh" in my box. I still use pork in colder water, it's messier thats for sure but I think it's more natural, and the bass will hold on to pork for a bit longer, giving me time to detect that subtle bite.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:04 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I used Pork almost exclusively before most of the plastic trailers were out. I really had a lot of confidence in them, and still do I suppose. But, with new plastics such as Berkley, I don't think pork is necessary. Anyone who has let a piece of pork dry on a jig will tell you what a pain it is to remove. Not to mention it takes up more room and can potentially be a mess.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:23 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My rule of thumb: Pork for water temps below 50 degrees, plastic for water above 50 degrees.
Old 02-24-10, 04:38 PM   #6
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I never use pork anymore, not even in cold water. I gave mine away in fact. I don't like the hassle, the mess, or the salty spills. In my experience, I don't think the fish prefer pork over a scented jig with scented plastics.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:08 PM   #7
Justin2729

Pork has slower, more lethargic action witch suits the colder water but i don't use em much cause the hassle.stickily on the action in cold water pork's supposed to be better.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 08:19 PM   #8
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

Pork having better action in cold water is a myth that just keeps getting repeated without ever being challenged. A dozen years ago, I was involved in a series of underwater tapings of lure action, and we compared pork to plastic jig trailers side by side, in 45 degree water, and then again in 65 degree water, a couple months later. The plastic ALWAYS had better action than the pork. Until that job, I was a die hard pork frog fan, and wouldn't even consider using a plastic chunk. Ended up giving away probably 40 jars of Josh and all my 'Super Pork" and "Hair Rind", too, after doing that footage.

Last edited by RichZ; 02-27-10 at 01:15 AM.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 08:55 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

good to know, Rich. Guess I bought into the myth.
Old 02-27-10, 07:29 PM   #10
Backwater Charlie

I've never used a pork trailer in my life, always plastic.

In those circumstances, I'd go with a 4" dark Berkley Chigger Craw.
Old 03-01-10, 10:03 PM   #11
Justin2729

The argument isn't witch has better action, pork moves slower so its better in cold water everything is moving slower. You don't want a lot of action in 30-40 degree water. More action isn't always better.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:25 PM   #12
basstech

You made some good points justin. It being muddy I would go with a black #10 big daddy just for the bigger profile and slower fall rate of the jig it's going on. Cold muddy water I would have less consideration of the action than I would profile and fall rate of the jig.
Old 03-24-10, 09:32 PM   #13
henslayer49
BassFishin.Com Member

Black & Blue Jig, you pic the brand, make sure it has ONLY ONE rattle on it and stick a Black #10 Big Daddy Pork Frog on it, soak it in the THICKEST BUSH or TREES you can find while firmily attached to your reel with 65 to 80lb Braid. Watch your line close as in Cold Water Big Jig Fish don't always let you know their there until they've spit it back out. If you see your line tic, move or feel a heavy jig, SET THE HOOK and HOLD ON!
I've done well in early spring while fishing a privately owned 500 acre lake in central Missouri with Jigs fished in this manner and have hauled 8lbers back to the boat in short order.
henslayer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 10:35 PM   #14
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used mostly plastic trailers and have caught bass in water at temperatures lower than 40 degrees. Alot of people talk about the advantage of pork in cold water, but I've been successful with plastc trailers as well. My jig of choice isthe booyah alton jones A-jig for flippin and pitchin. That's just what's worked for me.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 11:09 PM   #15
Tavery5

With all the advances in plastic baits, every color in the rainbow, almost limitless life, its kinda hard to choose pork these days.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 11:14 PM   #16
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea that's a good point tavery, I haven't used pork a whole lot so I'm definitely not an expert, but overall, I would most the time prefer plastic over pork. It just depends on the situation though.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 03:34 AM   #17
Strike_King 609

When the fish wont bite i throw on a 7inch yum dinger with Yum crawfish scent. It never fails me when times get tough. I never really used scents. But I am a believer and will not fish without them now. Anything to give you the edge. Sometimes you have to think outside the box
Strike_King 609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.