Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-07, 11:59 PM   #1
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help VIP with 150 Force

Traded for this bass boat this summer. Engine runs strong and fast. Trim is toast. Acts like I'm draggin a log behind me tho. Guy told me I need a 20" shaft (he measured) and the Force is a 25". Think this could be causin the drag? Somebody mounted a jack plate on her and it lifted it bout 6" but motor still hits ground. Suggestions?
hillbilly4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 01:33 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to the forum! i'm sure 1fastlaser will be able to answer your question.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 06:47 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

what boat is this on?? they make a 9" jack plate.. mine also hits the ground on the trailer -it's low slung-fix the trim first then look for a bigger jack plate..

zooker
Old 01-22-07, 07:37 PM   #4
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

86 VIP Bass Boat. Fixed trim twice. Goes back out. Force for ya. Found a jack plate with trim but after mounting it dropped the cavitation plate below the boat. Looks like I'll either have to fix trim somehow or go with a better engine.
Old 01-23-07, 03:31 PM   #5
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

You need the cavatation plate above the pad of the hull. If its not above it then your too low. I have gone through the same thing and you will need to raise it probably about 7" from the original holes to get max speed and stability. Doing this you had better make sure the transom is in good shape because it changes the leverage on it. Pay attention to the vertical lift on a jackplate too.....don't just buy a 10" jackplate because when its listed like this....it means 10" of setback and not lift. Typically jackplates are 4-5" of lift only. I had to build one to get 7" of vertical lift. Hope this helps and if you have questions let me know.....I actually know quite a bit about setups.
Old 01-23-07, 04:30 PM   #6
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks spego. Been told different opinions but most were close to yours. Current setup has the cavitation plate about 1/2" below back of boat and the jack plate is maxed out at 5" lift. So if I get you right I'm gonna need at least another inch of lift to use the motor. Besides that its just to much hassle to launch the boat without tilt.
Old 01-23-07, 04:44 PM   #7
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

I mean you can use it....its not going to hurt anything by using it....but you will get so much more out of it if the motor is set at the correct height. You will get more speed and it will handle much better. If you are looking for max performance out of it then you will need to get that motor up more. I would say at LEAST another inch. If youa re going to hang onto it then get that trim fixed and go from there.....if you have thoughts of getting something else then ditch it and get a 20"
Old 01-23-07, 05:07 PM   #8
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah no whatcha mean. Used it last summer. Just not satisfied with performance. Its has a slight pull to the right and as I said earlier motor acts like its workin it self to hard which means overheating and thats not good for a Force. Gonna go look at a 115 Merc tonight and see if I can handle the price. If not I'll try to find someone better at fixin Force tilt and trim.
Old 01-23-07, 05:23 PM   #9
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

The pull can be fixed....it actually will probably get better as the motor comes up (to a point). there are other ways to get rid of that. See what you come up with though. The 115 Merc will run about as good as a 150 force will anyway....the force motors as not known for their power.
Old 01-24-07, 07:39 PM   #10
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Anyone know how to find out the rated horsepower? 86 VIP Bass boat. Cant find the plate. Someone musta removed it. Looking for a motor just wanna make sure I dont end up too small HP.
Old 01-24-07, 08:10 PM   #11
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

I am not sure where else you can get the info except through the state or the manufacturer. Mine has a PA Fish Commission plate on it because I guess the original was taken off. Mine is also on the registration in my wallet. I dont know if mine is right its only 17' long and 80 some inches across and has a plate of 190hp on it.....i have a 175 on it now and it seems like too much by the way it sits in the water.

Contact your commission and see if they can help.
Old 01-24-07, 08:58 PM   #12
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Ky doesnt license thru the Dept of fisheries. Boats are registered like vehicles thru the state. Thought maybe there might be some way to run the HIN and get some info.
Old 01-24-07, 10:24 PM   #13
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmm never heard of a system like that but if you find something let me know....it would be cool info.
Old 01-26-07, 01:31 AM   #14
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Found a motor. 86 Mercury 115. Fella upgraded to a 150. Came off a Ranger. Anyone know of any problems with these motors? Think it will do a better job than the Force 150? Guy says it ran perfect just wanted more speed. $1800.00.
Old 01-26-07, 08:12 AM   #15
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

i think you will be better off. if you get the chance do a compression test on it to make sure all the cylinders are pretty even (within 10%) and other than that there is not much to it. If it runs rough its probably the carbs which isnt a big deal to rebuild. Older motors are pretty easy to figure out.
Old 01-26-07, 06:04 PM   #16
1FASTLASER

Spego has ya going in the right direction. The 115 you are asking about is a awsome motor. I own one and have been a merc man for over 30years. It is not the fastest on the water but with some maintenance is a great motor. Ifn ya get it you will prolly see some improvement in performance as the inlines can push heavy boats. As far as mouning the merc the starting point I use on ALL boats is with the center of the propshaft 2" below center of pad if it is possible and I work from there. I been setting rigs for folks for awhile and enjoy helping them out. On that particular hull I would suggest a wheel with big ears as you are pushing a heavy boat. I dont think a Laser wheel will do at all. Stay away from the choppers and the cleavers. Any more help or questions just holler.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 01-26-07 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 01:46 AM   #17
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Thanks. Saw the motor today and it looks good. Stainless prop. Going back for compression test and startup. He has no controls. I have US Marine on mine. Think they will work with the Merc? Have had mostly Mercs myself. Just got a good deal on this VIP. My Skeeter got busted up when Steering link broke and bout sent me into the trees.
Old 01-27-07, 09:03 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Even though at one time Force was built by or for Merc the controls wont work bud. Ifn ya buy the Merc Ebay would be a good place or FastBass or even BBC. All three are top notch places. Even better if you are serious bought the Merc I can hook you up with a set from a buddy of mine. I would have to get ahold of him and find out the $. After the compression is run let us know. Make sure you run the compressioon correctly. All plugs removed.
Old 01-27-07, 10:50 AM   #19
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Gonna send local mechanic. Its his friend. So I'm gonna let him buy and guarantee the motor. Thanks letin me know bout the controls. I'll see if I can come up with a set if not I'll be in the market for some if the motor checks out. Found another Yamaha 150 but would rather have the Merc.
Old 01-27-07, 03:24 PM   #20
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Guys. Merc was toast. Bad compression + no fire. Mechanic found a 115 Mariner for same price that checks out all the way. They as good as a Merc or a cheaper motor? Its an 86 with tilt and trim 20" shaft SS prop. Mounted and contols + guarantee for 1950.00 Let me know what u think.

Last edited by hillbilly4u; 01-27-07 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-07, 08:32 PM   #21
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mariners are the same as a merc just differant colored..

zooker
Old 01-28-07, 12:11 AM   #22
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info. Bought the Mariner tonight. Looked good outside and under cover. Turbo SS prop. Cylinders read 110, 110, 108, 109,110,108. Just what the mechanic said different colors. Been outa water bout 6 mths. Came off another Ranger. Think I got the Force sold too so I might just break even on the deal and get the right setup.
Old 01-28-07, 12:16 AM   #23
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

good deal....keep us informed on the setup with the new motor....like to see how she goes.
Old 01-28-07, 08:30 AM   #24
1FASTLASER

Compression numbers are right where they are supposed to be THATS GREAT. The mainer is just like ole zooker stated A merc in different clothes no difference under them. The Turbo should do a decent job for ya if its in the right pitch, which you wont know till you run it. Keep us informed.

By the way dont ever underestimate the yammers. They are great engines with very very little problems if any at all.
Old 01-28-07, 11:58 AM   #25
hillbilly4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks to all that have helped. Dont know when I'll get to switch motors out. Waiting for a decent temp. 2" snow coming today with highs in the teens. Brrrrrr.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.