Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-08, 05:44 PM   #1
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Buying a used boat

Im looking to purchase a used bassboat, something small that will fit in my garage so I dont have to store it and something in the 2-3k range. I found a 1986 16' glasstream with a 115 mercury on it. The guy said he completely redone the entire boat and motor last year and that the boat ran great. Replaced carpet, seats, put new tilt/trim pump on, rebuilt and cleaned all carbs, 2 livewells, duel console, redone clear coat, 40lb trolling motor, changed lower unit oil (says no water at all was in it) 240 garmin fish finder on dash. He said he had the boat set up to tournament fish so its got the large platform, no leaks. The gauges dont work because he swapped the motor out for this 115. Im planning on looking at it tomorrow, he's asking $2000.00 for it. What do you guys think about this deal? I Dont know much about glasstream, Ive owned a procraft and was pleased with it. Any ideal what the compession should be for this engine? He said he had it tested and I think he said 120 on all cyl. You guys steered me right on my first boat so any help is appreciated.
atlfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 06:14 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

get the gauges to work and it would be a good deal.. streams are fast lil hulls. one thing i have leant the hard way DON NOT use a front casting seat and leave it in the front deck. streams tend to spin the pole loose and send it back at you..been there got the bruises to prove it.. get lil boat it'll haul the mail and it is a good fishing platform -although if you pitch you'll have to learn to pitch over the lip..

zooker
Old 02-27-08, 06:44 PM   #3
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would ask him if you could have the engine checked good Cause the inline 6's had a tendancy to lean out # 1
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 06:55 PM   #4
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Heres some pics of it
Attached Images

Old 02-27-08, 10:18 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

love the color, hahaha. alabama red. great looking boat for real. looks clean. good carpet and all. don't look 20 yrs old. you got a good deal. at least i think so.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 11:17 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Looks very similar to my old stream. Anyways boater was correct you need to get a comp check done for yourself. Dont rely on word of mouth. The inlines are great motors if taken care of. They have some quirks about them but nothing major that you cant handle. They are torque motors. Not the fgastest but they will push a load very well. Get those numbers and holler back. There is no set numbers for motors. Stock motors usually have a comp of 115-120. Hot motors have alot more. My V6 has a comp of 145psi and I know of SEVERAl racing wengines that have over 165. So you see the numbers vary. What you want to see is a reading of around 110 per cylinder and no more than 10% variance between cylinders. Thiose numbers mean that the motor has life left in her and pretty well been taken care of.
Old 03-02-08, 12:30 PM   #7
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Well went out and looked at this boat and really didnt have a good feeling about it. I think the guys who owned it were pretty honest about the boat, I just dont think a 16 footer is gonna do it for me after looking at it esp with a 3 yr old running around.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.