Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-08, 12:04 PM   #1
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default looking to replace my trolling motor

I am looking to put a new 80 plus lb. thrust trolling motor on the Allison.I am looking for opinions on which one to buy. MotorGuide MinnKota or?
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 06:54 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

one of my buddies has a motorguide digital and it is sweet! i have a minnkota maxxum on my ranger and i love it though.
Old 02-18-08, 08:42 PM   #3
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Motorguide all the way! We have a wireless and it looks sweet. Yet to use it though....

-Lunk-
Old 02-18-08, 09:44 PM   #4
WTL

I'm not sure if OMC made TMs with that much power, but for years I had a motorguide and cursed it more than anything else. Then I replaced it with a Minn Kota, and I cursed that more than the motorguide. Then I got an OMC, and practically forgot how a trolling motor could ever pose a pain in the ***. The fishability of the OMCs was just far superior.
Old 02-18-08, 10:27 PM   #5
bamabassman

i want a new trolling motor too. let me know how it works out for you. mine is the original that came with the boat. i think it is an evinrude. already had to replace the pedal( cause i got mad and accidently stomped it, lol) ,and the cable. it is an oldie but a goodie. i have seen the remotes and love the idea of no cables. let me know what you get.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:32 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Damn boater LMAO nuttin like openong a can of worms. LOL Anyways my opinion of trollers now adays with the OMC being the exception like WTL stated is a typical ford chevy debate. I personally stick with motorguide simply because they where one of the first for everything including building these things. In my eyes the Minnkotas they have to much plastic.......It works but I still think to much plastic. The only thing that lets me down on the motorguides is the little 12 dollar switch that I always carry a spare of.....other than that never have broke a shaft or cable and I fish rough. LOL Toar the damn mount of the boat but never broke a shaft.
Old 02-19-08, 10:44 AM   #7
barkelypup

I am partial to Minn's. Had both and never had any problem out of either. And as far as the Ford Chevy debate goes Laser, People who say they would rather push a ford as drive a chevy or vice versa are stupid. I would much rather ride, but thats just me. Same goes with Trolling motors, out boards what ever. As long as it gets me to the fish, I don't care.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 05:09 PM   #8
boater

I have been told a minn Kota in quieter but 6 lbs heavier this I am torn on the motor guide I now have is loud I also have been told omc is what allisons come wit because they are light guess I might look into them and by the way lazer you can not fish without opening the can of worms LOL
Old 02-19-08, 07:25 PM   #9
zooker

yeah try FINDING an omc troller.. i have one a 12 volter and wont sell it

i am partical to moter guide my self..

zooker
Old 02-20-08, 06:47 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

LMAO!! @ boater.
Old 02-20-08, 03:04 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Mine is a MG 24V 71-lb. Had a few problems like the switch Laser referrs to-I also keep a spare in the boat. It really is a Ford/Chevy question.
Old 02-20-08, 06:27 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Mine is a MG 24V 71-lb. Had a few problems like the switch Laser referrs to-I also keep a spare in the boat. It really is a Ford/Chevy question.
the switch cost $13.00 they only make 1 type. with a bad switch your day is done.. takes 5 mintues to change..

zooker
Old 02-21-08, 07:09 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Boater,
FYI If your interested I have a MG BEast that is just sitting in the garage. Now its a HAND CONTROL. I have everything for this motor,mount prop,Big Foot Control extension everything. It is a 24/36volt. The dern thing I just couldnt get used to. Even though its only 67 lb thrust that dern thing pulled my 18ft Procraft around like I had the merc fired up. I never once wish I had a bigger motor. If your interested lemme know cause it will go CHEAP. I gurantee you you cant find a cheaper motor than this one unless someone flat out gives ya one.
Old 02-21-08, 09:50 AM   #14
boater

I have a tour edition 81 lb now it works but as I stated is loud just want to spend money I guess it is about 7 years old and would like to buy a NEW one rather than be in a tourney and have it go out on me. think I'll get another tour edition and keep this one for a backup.
Old 02-24-08, 07:55 PM   #15
DWH
BassFishin.Com Member

im looking to replace mine too. i have a motorguide now and like it, so i was going to stay with them but the new ones with the gator flex mount got terrible reveiws on basspro.com. most problems were with the mount itself.
DWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 08:17 PM   #16
boater

Well I had a deal worked on a 80 lb minnKota maxxum pro us2 1100.00 motor for 750 but backed out if anyone is interested it is a great deal from a reputable guy in Ca.if anyone is interested I can hook you guys up the motor has never been in the water.
I went to Gateway outfitters and bought a motor guide tour edition 2 lb for 879.00 and 7 percent off that for filling out a prefered customer card, made it 817.00 so I could have it on this weekend. But the other is a great deal if anyone needs it

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.