Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-08, 10:42 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default i have a question about jack plates

as some of you know i have a 20' stratos, with a 200 evinrude. it has power trim. my question is would a jack plate be benificial for me? i hate it when the boat raises up at start up. and it takes so long to plane out. for me anyways. and how hard is it to install? i have all the tools to do. i have a motor crane and all the hand tools. but have never attempted to do such a thing. will it help me to plane quicker?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:21 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well bama let me say tis before we sartart talking jack plates. The exact condition that you have just described is a VERY strong indicator that you have the wrong prop on your rig. I would be willing to bet that either your prop is to big in pitch or your motor is way to deep on the transom. First lemme ask you this what are your WOT rpms when you get her ontop and running full out. This will be a starting place for me.
Old 02-19-08, 11:03 AM   #3
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One thing that I might suggest would be one of the hydro fins that bolt to the cavitation plate of the motor. I had a pro craft with a 150 on it and it had the same problem. Especially if someone wanted to ski behind it or I had 3 people in the boat. It seemed like for ever before that thing would pop up on plane and once I put that whale tale on it boom it would pop right up. That would be cheaper IMO than a new prop or a jack plate.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 07:20 PM   #4
zooker

i think he has the same problem all 3.0L omc moters have, hole shot problems.
my friend has a 20 foot sprint -same hull weight- with a 200 omc. with full live wells and two guys he was having problems getting on plane.. he had a 4 blade 25p renegade. i found a 23p 4 blade renegade for him to try. he said it sling shot him out of the hole and he only lost 1 mph gps off his top end.. try differant props first.. then hydro foils if the props fail to right the problem..

jack plates rarely if ever FIX your hole shot..they make the boat go faster at wot not come ot of the hole faster..

zooker
Old 02-19-08, 10:08 PM   #5
bamabassman

thanks guys. i don't know what the pich is on the prop. i will ask the man i bought it from. and i can't tell you what the wot is as i haven't really paid ation to it. i will have to get back on that one. i do think tha it may be the prop. and though about the hydro foil too. when i get it out on the water i'll let you know. and i will measure the depth of the transom too. as for the rpms, i don't know if it is accurate or not. the mph doesn't work right i know. cause it is supposed to go up to 70 mph and at op speed it shows about 40, lol. i blew out the line and all. but i think it is age on the gauge. maybe the same on the rpm gauge. i'll for sure check it out. thanks again.
Old 02-19-08, 10:09 PM   #6
bamabassman

sorry, tired tonight. can't seem to type worth a crap.
Old 02-20-08, 06:33 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Barkley and Bamma,
Not disputing that the whale tails will work They do. But please listen to what I have to say. They are actually a bandaid for a problem. If a boat is not so underpowerd that it actually needs a push to get her on plane a whale tail will actually yes get you onplane faster but when up and running will scrub off a few mph. I have done way to much testing with these and it all comes back to the same problem. Set up issues or under powered. If the boat is in fact underpowered then a whale tail will do the job. If the boat has sufficent power I can just about gurantte you that with some careful wrench turning I can remedy the situation and get better performance.
To really diagnose properly need to know what year motor first, then propshaft distance from bottom of pad,pitch on prop and what prop are you running and WOT rpms. With those numbers I can head you in the right direction to get you on plane faster and get you some more on top. I have cleaned up these problems before with a simple raising of the motor on the transom. Bama look at where the motor is bolted to the transom. That motor should be at least in the second hole from the bottom. If its not your to deep on the transom and she will waller around like a hog trying to get and and drag you donwn some on the top when running.
Old 02-20-08, 09:36 PM   #8
bamabassman

ok laser. i will check and let you know. it will be a few days though. i am kinda busy with the honey-dos. but give me a few days and i will measure.
Old 02-21-08, 10:03 AM   #9
boater

Laser why will a hydrofoil scrub speed ? It is not in the water at high speeds.he might check his engine height,it might be to low in the water.If this is the case a Jack plate is needed.Also I agree he needs to check out how the engine is running if he is not running on all 6 he would play heck getting on plane..
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 06:30 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Shoulda got back to this one before. LOL sorry sometimers kicking in. I actually have seen for myself some of the tails slow down boats before. I cant explain I do have my own therory and what I beleive is that it has to do with hydrodynamics. The force of the water exciting the rear of the boat actually rises up as you know. With a tail on it look at what its hitting. Same principle as before they made the skid plates for the jack plates. Remeber when they put basketballs in the holes and filled them with air. Same priniciplal. Of course on some boats its more evident than others. And at the same time I wanna add that there are plates out there that do NOT scub off speed such as a allyfoil or a b mans foil. But you pay for what you get right. The plastic ones are for underpowered improprly setup boats while the ally and the bman's foil are for actually boats that are somewhat overpowered and can actually use a little down force.
Old 03-03-08, 09:00 PM   #11
boater

Oh ok I have a ali foil and my holeshot ROCKS and top end has not been found yet but 85 has been found on the way looking for it LOL
Old 03-05-08, 06:44 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Boater dont remember what motor you running???????
Old 03-05-08, 09:07 PM   #13
boater

225 pro max
Old 03-05-08, 10:43 PM   #14
bamabassman

well gang i traded the stratos and got a cajun. zooker don't get mad man. it is a 97 and looks like new. no rips in the seats and it has a johnson 200 venom. motorguide trolling motor. one new fish finder (forgot the name), and it is in color! took it out last weekend and it ran like a mad dog!! hole shot is AWESUM!!! but as i told one member it leans to the left at planed out. gonna take it out alone and see if i have it unbalanced by my gear. other than a couple of minor electrical problems it is just great. wider and great on the water. will let ya'll know what i find out about the left leaning thing. thanks gang. oh and i will get a fin on the motor...not that it needs it. lol one day . the wife says i have to cool it for a month hahaha. got to get the baitmonkey off my back for a while. hahaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.