Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-08, 04:24 PM   #1
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Stupid newbie question - livewells

Now that I've finished refurbing my boat, I'd like some explanation on how livewells are supposed to work. My configuration consists of two livewells (one front and one back). Each live well has a small drain hole in the bottom, a larger hole in the top and next to that a green nozzle with a shutoff valve on it. There is only one aeration pump which I believe has a tee in the hose to both tanks.

If I assume correctly, the bottom hole is the drain and the top hole is the overflow drain. The nozzle is the fill.

So, under what conditions do you:

1) put the drain plug in/out?

2) use the shutoff valves on the nozzles (maybe to select which tank?)

3) run the pump?

4) differences in the boat being stationary and underway

Thanks!!
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 04:50 PM   #2
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
Now that I've finished refurbing my boat, I'd like some explanation on how livewells are supposed to work. My configuration consists of two livewells (one front and one back). Each live well has a small drain hole in the bottom, a larger hole in the top and next to that a green nozzle with a shutoff valve on it. There is only one aeration pump which I believe has a tee in the hose to both tanks.

If I assume correctly, the bottom hole is the drain and the top hole is the overflow drain. The nozzle is the fill.

So, under what conditions do you:

1) put the drain plug in/out?
Never put the plug in until ure catchin fish, but you are correct it goes in the bottom hole

2) use the shutoff valves on the nozzles (maybe to select which tank?)
Correct

3) run the pump?
it should run off a switch on the console

4) differences in the boat being stationary and underway
plug in when fish are in the live well no matter if you are moving or sitting still. Ice blocks will help keep them alive on hot days
Thanks!!

gkjhfgkjhafkgjhsdkfjhg just so it will post
Old 09-18-08, 05:35 PM   #3
robertmee

For the pump question, yeah I knew I had a switch What I was asking, is WHEN do you run the pump? To fill obviously, but also the whole time you have fish/bait? Seems a pretty good drain on the battery....

And for the drain, plug it to fill, and unplug only when draining empty? Do you always cycle the water through the overflow or is there ever a time you run it through the drain? And do you plug it when done draining? I read somewhere that it can actually backfill through the drain depending on the water level.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 06:01 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a timer on mine. but yeah the hole in the bottom is the drain- buy a plug-the nozzle is the jet.. ok now the over flow can have a hose/pipe running from it. if this pipe/hose goes to a pump it is the recuirtulater set up..if it dead ends in you bilge it is an over flow -make sure the bilge is an auto..

zooker
Old 09-18-08, 07:20 PM   #5
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
For the pump question, yeah I knew I had a switch What I was asking, is WHEN do you run the pump? To fill obviously, but also the whole time you have fish/bait? Seems a pretty good drain on the battery....

And for the drain, plug it to fill, and unplug only when draining empty? Do you always cycle the water through the overflow or is there ever a time you run it through the drain? And do you plug it when done draining? I read somewhere that it can actually backfill through the drain depending on the water level.

On hot days i run the pump alot, on colder days not so much the main thing is to keep cooler water circulating on the fish new cooler water brings with it O2 you will get the hang of it. i had to just keep checkin on the fish til i got used to it, now i just reach over and flip the switch w/o knowin im doin it
Old 09-18-08, 10:45 PM   #6
rangerryan

the live wells in my boat do not have a drain plug. there is a switch by the driver that can be turned to empty or fill. and each live well is on a seperate pump and a seperate switch. and the pumps have two way valves built in that act as a check valve that will let water in and not out or out and not in depending on the position of the switch. just thought this might help a bit.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.