Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-09, 10:55 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default well,wish me luck boys

after 5 years of working a dead-end,no advancement job....i decided to go into plumbing ....got certified for an apprenticeship,and after alot of phone calls and research,finally got a interview at a good plumbing company in my city,for today after work...
its a little less pay starting off,but thats to be expected....but since i wont be driving an hour to work,it should even out with the gas......but most importantly,work out to a well paying career..
Old 08-31-09, 11:07 AM   #2
bcklash

Good luck WJ. we're pulling for ya.
Old 08-31-09, 11:23 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good luck, man! I always wonder how a guy gets a job as a plumber. Do you put a picture of your pants hanging half down your behind in your resume?
Old 08-31-09, 11:31 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

no,no,no.....im going to attach that picture to my email when i put in my two weeks here
Old 08-31-09, 02:35 PM   #5
brushhog

Best of luck, there is alway a need for any kind of skilled tradesman!
Old 08-31-09, 02:41 PM   #6
flbassman

Glad to hear it man! Two rules: It runs downhill, and don't bite your fingernails
Old 08-31-09, 02:45 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

thanks guys....I aint gonna lie...Im kinda nervous,been awhile since I had to do a job interview.....plus the interview is short notice.so i told the owner im not quite appropriately dressed (camo shorts,teeshirt,).....i got my hat in the car to cover up the ''mo-hawk inspired'' haircut.....
plus the guy made it clear about visible tattoos not being ok.....we talked,and I explained how i could cover them without resulting to a long sleeve (no way in TX heat)...he was ok with it......now the stretched ears...i dont know?
ill have to take em out.....but theylook worse that way IMO.

all in all,i felt really confident in my phone conversation with the guy.....ill let you know how it goes tomorrow
Old 08-31-09, 02:56 PM   #8
1/4 stick

Good luck man. Best advice I can give is always pay attention where you set a lit torch and always look before you pick it up again or pain is sure to follow.
Old 08-31-09, 04:35 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Stretched ears? Holy God, man...

Two things:

1. I really don't know what that means...but it can't be good.

2. Why in the name of all that is good would you do that to yourself?

I hope you get the job man, but you'd probably save time and money on the tattoos and piercings if you just got a big tattoo on your forehead that says "Don't Hire Me". haha
Old 08-31-09, 04:46 PM   #10
1/4 stick

What I assume he means by stretched ears. I got mine another way that is not a topic for this board.

Old 08-31-09, 04:54 PM   #11
Jim80

Man I hear ya about the stretched ears when I was younger I popped mine open to 5/8 inch holes and 10 years later am wondering why I did it . But at least around here It has not hurt my employment options as I was in sales and retail and no one seemed to mind it .

Jim
Old 08-31-09, 05:14 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Good luck on the new gig, Waffle. It takes a lot of courage to jump off into the deep end and try to swim.
One piece of advice...when you're sweating on two bathroom faucet fittings, remember that the one you just finished is STILL HOT, so don't reach around it to get to the other one...I burned the threads onto the inside of my upper arm back years ago doing this...not fun at all......
Old 09-01-09, 11:04 AM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Man I hear ya about the stretched ears when I was younger I popped mine open to 5/8 inch holes and 10 years later am wondering why I did it . But at least around here It has not hurt my employment options as I was in sales and retail and no one seemed to mind it .

Jim

(sigh) ....it was seriously one the fun'est,best interviews ive ever had....i walked into the guys house....and there was an entire band set up in the living room....p/a , huge mixing board ,instruments etc,etc......apparently not only does the guy own the plumbing company...he also manages and promotes his 13 yr old daughters band....so right off the bat,were getting along great talking about music ,gigging,and grinding it out.....and his daughters band is actually incredibly talented...very ''paramore'' sounding...i was blown away by the demo...

so it was the stretched ears that made the guy double think me....and the beard......the tattoos can be covered,but i cant hide the ears....and he ask me about shaving the beard...i said ''ive never shaven it before because it covers my acne scars..i dont mind shaving it,but it would just be extremely uncomfortable for me...which is the honest truth!

the guy said he absolutely loved me....but being strictly residental,he's had this 'appearance' policy for 24 yrs ...to which i understand......but he told me he might have to reconsider it for me...lol...so he's gonna sleep on it and call me today...he gave me the paper work for the drug testing just in-case.......i dont think he'll bend his rules for me..he did give me some companies to check out that were more commerical,and wont care about the tats,ears,and beards.........but either way it goes, the guy was really nice .....i stayed over there an extra hour talking music afterwards and swapping songs with em..

hopefully it works out....ill post more after he calls.
Old 09-01-09, 05:38 PM   #14
Jim80

Good luck man , I think you might have solid shot at it , normally guys like that won't lead ya on to hoping if they are not seriously considering it .

jim
Old 09-01-09, 05:49 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Good luck man , I think you might have solid shot at it , normally guys like that won't lead ya on to hoping if they are not seriously considering it .

jim
thanks jim,......i was hoping for a phone call by now.......i hating waiting for life changing news......its maddening .

so to ease my mind i called in to practice tonight.....the wife is working late,and i could really go for some fishing
Old 09-01-09, 08:47 PM   #16
Jim80

i hear ya man I had to pass on fishing outings the last two nights and have been chomping at the bits , but tomorrow is a lock in for fishing so i'll be happy
Old 09-01-09, 10:53 PM   #17
bamabassman

plumbers are well paid for their services waffle, if oyu enjoy working with your hnds, crawling under houses, spiders, snakes, rats, roaches,etc. good luck. you will EARN every dime you get pal.

i really mean good luck and you WILL earn your money.
Old 09-03-09, 01:00 PM   #18
WaffleJaw

well the guy is going to pass me up......it sucks ,but like i said,i understood why.
it was only like the 4th place i tried,with plenty more to call and walk in on....so from here on out ill be trying more commerical plumbing places....i got alot of friends helping me out too,so im sure something will come up soon...until then ill just be grateful that i can be lazy and B.S with you guys at my work now
Old 09-03-09, 01:08 PM   #19
brushhog

Keep plugging away, I've said it a million times here before, "tough times don't last, tough people do!"

Good luck.
Old 09-03-09, 03:01 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Tough break, Waffle. but at least you are doing it right...looking while you have a job. So many people wait until they lose their job before they even think about other work.

Basically, even brain surgeons need to keep their options open. No matter how important you think you are to your employer, they can probably replace you in a couple weeks...especially in this economy. Always keep your eyes out for better opportunities.
Old 09-03-09, 04:02 PM   #21
Crank-Bait-Frank
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Waffle, start checking out commecial plumbing jobs. (please) The look of the ears and tats wont' matter if the personality and attidue is the there! I work as a commercial superintendent and if you go that way you will gain the experiance needed to venture in any direction you would like to go. Just my 2-cents.
Old 09-03-09, 04:14 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
Waffle, start checking out commecial plumbing jobs. (please) The look of the ears and tats wont' matter if the personality and attidue is the there! I work as a commercial superintendent and if you go that way you will gain the experiance needed to venture in any direction you would like to go. Just my 2-cents.
thats exactly what ive been doing all morning!!..lol...thx,frank

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.