Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-07, 09:04 PM   #1
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

Default short strikes

last night we were fishing a lake we usually fish twice a week. we almost always throw white spinner baits with colorado blades and chartreuse trailers. usually catch a dozen or so in about two hours. last night the lake was a couple feet low and we starte out as we always do. the fish were hitting the bait but wer just not holding on to it. i changed to chartreuse because the water seemed to be dirtier than usual thinking that might help. they wouldn't even hit that bait. we ended up cathing about 6 or 7. only one was really decent 5lbs. all the others were relatively small less than 2 pounds. i tried switching to brush hogs fished em real slow. still nothing. any suggestions on what one should do when they are getting "short strikes".
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:07 PM   #2
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try to slow down just an tad bit and add an trailer hook
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:24 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Trailer hook.
Old 08-31-07, 10:28 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep-add a trailer hook.
Old 09-01-07, 01:26 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob

or the lure could have had a bad scent to it or the fish wanted a slightly different color, could have been small fish hitting too big a lure, water could have been clearer than normal allowing the fish to realize at the last second that they were fooled, could be the water level being low and the fish feeling pressured, but in reality

I think it was because you put your left shoe on before the right shoe. bass are like women, they can't make up their mind what they want and don't ever have a logical reason for their actions.
Old 09-01-07, 04:53 AM   #6
robbor
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ???

That doesnt sound right to me, a colorado blade usually fishes much slower than a willow. Id have to say there is something else going on. Id really check your hook. Id also consider downsizing to a smaller spinnerbait. Ive really seldom noticed a color preference espically in dingy water. Im thinking small bass or bluegill. Another option since you already have an area with fish would be to possible try fishing a double willow faster and closer to cover trying to force a more viscous reaction strike. Ive seen some colorado blades that will beat the hook to death. I remember a jimmy houston show were he gave his guest a sb with either no hook or a cap on it. Ive also seen luls in fishing right at dark.
robbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 07:57 AM   #7
JB

We had the same thing happen to us last week fishing.
The fish weren't biting at all, so I started throwing the spinnerbait and
within minutes started getting hits but no takers. Had a trailerhook on but they seemed to just bap it once and let go...that was about all the action I got that day, denny had two, I had one on the horney toad but got hung on a log and didn't have any braid on..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 08:34 AM   #8
keithdog

I think if I were to start getting short strikes on my spinnerbait, I would have a soft jerk bait rigged and follow up with that on any short strikers.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 09:31 AM   #9
JB

great minds think alike keith! Thats exactly what I did, rigged up one of lizards
finS in alewife color and twitched it, but no takers. It wont be long tho this fall they should kill that jerkbait when the temps start falling.
Old 09-01-07, 07:44 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
great minds think alike keith! Thats exactly what I did, rigged up one of lizards
finS in alewife color and twitched it, but no takers. It wont be long tho this fall they should kill that jerkbait when the temps start falling.
They Kill it all year long

Lizards
Old 09-01-07, 08:37 PM   #11
JB

i figured it was a off day for mr lunkerlips lol
Old 09-03-07, 11:41 PM   #12
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for all the tips guys. we are going to head back out to lonestar on wed.we'll see how it goes this week.... also we went to another lake a couple times this weekend and boy couldn't buy a fish it seemed like. i think after reading the thread on hevily pressured fish that may also be some of what happened to us this weekend. both days we went to the lake its like 150 acres there must have been 10- 15 boats fishing every time. caught a few early sun morn. but by mon p.m. no takers maybe after a week or so things will go back to normal what you gusy think?
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 04:57 PM   #13
reel cool 2
BassFishin.Com Member

30 years ago I was fishing a major tourny. The LEW CHILDRE memorial. I was paired up with SHORTY EVANS. It was Aug. and the weather changed everyday. LUNKER LURES were the red hot bait. The fish were striking short.
Shorty put a hook tied 6" with mono on the back end. Well no more short
strikes for Shorty. 17 pounds later and he moved to 17th place with a 150 man field. He was 43rd going into day three. That trick put him in the money.
As long as you have no real weedy conditions, this tip could work.
Good Luck.
reel cool 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 08:53 PM   #14
zooker

trailer hook or if your me change the spinnerbait profile.. a smaller blade would get less short strikes.
DO NOT slow down.if any thing speed up.the bass are seeing it for a fake early hence short striking.. put your foot on the gas and see if they don't hit it harder..

zooker
Old 10-10-07, 07:26 PM   #15
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Sometimes this works for me. As your reeling it in and get a short strike immedietly stop it and let it flutter down as if it its injured sometimes they will hit it again, and of course the trailer hook works too.
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 09:38 PM   #16
Charles E. White
BassFishin.Com Member

A red trailer hook for sure is your answer if you're getting short strikes and if you still get them add another trailer on the back of the first. Hank Parker says add up to three red trailer hooks.
Old 10-21-07, 06:12 PM   #17
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post

I think it was because you put your left shoe on before the right shoe. bass are like women, they can't make up their mind what they want and don't ever have a logical reason for their actions.
I get the feeling that you have taken a serious amount of time thinking about this statement ? Bass are like women, thats why its illegal to troll with credit cards during a tournament. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 07:23 AM   #18
Mac10

If your lake had a change over, water murkier than usual.....possibly making fishing off for a couple weeks.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.