Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-10, 01:20 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Trilene Big Game

For the past week or so some guys I know, that are real hard core anglers, have been pushing this trilene big game on me for my cranking rod. Now as a rule I typically do not use mono on anything except for my ultra light spinning gear that I have spooled with trilene xl 4# on. I am a braid man myself, and I currently have 40# power pro on my cranking rod, 20# Sufix fuse on my soft plastics rig, 15# power pro on my MH spinning rod and light action rod.

Would I be better served by big game, or another line for cranking? Would I be better served by other lines on my other rods? The only one I am really not willing to touch is the worming rig, because of the sensitivity.

A bit more detail: I use my soft plastics rod, a 6' MH cherrywood for top water and spinners as well.

The cranking rod, a 5' ugly stik handles cranks, hard swimbaits, and some soft swimbaits.

My light action rod is a 5' ugly stik that I use for light tackle.

My UL rod is a 4'6" Micro Graphite that serves as a panfish rig.

My 6'6" rhino rod pulls misc duties, but when it comes to bass I use it mainly for large swimbaits, and spinners. I plan to replace it for that purpose with a 7' MH cherrywood soon.

Opinions/advice are very welcome.
Old 09-11-10, 01:40 PM   #2
CamG

If you are using an 5' Ugly Stick for cranks, I'd keep the braid if it were me. That is a pretty flimsy rod and having braid on will at least help getting the hooks in the fish.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 02:02 PM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
If you are using an 5' Ugly Stick for cranks, I'd keep the braid if it were me. That is a pretty flimsy rod and having braid on will at least help getting the hooks in the fish.
I have to disagree with you on the rod there. It is a thick, fairly stiff rod.
Old 09-11-10, 03:45 PM   #4
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
I have to disagree with you on the rod there. It is a thick, fairly stiff rod.
Guess I've never seen an ugly stick like you mention. Everyone of them I've ever been around was more like a bull whip than a fishing rod.
Old 09-11-10, 04:05 PM   #5
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Guess I've never seen an ugly stick like you mention. Everyone of them I've ever been around was more like a bull whip than a fishing rod.
My light rod would fit that description lol. So would the rhino rod. I feel it made a fine intro into the baitcast world, but i love my new cherrywood. I have plans to replace the ugly stick for cranking with a 7' tourney choice rod I saw at academy. Its not a bad rod for the price. Either that or a second cherrywood. The ugly stick will become my pier rod.
Old 09-11-10, 06:38 PM   #6
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love Big Game line... but you really dont need mono for treble hooks unless you are working with a really fast tip that wont let teh fish have a little give... i use mono because i use Fast tip rods for everything... i will probably look into Flouro when i get a crankin rod...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 10:00 PM   #7
CaptO
BassFishin.Com Member

I think mono is quickly dieing in the bass fishing world but there are still some times I'll use it.

For a swimbaits as long as the water is not super clear.

Buzzbaits, helps add that split second to the hook set

other than that I used ether braid or Fluo
CaptO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 11:35 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like Big Game, but it develops a ton of memory quickly. Once you start picking nest every other cast, snip and add more though. Myself, I have fell in love with CXX P-Line for my cranks. I was dragging it through the jungle last time I went and never lost a crank. I feel it was due to the sensitivity. And I wasn't getting much abrasion. I also relocated several bush tops with it without it snapping off.
Old 09-12-10, 07:53 AM   #9
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I like Big Game, but it develops a ton of memory quickly. Once you start picking nest every other cast, snip and add more though. Myself, I have fell in love with CXX P-Line for my cranks. I was dragging it through the jungle last time I went and never lost a crank. I feel it was due to the sensitivity. And I wasn't getting much abrasion. I also relocated several bush tops with it without it snapping off.
I am also a huge fan of the CXX from P-Line. I am using for almost everything now, and the stuff is as strong as nails. The other day, I bent a spinnerbait hook straight with 12 lb. CXX. It does have some memory, but it is treatable with KVD Line and Lure.

Ryan
Old 09-12-10, 08:17 AM   #10
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

one way to help with the memory is to use KVD line conditioner. trust me on this. it may not get rid of the memeory forever, but it makes the line lasts longer.
Old 09-12-10, 08:35 AM   #11
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As far as which mono to use, junk the Big Game and get some Sufix Siege or Elite. Best mono's I've used and won't use anything else.

Personally, if you do a lot of crankbait fishing, I'd look into getting a dedicated crankbait rod and running some good mono (like the two I mentioned before) on it. Personally, I like a longer crankbait rod, 7'+, but you seem to prefer shorter rods.

A good general crankbait rod is either a Medium or Med-Heavy powered rod. If you fish mostly under 1/2 cranks, go M.

A Moderate or Moderate-Fast action is ideal for cranks.

BB
Old 09-12-10, 09:23 AM   #12
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptO View Post
I think mono is quickly dieing in the bass fishing world but there are still some times I'll use it.

For a swimbaits as long as the water is not super clear.

Buzzbaits, helps add that split second to the hook set

other than that I used ether braid or Fluo
You don't think the fish see the giant treble hooks in super clear water? Line shy fish is a myth IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
As far as which mono to use, junk the Big Game and get some Sufix Siege or Elite. Best mono's I've used and won't use anything else.

Personally, if you do a lot of crankbait fishing, I'd look into getting a dedicated crankbait rod and running some good mono (like the two I mentioned before) on it. Personally, I like a longer crankbait rod, 7'+, but you seem to prefer shorter rods.

A good general crankbait rod is either a Medium or Med-Heavy powered rod. If you fish mostly under 1/2 cranks, go M.

A Moderate or Moderate-Fast action is ideal for cranks.

BB
IMHO, Big Game is much better than either of the lines you mention.

To get back to your question John, if you want to try mono - go for it! That's the best part about Big Game - very inexpensive!
Old 09-12-10, 11:30 AM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
IMHO, Big Game is much better than either of the lines you mention.

CamG, I also use allot to the Suffix mono line, I am interested in what your experience with it has been that makes you feel Big Game is a better choice.

I have used big game on my bass reels and felt like it had too much memory for my liking, even when treated with KVD. It also does not seem consistant, never seem to get the same line twice.

I do continue to use Big Game on my Catfish and Spoonbill rigs, using enough weight on those to make the line memory a non issue.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 12:16 PM   #14
BassFeverJohn

Well, I was snooping around the garage this morning, and what do you think i found. Yup, a spool of 30# big game. It must be my father's, as he pier fishes almost exclusively and only uses heavy mono lines.

I just spooled it up on my cranking rod. I will give it a try tonight. As for memory; it seems to have a good bit right off the spool. But, I am going to give it a fair try.
Old 09-12-10, 12:26 PM   #15
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

30LB Mono???!?! Take that off. Your Bass rod won't do well with that.. I use Big Game. But the stretch is tremendously bad.. I've missed a lot of Buzzbait fish because of the stretch.
Old 09-12-10, 12:49 PM   #16
Tavery5

John, that is probably going to be too heavy of a line on your setup to make a fair assessment of Big Game Line, I would try and get a hold of some in the 10-15 lb range. I don't think you are going to have good luck casting that on your current CB setup.
Anyway, good luck
Old 09-12-10, 12:54 PM   #17
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
CamG, I also use allot to the Suffix mono line, I am interested in what your experience with it has been that makes you feel Big Game is a better choice.

I have used big game on my bass reels and felt like it had too much memory for my liking, even when treated with KVD. It also does not seem consistant, never seem to get the same line twice.

I do continue to use Big Game on my Catfish and Spoonbill rigs, using enough weight on those to make the line memory a non issue.
I've had the exact opposite experience as you. I bought a spool of Sufix Elite and Siege because of all the hype I've heard on here about it. The 10 lb. Elite I used on one of my crankbait rods was plain and simple weak. A quick tug after the line was tied to the bait would snap. The Siege was a little better in the 12 lb. but honestly I thought it had way more memory than the Big Game even after treating it. With Big Game, it's always consistant and tough as nails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Well, I was snooping around the garage this morning, and what do you think i found. Yup, a spool of 30# big game. It must be my father's, as he pier fishes almost exclusively and only uses heavy mono lines.

I just spooled it up on my cranking rod. I will give it a try tonight. As for memory; it seems to have a good bit right off the spool. But, I am going to give it a fair try.
Umm...there's no way to give Big Game a "fair try" when you're using 30 lb. test. ANY 30# test is going to feel more like wire than fishing line, and will have memory.
Old 09-12-10, 01:06 PM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
I've had the exact opposite experience as you. I bought a spool of Sufix Elite and Siege because of all the hype I've heard on here about it. The 10 lb. Elite I used on one of my crankbait rods was plain and simple weak. A quick tug after the line was tied to the bait would snap. The Siege was a little better in the 12 lb. but honestly I thought it had way more memory than the Big Game even after treating it. With Big Game, it's always consistant and tough as nails.
This is why I find it so interesting to hear others experience with tackle. I can't explain why you had such a bad experience with Suffix, but I will say it has been good line for me. I think I will run over to Wally World and pick up another spool of 12lb Big Game and give it another try, who knows, maybe I am missing out.
Old 09-12-10, 01:11 PM   #19
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
This is why I find it so interesting to hear others experience with tackle. I can't explain why you had such a bad experience with Suffix, but I will say it has been good line for me. I think I will run over to Wally World and pick up another spool of 12lb Big Game and give it another try, who knows, maybe I am missing out.
I understand...they have some Sufix Pro Mix here in town on clearance for $4. Thinking I may grab some of that to give it a try this week.
Old 10-08-10, 01:18 PM   #20
BigBurlyBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by camg View Post
i understand...they have some sufix pro mix here in town on clearance for $4. Thinking i may grab some of that to give it a try this week.
4 dollars for suffix! Man get all you can!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 09:23 PM   #21
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBurlyBass View Post
4 dollars for suffix! Man get all you can!
I did...not really worth much more than that IMHO.
Old 10-08-10, 09:56 PM   #22
BassBandit

You must have had a bad batch. It might have sat on the shelf so long before you bought it. No problem with Sufix Elite on my end.

Back to the subject, I don't like Big Game line for bassin but do use em for flatheads.

Last edited by BassBandit; 10-08-10 at 10:01 PM.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 02:09 PM   #23
dave0943

I'm going to give the suffix lines another try. I did try Big Game 10 lb and it wasn't for me. It was coiling right off the spool. Could have been old line. I bought it at a Dunhams store. They don't move much fishing gear at that store. Many of the Salted plastics look real bad on the racks, like they have been sitting for years. I only have two BC reels with mono out of 10. I have 5 spinning reels with Trilene XL and Pline. I will give the Big Game another try at some point and will buy it from a high volume store that moves allot of product, so it's fresh. At that price I have everything to gain if it does work good.
I have really taken to braid with fluoro leader. Wish fluoro was a little more user friendly.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 06:59 PM   #24
walkeraviator

Well after a season of 15lb big game im gonna go to something else in the spring... noticed today that it looked like I had a phone cord hanging off the end of my rod... hard to fish a weightless plastic when the first 4 ft of rod movement is simply removing line slack...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 08:26 PM   #25
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
noticed today that it looked like I had a phone cord hanging off the end of my rod...
Hate the pigtail too. I don't get that with Elite as its limp hardly a memory.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.