Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-10, 12:05 AM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Extra Money Time For A New Rod

I sold some stuff from an old hobby and ended up with some extra money so I was thinking perfect time for a new setup. I was looking for some input on what type of setup to go with. Below are the rods I am looking at in no order. I started bass fishing a few years ago so i do not have any technique that I use more then any other, I really try and fish all techniques. and it depends of the lake im fishing too. so just let me know what you would do if you had some extra money for a setup. I do not have any setups for these techniques. I am willing to spend between 200-300 on a setup. So let me know your input.

Drop Shot:
VERITAS 7' medium, fast
VENDETTA 7' medium, fast
Crucial 6'8" medium, extra fast
Okuma 7' medium, extra fast

Shallow Crank:
E21 6'9" medium, Mod
CRUCIAL 7' medium, mod fast
S-Glass 7' medium, mod fast

Top Water:
MOJO 6'6" medium, fast
CRUCIAL 6'6" medium, fast
E21 6'2" medium fast

Worm:
OKUMA 7' MH, fast
MOJO 7' MH, fast
QUANTUM 7' MH, fast

These are just some rods I found in my free time today. If you have any others you recomend let me know. I might wait tell winter to hit the good sales becuase it is starting to get pretty cold around here already.

thanks
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 07:09 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd wait till TW's Black Friday sale, they usually have some good prices then.

Dropshot: I'd go with the Crucial. I have a 7'2" M XF that I love. I went with the M over the ML because there are times I must fish with 3/8 or 1/2oz weights. If I was fishing all inland lakes, using my typical 1/8-3/16oz weight, the ML would have been my choice.

Shallow Cranks: Again, I'd go with the Crucial. I'm not a fan of carrot sticks, and the build quality on the Crucial is so far beyond the Skeet Reese Tessera. 7' M MF should make a great shallow crankbait rod. I'd also check out Powell rods for a 7' M M or 7' M MF.

Topwater: I don't fish topwaters much, so usually throw them on whatever rod is open. I've fished poppers on everything from a 6' M rod to a 7'6" MH, and a lot of rods in between. Of your selections, I'd go Crucial again because of build quality and the great warranty.

Worm: Here is where sensitivity is of utmost importance. (well, it is in DSing too). If you don't mind trying something over 7', I'd give the Dobyns SS733C or a Powell 733CEF. If you can't go over 7' for storage or transportation reasons, check out the 7' MH versions (703 model #) of those same rods.

BB
Old 10-06-10, 07:21 AM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd wait till TW's Black Friday sale, they usually have some good prices then.

Dropshot: I'd go with the Crucial. I have a 7'2" M XF that I love. I went with the M over the ML because there are times I must fish with 3/8 or 1/2oz weights. If I was fishing all inland lakes, using my typical 1/8-3/16oz weight, the ML would have been my choice.

Shallow Cranks: Again, I'd go with the Crucial. I'm not a fan of carrot sticks, and the build quality on the Crucial is so far beyond the Skeet Reese Tessera. 7' M MF should make a great shallow crankbait rod. I'd also check out Powell rods for a 7' M M or 7' M MF.

Topwater: I don't fish topwaters much, so usually throw them on whatever rod is open. I've fished poppers on everything from a 6' M rod to a 7'6" MH, and a lot of rods in between. Of your selections, I'd go Crucial again because of build quality and the great warranty.

Worm: Here is where sensitivity is of utmost importance. (well, it is in DSing too). If you don't mind trying something over 7', I'd give the Dobyns SS733C or a Powell 733CEF. If you can't go over 7' for storage or transportation reasons, check out the 7' MH versions (703 model #) of those same rods.

BB
I agree with BB on the Crucial rods. Having a couple myself, I also can attest to it's being a great rod. Strong and sensitive. Add a Revo SX and you've got a nice outfit for around $300.00, maybe a little more. Of the rods you listed, the 6 1/2' medium-fast might be the best all around rod I would think.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 05:00 PM   #4
MO3N

Thanks for the input guys. What technique rod should I go with? like i said i fish as much of each type as i can. it will be nice to have a dedicated rod for one more technique. What technique do you guys thing is the most helpful? I know this greatly depends on how i like to fish and were I am fishing but just some advice.

and what do you guys think of the new abu or okuma rods?
Old 10-06-10, 05:08 PM   #5
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you talking rod/reel...or just rod?
Old 10-06-10, 05:51 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Let me start by asking you what you have already... What do you have already?

If you don't have a dedicated setup for any of these techniques, I'd go with either the worm rod, because that can handle a wide variety of baits. a 6'9-7'3" MH F rod is VERY versatile. Or I'd go crankbait rod.

If you already have something that works good for worms, jigs, etc., then I'd definitely choose the crankbait rod. If I could have two rods, it would be a 7'3" MH F all purpose rod, and a 7' MH M-MF crankbait rod.

Dropshot would be my third choice, but any 6'6"-7' ML-M F-XF rod will work for it. And topwaters would be dead last for me. I actually don't have a topwater specific rod cause I just throw topwaters on most all my other rods.

BB
Old 10-06-10, 06:52 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Let me start by asking you what you have already... What do you have already?

If you don't have a dedicated setup for any of these techniques, I'd go with either the worm rod, because that can handle a wide variety of baits. a 6'9-7'3" MH F rod is VERY versatile. Or I'd go crankbait rod.

If you already have something that works good for worms, jigs, etc., then I'd definitely choose the crankbait rod. If I could have two rods, it would be a 7'3" MH F all purpose rod, and a 7' MH M-MF crankbait rod.

Dropshot would be my third choice, but any 6'6"-7' ML-M F-XF rod will work for it. And topwaters would be dead last for me. I actually don't have a topwater specific rod cause I just throw topwaters on most all my other rods.

BB
I couldnt have said it better myself.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 07:05 PM   #8
MO3N

I am mostly talking rods. I have a pretty good idea of the reel I will go with depending on the set up.

BigBassin: my current setups are as fallows
6'6" MH Fenwick I use for spinnerbaits
7' MH ST Croix avid I use for jigs, frogs and if im using heavy worms its this rod
A cabelas rod a took from my dad for deep cranks MH M (TWO PIECE)
6'6" medium spinning set up. CHEAP rod that i use for weightless worms.
Old 10-06-10, 08:08 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Mo3n, I think your 7' MH or the 6'6" MH would both work for t-rigs. In this case, I'd go with the crankin' stick.

But it really depends on what you use more. If you use t-rigs a lot, or if you always have a spinnerbait tied on the 6'6", and a jig or frog always tied on the 7' MH, Then a t-rig rod may be worth looking into. For example, I bought a rod for t-rigs, senkos, and light jigs. I almost always have a senko tied on, and hate to cut it off. Now I have a rod for t-rig and light jigs, and have a senko on my senko rod 95% of the time.

If you don't mind cutting the spinnerbait or the jig off to use a t-rig, then I think a crankbait rod would probably benefit you more.

BB
Old 10-07-10, 12:54 AM   #10
MO3N

I almost always have a spinnerbait tied on to my line, jigs on the other hand are a different story. I would like to use them more, but they just never produce for me. so I would be willing to use it for T-rigs. I do enjoy throwing a shallow crankbait, so I think ill go with that rod. and I think I might try and pick up a dropshot rig for my next setup.

So another Question. I have 30# braid on the St. Croix rod if I switch to a T-rig rod should I add a flouro leader? im guessing that will depend on the situation im fishing. But any advice?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-13-10, 03:10 PM   #11
tim4081

MO3N,

As to your question about fluoro leaders, there are three situations where I'll add a leader to my braid. First is when I'm fishing an area where abrasion is of great concern....alot of rocks and/or zebra mussels for example. The fluoro cuts less easily than straight braid. The second is when fishing ultra clear water. This is probably more a confidence thing for me but I do believe it helps with the number of hits I get. The third is when I want a little quicker sink rate such as when using senkos in a little deeper water. I use a uni to uni knot and try to match the diameter of the braid.

The other advantage to this is that if you get a bad snag its much easier to break off the weaker fluoro than if you had just straight braid on.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 06:42 PM   #12
BigBassin144

For t-rigs, I usually use a leader. If you're throwing it in heavy cover or dirty water, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, did you decide yet? It's a tough decision, I know from experience!

BB
Old 10-13-10, 09:54 PM   #13
MO3N

I did I actually chose to go with a custom rod from nelson. It is more expensive then I wanted to go, But im about to graduate college and I figured its a good gift for myself I went with a shallow crankbait rod, 7' medium mod-fast with micro guides. If the sales are good enough for black friday I may pick up a dropshot rig but who knows how the money will go.

I just got the details figured out on my rod and im very excited to get it in a month or so. Nelson did a very good job of helping me through all the choices, I had no idea there were so many options for a custom rod.
Old 10-13-10, 10:08 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
I did I actually chose to go with a custom rod from nelson. It is more expensive then I wanted to go, But im about to graduate college and I figured its a good gift for myself I went with a shallow crankbait rod, 7' medium mod-fast with micro guides. If the sales are good enough for black friday I may pick up a dropshot rig but who knows how the money will go.

I just got the details figured out on my rod and im very excited to get it in a month or so. Nelson did a very good job of helping me through all the choices, I had no idea there were so many options for a custom rod.
Awesome! Walker does some nice work. (Walker, the site looks great by the way).

Black Friday should bring some good sales. If I'm not careful, I might end up with another rod. I think I need to lock my computer in a safe for that weekend, lol.

BB
Old 10-13-10, 10:26 PM   #15
Jrob78

So you're gonna get you a Nelson huh? Good choice, I've had the opportunity to see several Nelsons first hand and even fished with a couple. Nelsons are top notch rods, you will not be sorry!

What blank did you decide to go with?

Old 10-13-10, 11:11 PM   #16
Bender

Congrats on getting a custom rod, that's the best choice. I've had or have several of the rods you listed at the beginning. The 6'8" Crucial for D.S. is a super rod for that. I also had a 7'2" and found that I only used it when fishing rivers with heavy weights. The shorter one I used 98% of the time until I broke it and changed brands because they didn't have the same thing in stock. I mainly used 1/16-1/4 oz weights with it and used little gobies or small worms.

I use all the time the 6'6" M Crucial casting rod too. It's one of my favorite rods and incredibly light. I mainly use it for jerkbaits and use it for poppers too. The handle is very short which makes it perfect for those two applications. The handle on mine isn't the one in the photo there or on Shimano's site for that rod. It's more like the one in the main photo here.

I also have an Okuma 7'MH casting rod. Mine is the Guide Series which must be the predecessor to that Concept C3. I really like it but it doesn't have the backbone that some other 7' MH rods do that I have like a St.Croix Premier and a Fenwick TechnaAV. I think those 2 rods are what a MH should be and the Okuma is not as stout. I do like it though and it is great for worms. I think mine has Alconite guides and was about $100, nice for that price.

Also as Anthony said take a look at the Powell rods. The only one I have so far is a frog rod but several of my friends have boats full of them and really like them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 01:41 AM   #17
MO3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
So you're gonna get you a Nelson huh? Good choice, I've had the opportunity to see several Nelsons first hand and even fished with a couple. Nelsons are top notch rods, you will not be sorry!

What blank did you decide to go with?

I cant wait I'm excited. I told him what I was looking for and he found everything for me. I told him size, power action and line I would be using. He came up with a MHX 7' medium mod-fast blank. On top of all his help with this rod he also gave me a lot of info on building my own custom rods which is something I would love to get into once I graduate and have more time. Its nice to see someone that does it for money but still likes to get others into the hobby as well. We have sent probably ten emails back and forth and only about two or three of those were actual emails about my specific rod, the rest were me grilling him about how to build rods.
Old 10-14-10, 01:43 AM   #18
MO3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Congrats on getting a custom rod, that's the best choice. I've had or have several of the rods you listed at the beginning. The 6'8" Crucial for D.S. is a super rod for that. I also had a 7'2" and found that I only used it when fishing rivers with heavy weights. The shorter one I used 98% of the time until I broke it and changed brands because they didn't have the same thing in stock. I mainly used 1/16-1/4 oz weights with it and used little gobies or small worms.

I use all the time the 6'6" M Crucial casting rod too. It's one of my favorite rods and incredibly light. I mainly use it for jerkbaits and use it for poppers too. The handle is very short which makes it perfect for those two applications. The handle on mine isn't the one in the photo there or on Shimano's site for that rod. It's more like the one in the main photo here.

I also have an Okuma 7'MH casting rod. Mine is the Guide Series which must be the predecessor to that Concept C3. I really like it but it doesn't have the backbone that some other 7' MH rods do that I have like a St.Croix Premier and a Fenwick TechnaAV. I think those 2 rods are what a MH should be and the Okuma is not as stout. I do like it though and it is great for worms. I think mine has Alconite guides and was about $100, nice for that price.

Also as Anthony said take a look at the Powell rods. The only one I have so far is a frog rod but several of my friends have boats full of them and really like them.
I would love to get a dropshot rod, I will look at the shimano's for sure. Im sure it wont be any time soon but I do what to try the abu rods. they seem like a good rod for the money. but I will need to wait tell the money supply builds back up before I can do that.
Old 10-14-10, 08:28 AM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
I cant wait I'm excited. I told him what I was looking for and he found everything for me. I told him size, power action and line I would be using. He came up with a MHX 7' medium mod-fast blank. On top of all his help with this rod he also gave me a lot of info on building my own custom rods which is something I would love to get into once I graduate and have more time. Its nice to see someone that does it for money but still likes to get others into the hobby as well. We have sent probably ten emails back and forth and only about two or three of those were actual emails about my specific rod, the rest were me grilling him about how to build rods.
The number of people on my "friend" list is pretty short these days, Walker is definitely on that list. He is a good dude and he knows his stuff. I guarantee you will be very happy with whatever he builds for you.

Once you get your hands on a custom rod with micro guides, nothing else is going to be good enough, be prepared for that.

The MHX blanks are great blanks that don't cost a fortune. I've never built on the blends but I have on the mag-bass blanks. I'm sure you will love it.

Like Bender and BB said, for production rods check out Powell. Really good rods at a reasonable price. If I didn't build rods I would probably fish Powells.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.