Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-10, 07:59 PM   #1
BassFishingInMi
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What do you think about this Baitcast Combo?

Ok, I would like to start of with this is my first Baitcaster (Yes I am noob) , Here's the one I was looking at : http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ils_box_holder

I had a couple of questions:
I am left handed so how and I cant find a baitcaster that is left handed?
Is there any other baitcaster that you would reccomend?
What do you think of this combo?

Thanks, Evan
BassFishingInMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 09:54 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That combo doesn't look too bad for the price. But as a Revo guy I don't have much experience with Pflueger baitcasters, maybe someone on here who has more experience with them can chime in and help you out with that. But you asked if there was another baitcaster that anyone would recommend and I would like to throw Abu-Garcia Revos in the mix. They make several different models in a lot of different price ranges and I can tell you that they are a great reel.
Old 07-26-10, 09:58 PM   #3
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This ought to be just fine for your first bait caster. Just about every manufacturer makes a left handed reel. so it shouldn't be that difficult. I'm right handed but i own several left handed reels. But as discussed on another thread you might want to consider starting with a right handed reel. As you advance in bass fishing this would be very beneficial. It will make flipping easier and some times you will want to start cranking as soon as the bait hits the water, again easier as a lefty if you cast with your left to begin reeling with your right as soon as the bait hits the water.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 09:59 PM   #4
rangerryan

I am also with C-rig on the Revo.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 10:09 PM   #5
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That seems like a pretty good combo! But if you wanna try a left handed reel I would try that Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reel in that 6.4:1 gear ratio and pair it up with a rod that you like. The reel is $99.99 regular price.
Old 07-27-10, 12:27 AM   #6
bassinbob

I just bought the Silver Max with a Lightning rod and it was left handed. I have other Revos and this less costly model seems fine. Got it from Dick's though. I think it would be a great starter combo.
Old 07-27-10, 03:41 AM   #7
islandbass

Hold up!!!!! I'm not talking about the combo as it looks fine. But I do have to tell you that being left-hand dominant as you are, doesn't necessarily mean that you need a left handed reel.

When it comes to casting reels a "right-handed" reel is designated as such because the handle of the reel in going to be on the right side. It has absolutely nothing to do with the left or right hand dominance of the angler. In other words a "right-handed" reel is not necessarily for a right-handed person. Granted, there are probably a lot of right-handed people that use right handed reels, and I am willing to bet that they have been fishing for a very long time and in a period when left handed casting reels were rare to find.

As a start, I would choose a casting reel that has the handle on the same side as your spinning reel. I am willing to be a floating Rapala minnow that you will feel most comfortable with that choice.

It does come down to comfort in the end and only you can know for yourself, but please do yourself a favor and try both before you buy.

One of the lucky things about being left handed is that there are a few more options for you in the realm of casting reels.

Congrats on this step. You're going to love casting reels.
Old 07-27-10, 08:02 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Hold up!!!!! I'm not talking about the combo as it looks fine. But I do have to tell you that being left-hand dominant as you are, doesn't necessarily mean that you need a left handed reel.

When it comes to casting reels a "right-handed" reel is designated as such because the handle of the reel in going to be on the right side. It has absolutely nothing to do with the left or right hand dominance of the angler. In other words a "right-handed" reel is not necessarily for a right-handed person. Granted, there are probably a lot of right-handed people that use right handed reels, and I am willing to bet that they have been fishing for a very long time and in a period when left handed casting reels were rare to find.

As a start, I would choose a casting reel that has the handle on the same side as your spinning reel. I am willing to be a floating Rapala minnow that you will feel most comfortable with that choice.

It does come down to comfort in the end and only you can know for yourself, but please do yourself a favor and try both before you buy.

One of the lucky things about being left handed is that there are a few more options for you in the realm of casting reels.

I completely agree. I'm right handed and fish LH reels exclusively. That way, I can keep the rod in my dominant hand at all times. Giving me more coordination and power.

I would definitely give the RH reel a try before you go to a lefty. See if gander will exchange the combo for one with the opposite handed reel if you fish with it a while and don't like it.

BB
Old 07-27-10, 09:22 AM   #9
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I completely agree. I'm right handed and fish LH reels exclusively. That way, I can keep the rod in my dominant hand at all times. Giving me more coordination and power.

I would definitely give the RH reel a try before you go to a lefty. See if gander will exchange the combo for one with the opposite handed reel if you fish with it a while and don't like it.

BB
Good advice here!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 10:30 AM   #10
Bassboss

hmm.. looks OK. Lower end Floogers never interested me. Also the flooger has a 6 pin centrifugal breaks. IMO, magnetic breaks are MUCH easier to use. A low priced reel with a good rep., is the Daiwa Exceler. a Great deal considering all it has to offer for 80 bucks! The Al. frame vs graphite frame makes it worth it all on it's own IMO. As far as rods, I've heard good thing about the Daiwa Teirra rod, and Abu Garcia Veangace. I have not used either of these though. Get a reel with the crank on the right side if you write with your left.

Just my opinion, should be wrong!
Old 07-27-10, 10:32 AM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
hmm.. looks OK. Lower end Floogers never interested me. Also the flooger has a 6 pin centrifugal breaks. IMO, magnetic breaks are MUCH easier to use. A low priced reel with a good rep., is the Daiwa Exceler. a Great deal considering all it has to offer for 80 bucks! The Al. frame vs graphite frame makes it worth it all on it's own IMO. As far as rods, I've heard good thing about the Daiwa Teirra rod, and Abu Garcia Veangace. I have not used either of these though.

Just my opinion, should be wrong!
I agree about the Daiwa Exceler, great reel for the money. Look around, you should be able to find a Exceler combo for less than what that Pflueger combo costs.

I would also look for a right handed reel if you aren't used to using a left already.
Old 07-27-10, 11:20 AM   #12
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

magnetic brakes do not sop backlash as well as centrifugal brakes.
Old 07-27-10, 09:49 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
magnetic brakes do not sop backlash as well as centrifugal brakes.
That's a matter of opinion, and design.

I fish mostly Daiwa reel, all with either Magforce V or Magforce Z magnetic brakes. I don't get any more backlashes than on my reels with centrifugal brakes.

Also, like I said, it can depend on the design. I find Daiwa's Magforce V/Z brakes to work much better than the magnetic brakes on my Revo STX and BPS JM Signature reel (when the centrifugals are turned off).

BB
Old 07-28-10, 12:27 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

Before you buy it, especially since you are left handed I would highly recommend you go someplace that sells combos and handle a few and see which one feels right to you. That way you will know whether a right hand or left hand reel will work best for you and you can buy accordingly.
Old 07-29-10, 08:56 AM   #15
Garry2rs

The outfit looks like a bargain to me.
Being lefthanded I strongly suggest you find a left handed reel.
Don't listen to these instant experts who graduated from Spinning reels and think that they were born to crank with their weak hand.

These guys are the same guys who are planning to reinvent the wheel next weekend...

Trust me, there is are good reasons why most of the Pro's reel with their weak hand and why generations of anglers in the past did the same.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 09:23 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Don't listen to these instant experts who graduated from Spinning reels and think that they were born to crank with their weak hand.

These guys are the same guys who are planning to reinvent the wheel next weekend...

Trust me, there is are good reasons why most of the Pro's reel with their weak hand and why generations of anglers in the past did the same.
Garry2R's
So you would rather present your bait, move the rod, and set the hook with your weak hand? I'd rather crank the reel with it.

BB
Old 07-29-10, 09:36 AM   #17
bassboogieman

I think he meant - most pro's reel with their STRONG (or dominant) hand. I totally agree.
I've done a lot of saltwater fishing and you almost never see a left hand trolling reel. My opinion - it takes the coordination of the dominant hand to crank a reel while lifting the rod (not much coordination required there) with the off hand/arm, and I think the coordination thing transfers equally to freshwater. The guys that like the left handed reels, feel they have an advantage in the ability to start cranking immediatley at the end of a cast by not changing the rod to the off hand - and really, for many presentations that ISN'T in the equation. Frogs, top waters, most all plastics, you don't start reeling right away as you let the lure settle first. So the ability to begin cranking "right away" doesn't apply to the majority of lures that I fish, so the "edge" afforded by a left handed reel (for that argument) is marginal in most applications. About the only retrieves I want to start cranking right away are lipless cranks and spinnerbaits, when I want the blades turning right away. But even with those lures sometimes I'll let them sink first, so the need to start reeling immediately is negated. I don't have any issue with changing hands, I don't even think about doing it and it's done as the lure hits the water and I'm cranking right away, if need be. Hook set? How much strength or coordination is required? It's usually a sweep or lifting of the rod to do that, not a lot of coordination required. Lure "presentation"? I do most of mine by lifting or twitching the rod - in my off hand. Not a lot of coordination required for that, as I'm usually concentrating on doing it so the off hand works just fine (for me). All that said, when it come to fighting a fish, the coordination of my dominant hand on the reel lets me crank without really thinking about that as much as concentrating on manipulating the rod (mostly with the off hand) to control the fish. Should the need arise, I also find it easier to move the dominant, more coordinated hand, from the reel handle to rod and back to the handle easier - because it feels right (more instinctive) and does not require a lot of thought to accomplish it. I don't feel comfortable at all with a left handed casting reel and see NO reason to "retrain" myself. What works for me obviously doesn't work for others - that's not important, it's what will work for you and that you are comfortable with it. For a beginner, you could go either way and train yourself, but if something feels right why retrain yourself to do it another way when only minimal advantages (my opinion) MAY be gained.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-29-10 at 10:23 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 02:33 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:

Garry2R's
To the best of my knowledge left hand baitcasting reels haven't been around that long. Hard to learn to do something that didn't exist. I've seen many right handed pros switch to left handed reels for pitching and flipping.

If you could start over again wouldn't it make more sense to work the rod with your dominant hand?
Gotta go, wheels to reinvent.
Old 07-29-10, 06:07 PM   #19
Dave63

It's a good outfit. The rest of it will take care of itself!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 10:30 PM   #20
Garry2rs

Quote:
So you would rather present your bait, move the rod, and set the hook with your weak hand? I'd rather crank the reel with it.

BB

YES!
I wish to change hands so I can hold the rod properly on the cast, and then switch hands so that I can hold the reel properly on the retrieve.
Garry2r's
Old 07-29-10, 10:38 PM   #21
Garry2rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
To the best of my knowledge left hand baitcasting reels haven't been around that long. Hard to learn to do something that didn't exist. I've seen many right handed pros switch to left handed reels for pitching and flipping.

If you could start over again wouldn't it make more sense to work the rod with your dominant hand?
Gotta go, wheels to reinvent.
No!
It would not make sense to me.
In other sports people take lessons to learn the proper way of swinging the racket or club etc.

Unfortunately in fishing most young people are self taught. Having graduated from Spinning they want to reel with their left hand because they simply don't know any better.
Old 07-29-10, 10:59 PM   #22
Jrob78

Quote:
No!
In other sports people take lessons to learn the proper way of swinging the racket or club etc.

Unfortunately in fishing most young people are self taught. Having graduated from Spinning they want to reel with their left hand because they simply don't know any better.
It makes even less sense to try to get someone who is used to something to switch hands because that's the way you did it.

I don't agree that there is a "right" way to do things. Just because it's the way it's always been done, and in fact, was the only option for a long time, doesn't necessarily make it right.

I started out as a little kid fishing spincasts, I moved to baitcasters when I was about 12, 20 yrs ago. I, like you, switch hands, it's the only way I've ever known. Spinning gear isn't even in the picture for me.

My point was this, if you had never picked up a reel before it might make more sense to use your dominant hand to control the rod. It takes much more dexterity to work a rod than it does to work a crank. Plus, you don't have to switch hands from cast to retrieve. I don't see how this doesn't make sense. It might not be a viable option for someone set in their ways, but for a beginner, why not?

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-29-10 at 11:24 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 09:18 AM   #23
BigBassin144

Quote:
YES!
I wish to change hands so I can hold the rod properly on the cast, and then switch hands so that I can hold the reel properly on the retrieve.
Garry2r's
So you "properly" hold the rod with your dominant hand. Then you switch to "properly" hold the reel with your weak hand while you crank away with your dominant... ok...

Quote:
No!

So how is fishing with a spinning reel in your dominant hand the reeling with your weak any different?!

If these people "don't know any better" then I'd say they got lucky. I am right handed, and fish LH reels exclusively. I can reel just fine with my weak hand, hell I could probably reel with my foot if I had to... But I feel much more confident casting and working the bait with my dominant hand. I don't know how, for a new-to-baitcasters angler, that it wouldn't be beneficial to learn this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
It makes even less sense to try to get someone who is used to something to switch hands because that's the way you did it.
Absolutely. Not thinking logically is just a side effect of being stuck in your ways and not open minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78
I don't agree that there is a "right" way to do things. Just because it's the way it's always been done, and in fact, was the only option for a long time, doesn't necessarily make it right.
Again, I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
I started out as a little kid fishing spincasts, I moved to baitcasters when I was about 12, 20 yrs ago. I, like you, switch hands, it's the only way I've ever known. Spinning gear isn't even in the picture for me.
Spinning gear has nothing to do with it. If you haven't noticed, spinning reels can be fished both RH or LH. And I know people who use both. And besides, I still don't see how if you RH and fish spinning reels LH, how it would make more sense to do the opposite thing when you learn baitcasters rather than stick with what you're already comfortable with.

Quote:
My point was this, if you had never picked up a reel before it might make more sense to use your dominant hand to control the rod. It takes much more dexterity to work a rod than it does to work a crank. Plus, you don't have to switch hands from cast to retrieve. I don't see how this doesn't make sense. It might not be a viable option for someone set in their ways, but for a beginner, why not?
While we've kind of agreed (in other threads) that switching hands is not much of a problem, especially for those who are used to doing it or do it before the lure hits the water. But I can see great advantages in working the bait (moving the rod) with your dominant hand while cranking is cranking.

BB
Old 07-30-10, 09:39 AM   #24
Jrob78

Quote:
While we've kind of agreed (in other threads) that switching hands is not much of a problem, especially for those who are used to doing it or do it before the lure hits the water. But I can see great advantages in working the bait (moving the rod) with your dominant hand while cranking is cranking.
BB
Agreed, switching hands has never been a problem for me. However, I'm not too closed minded to realize that the way I have always done things might not be the best or most efficient.

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-30-10 at 09:49 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 10:00 AM   #25
BassFishingInMi
BassFishin.Com Member

What about this: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL
BassFishingInMi is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.