Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-12, 02:28 PM   #1
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Shooting

First, let me say my heart goes out to all of the families and the injured. May God hold close to these people through their sorrow.

Second...

There are really sick people out there. And no, a ban on guns would not have stopped this. A couple trained security guards with guns could have kept so many from being killed though. ;( http://www.wral.com/gunman-killed-in...ting/11880586/
Old 12-14-12, 03:26 PM   #2
doc

I for one think it's time to have a few teachers with CCW permits in schools, preachers with CCW Permits in churches, and more armed security at the malls. As for the general public i'm ready for the old west, I think us law abiding citizens should be able to "open Carry". You never hear of these boneheads going into a gun store, or shooting range and opening fire, they always pick places where there are lots of unarmed citizens.

I hope I never see another one of these stories, but if I do I would sure like the headline to be "Gunman goes into school, principal puts 10 in his chest and 2 in his head.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 03:50 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
if I do I would sure like the headline to be "Gunman goes into school, principal puts 10 in his chest and 2 in his head.
AMEN.

We definitely need more good people packing.
Old 12-14-12, 04:15 PM   #4
WTL

Instead of teachers packing;

Lets create some new jobs. Say you have a school district with 12 schools. Hire 12 more police officers, and put them on the street. Then take 12 experienced officers off the streets, and have them patrol the school. Do it this way so that it will be more mature, stable officers in the schools. Surely, the security is worth what it would cost.
Old 12-14-12, 07:02 PM   #5
bamabassman

i agree billy but i still say ARM THE TEACHERS AND EVRY PEROSN AT THE SCHOOL. there SHOULD be a security guard at EVERY intrance to ALL schools. i know it would be a headache for some mom and dads...but saving a childs life is worth it right? this is really gonna get the ANTI-GUN fanatics yelling louder than ever i believe. i had a long post i wanted to put on facebook, but it wouldn't let me. i think facebook is purposley NOT letting me put it up.
weather or not the teacher wants to, that teacher SHOULD have to go through a gun program and have a gun ON them at all times. or at least within reach. this is absurbed to happen. we have all kinds of security at ainports, and most other places...but it is so easy to go into a SCHOOL it makes me sick to my stomach. i know FIRST hand how easy it is. i went to apply for a job at one. ...walked right in where 1-3rd graders were without ANYONE asking me ANYTHING. i expected to meet a deputy as soon as i got out of my truck, strange man no one knew...but nope, nothing. sorry, but i STRONGLY thin we need to, like posted above...OPENLY CARRY. if a thug, or in this case...A COWARD sees that i have a sidearm...he might think twice aobut doing anything.

i read where SWEDEN has the lowest crime rate in the world (i think). mainly because EVERY household has at least 1 firearm. and htey OPENLY carry too i think. this country USED to openly carry...now look at what is happening.....GOD help us all folks.

i am praying for the fmailies who lost loved little ones and the personnel who gave thier lives in this sad event. GODS SPEED. JESUS is welcoming them with open arms. they are TRULY inheaven i know. i morn thier way of getting there, but i am relieved that they are no longer in any pain.
Old 12-14-12, 07:36 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Before we hire a bunch more police to "protect us", let's maybe think about changing our society, and stop coddling children to where they grow up to be selfish, narcissistic sociopaths who go off every time they don't get their way. Oh, and that goes for adults too. People need to learn how to take a setback or two without committing mass murder.

Remember...when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 12-14-12, 07:57 PM   #7
WTL

The only reason I said no to teachers having guns is because they could snap too.

It really is a societal problem more so than a legal one though. Bryce is right about that.
Old 12-14-12, 08:24 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

I don't care if they want to issue a CCW permit to every teacher, or add an armed guard in every classroom but something needs to be done. The biggest fear a parent should have about sending their kids to school is the bad words they learn on the school bus. We should never have to worry about our kids safety in school.
Old 12-14-12, 08:28 PM   #9
nobass

i agree will billy no guns in untrian school staff. too many bad case seniros . police officer in school yes we have them in tn schools now. gun laws will not stop this. i have no idea how to stop crazies from doing tjese acts. other than putting more trained personnel in schools. of all of these this has got to be the worst 5 and 10 year old children
Old 12-14-12, 09:00 PM   #10
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Before we hire a bunch more police to "protect us", let's maybe think about changing our society, and stop coddling children to where they grow up to be selfish, narcissistic sociopaths who go off every time they don't get their way. Oh, and that goes for adults too. People need to learn how to take a setback or two without committing mass murder.

Remember...when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
This...I've been stewing about this all night and I'm about to make myself sick. I've spent my adult life in military law enforcement, both wearing in uniform and as a civilian, training to stop this kind of ****. It's hard. Damn hard when you realize you are pushing the rope up hill because of this ^^^^ attitude. Everyone's a victim. Everyone's a winner. It's somebody else's fault. Forty years of don't spank your kids, you'll damage their psyche and here we are.
Old 12-14-12, 11:27 PM   #11
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
This...I've been stewing about this all night and I'm about to make myself sick. I've spent my adult life in military law enforcement, both wearing in uniform and as a civilian, training to stop this kind of ****. It's hard. Damn hard when you realize you are pushing the rope up hill because of this ^^^^ attitude. Everyone's a victim. Everyone's a winner. It's somebody else's fault. Forty years of don't spank your kids, you'll damage their psyche and here we are.
I agree with you're thinking. If you have staff willing to carry and able to pass a similar psycological test that police officers must pass then I have no problem with them carrying. Say you put a police officer or two in schools to protect the kids, now all a gun man has to do is target them first and he'll have free reign of the school plus some more tools to do harm and a radio to know how responding officers are going to go about trying to stop him. We go through a lot of training in our department on how to deal with active shooter situations but even with all the training a lot of people are still going to get hurt before we can get there and do anything.
Kids have to be taught right from wrong. I was raised in a small community where winners got trophies and losers trained harder so they could be the winners next time and if I did wrong my parents would spank me and if they weren't around my friends parents or my aunts, uncles, grandparents, somebody would do it for them. It didn't damage my psyche or turn me into a sociopath, it made me realize that if I did wrong there are going to be repercussions.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 11:46 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
If I did wrong my parents would spank me and if they weren't around my friends parents or my aunts, uncles, grandparents, somebody would do it for them. It didn't damage my psyche or turn me into a sociopath, it made me realize that if I did wrong there are going to be repercussions.
Amen to that, brother. Jeff Foxworthy expressed it real well-something like

"Time out? My dad took time out of his busy day to blister my backside!"

So did mine. Not very often, but enough that I learned the lesson. I heard someone on the radio say that he should have shot himself first and save all this horror and grief. Couldn't agree more.

Thoughts and prayers to all who have been touched by this tragic act done by a gutless coward.
Old 12-15-12, 12:25 AM   #13
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have organized my thoughts, so here they are...as unsolicited as they may be .

First, thoughts and prayers to the lost, and their friends, and family. Let us not forget the young children that had to experience such evil too early.

I have come to the conclusion that the fundamental question at hand appears to be, why do such heinous crimes seem to be increasing? What in our society so inclines a person to commit such an evil act? How do we fix it? I have my own beliefs, the majority of which focus around the fact that with the advent and advancement of technology, we as people have fooled ourselves into believing that we are both the driver and passengers of our own bus in life and choose to conduct ourselves in any way that we damn well please without concern for our neighbors and follow humans. In so doing, we have lost the ability and skills to initiate, nurture, and maintain long-term relationships where true love, care, and genuine concern can be expressed. Maybe if we would stop texting the person 100 miles away for a moment and focus on the one that is right in front of us, things will approve. Maybe, if we interacted with people the same way on a message board or on Facebook as we would in person, the world would be better. Maybe, if we start calling out the elephant in the room when we see someone physically or emotionally scarred or hurt instead of ignoring it because it is uncomfortable, society would take a step forward. Now, many of you may say I am on a soapbox, and maybe I am. But let me be the first to confess that I am guilty of everything I mentioned above. But, I commit to be better. To be slow to judge, to hate, and quick to be understanding, and caring. Ultimately, to treat people better...to pay attention to people more. I hope that you take a few minutes today to reflect upon what you are and what puzzle piece you are in society and maybe how you can change someone's world for the better.
Old 12-15-12, 06:55 AM   #14
lilmule

It is tragic,but from a sick mind a former mental patient who did not get the weapon legally.Equally sad is government using it as another excuse to control(remove ) handguns.
Agree a ccw person could have possibly done something-difficult as ny state is not a shall issue,and wants now to tighten belt even more.
The state of Tn has a police officer assigned to each school,writes tickets etc,one does not as an adult enter the grounds and just go inside,not at each entrance but 1 at each school.simple metal det at entrance sounding off alarms would have the gunman trampled.
While these were children and to be expected the mindset went all the way up,a single gunman if targets are moving possibly coming at him would have difficult time shooting 27 with two guns ,most likly reloaded somewhere along the way.More or less like shooting cowering sheep,again children but had even the 7 adults charged him at one time ,some would survive and gunman beaten to a pulp.
I am a ccw the one most feared scenario is multiple attackers and if 6 or 7 attacked me even unarmed only 3 or 4 would be shot,even with two pistols.It takes a unique brain to use two tools at same time effectively.More or less a reload on hand.Lastly the accuracy of a 9mm offhand(one hand) isnt that great its an up close and personal thing.
its sad and tragic not only the act by a sick individual but those who will use it NYC mayor,ny gov,obama to attempt to reduce guns.
The tool is not at fault lets ban cars they kill to many people.
Yes its a weapon but one can also make peace an insurance,or better one.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 10:05 AM   #15
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
I have organized my thoughts, so here they are...as unsolicited as they may be .

First, thoughts and prayers to the lost, and their friends, and family. Let us not forget the young children that had to experience such evil too early.

I have come to the conclusion that the fundamental question at hand appears to be, why do such heinous crimes seem to be increasing? What in our society so inclines a person to commit such an evil act? How do we fix it? I have my own beliefs, the majority of which focus around the fact that with the advent and advancement of technology, we as people have fooled ourselves into believing that we are both the driver and passengers of our own bus in life and choose to conduct ourselves in any way that we damn well please without concern for our neighbors and follow humans. In so doing, we have lost the ability and skills to initiate, nurture, and maintain long-term relationships where true love, care, and genuine concern can be expressed. Maybe if we would stop texting the person 100 miles away for a moment and focus on the one that is right in front of us, things will approve. Maybe, if we interacted with people the same way on a message board or on Facebook as we would in person, the world would be better. Maybe, if we start calling out the elephant in the room when we see someone physically or emotionally scarred or hurt instead of ignoring it because it is uncomfortable, society would take a step forward. Now, many of you may say I am on a soapbox, and maybe I am. But let me be the first to confess that I am guilty of everything I mentioned above. But, I commit to be better. To be slow to judge, to hate, and quick to be understanding, and caring. Ultimately, to treat people better...to pay attention to people more. I hope that you take a few minutes today to reflect upon what you are and what puzzle piece you are in society and maybe how you can change someone's world for the better.
These are the things we really need to be looking at? What is happening in our society that is producing so many people who have no value of life or other peoples rights.
1st, we allowed a few vocal crazies to push every tiny reference of God out of our schools. Now the children who don't get exposed to God at home also will not be exposed to his mesage of love at school. You see, it doesn't even matter if or what you believe about god, surely no one in thier right mind should have something against teaching children that they have a reason to be good and to have good morals and love thier neighbors and all that. Science has shown a lot of people that maybe some of what they believed was wrong. Well, maybe God didn't plan for it to be so simple to understand as what was explained in the bible but even true beleivers of science should know what happends when you creat an empty space, something will always fill it. Take god out of peoples lives and something else will fill those voids.
2nd, and I know a lot of you here won't agree with me on this. I think we have a resposibliity to remove violence form childrens lives. If you have been in the the army, in actuall combat, or know some who have, then you know that that level of violence will slowly desensitize you to violence and you can have a hard time transitioning away from that. If that can happen to adults, then what do you think is happening to some, not all, but some of this generation thats growing uo with the most integrated and realistic bloodbath video games and war games we have ever seen. Not only do a lot of kids spens most of thier free time pretending to kill others in a very realistic setting, they then watch all the other high violncethings we call entertainment. I remember when I was a kid, I thought that it was perfectly ok to kill indians or basically anyone that wasn't american. We played games where we pretended to kill indians non americans. I also thought that a lot of other types of hate based on skin color was perfectly normal becuase thats what I was exposed to. It took a long time to completly shed those things that were ingrained at a young age. Children that watch violent video games and violent MMA type fighting will slowly be desensitized to violence and some will view it as completly OK. I'm thankful that my own kids were not exposed to hate based on skin color, they also never played with toy guns and were not alowed to watch violence as sport. My children are far from perfect, but they grew up with compasion for others and I still see that from them today.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 12:10 PM   #16
bassboogieman

I'm not going to write another novel encompassing my thoughts on the issue (and I hope Bob Costas does the same).

I am saddened by the latest, as well as the other tragic, violent attacks against innocent people that have occured in the last few weeks. I'll leave it at that.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-12, 12:54 PM   #17
Tavery5

I can't help but think about what a miserable, lonely, dark place the person who committed this act must have been in. Ask yourself what would have to occur in your life to bring you to think about killing yourself because there was just no other viable option, and go a little further and ask yourself what would need to happen to consider taking the lives of helpless children. I don't know if there has ever been a more true statement than "Misery loves company". I believe that this kid wanted everyone to know just how miserable he was, what he could not express with words, he expressed with action.

I don't know how we can ever begin to console the parents and families of the victims of this senseless crime. My heart goes out to them, nothing would hurt me more than losing one of my children.

In my opinion the immediate and extended family of the shooter failed him, his neighbors, doctors and just about anyone else who had any extended contact with this kid failed him. You can not convince me that a person in this dark of a place did not show signs of needing serious help. While he is to blame for this heinous act, there are others that share the responsibility.

I will never forget this.
Old 12-15-12, 01:19 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I can't help but think about what a miserable, lonely, dark place the person who committed this act must have been in. Ask yourself what would have to occur in your life to bring you to think about killing yourself because there was just no other viable option, and go a little further and ask yourself what would need to happen to consider taking the lives of helpless children. I don't know if there has ever been a more true statement than "Misery loves company". I believe that this kid wanted everyone to know just how miserable he was, what he could not express with words, he expressed with action.

I don't know how we can ever begin to console the parents and families of the victims of this senseless crime. My heart goes out to them, nothing would hurt me more than losing one of my children.

In my opinion the immediate and extended family of the shooter failed him, his neighbors, doctors and just about anyone else who had any extended contact with this kid failed him. You can not convince me that a person in this dark of a place did not show signs of needing serious help. While he is to blame for this heinous act, there are others that share the responsibility.

I will never forget this.
I agree with everything you said Tony. Where was this kids support system? Britney and I talked about this lastnight, I can tell when my friends or someone in my family is having a bad day by how they act, so how in the hell did nobody pick up on this guy having some major problems brewing?
Old 12-15-12, 03:12 PM   #19
Abbeysdad

Especially as a parent, there are no words to describe the shock, confusion and sadness over what happened in Sandy Hook. My heart goes out to the family and community dealing with such a thing.

Who would ever think that an armed wacko would attack a school classroom of little children?

I don't think arming the teachers or gun control is the answer. I also don't know if it's fair to blame this crazy's family or friends. How many times do we hear stories of neighbors and friends telling stories in the wake of a tragedy how 'he seemed like such a nice, regular person...'.

Within the frame of sane thought, there is no way to logically explain insanity. The insane person's perception of reality is totally foreign. I think some come to have no empathy for anyone. Likewise, I fear there is often little defense against someone that's decided to die and take others along with them.

What I find curious is I heard he was wearing a bullet proof vest...and yet took his own life....so why the vest?

I'm sorry I have no answers to offer. I don't know if this happened because he didn't get spanked enough or hugged enough or loved enough. I don't know if he used technology too much or played too many violent video games. I don't know if he was bullied in school, if he ate his vegetables, or fell on his head. All I/we really know is that he did a horrific thing that I hope he spends eternity in HELL for.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.