Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-06, 11:34 AM   #1
TennesseeBassGuides
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Middle TN Lakes and Streams

Old Hickory July 31 & Aug 4-2006
It's been a long time since I have had 2 trips in one week without putting a good fish in the boat...But It's Not Because We Didn't The Have Opportunity!....both days this week we had good fish on but failed to seal the deal...Monday August 31-2006 Daniel and I fished with good friend Jason McCanless and concentrated on water from Cedar Creek to the Dam.....We caught and released 35-40 total with several good keepers but as I said we lost the good fish we had on....Just came unbuttoned! Still a decent day...but it sure hurts loosing good fish in this type of weather knowing that your most likely are only going to have a few opportunities. Jigs and Prowler Chunks...Prowler Lizards and shallow crank baits did the trick. Jason we will do it again soon.......Friday August 4-2006..Today I fished with Mr. Frank Shelley and Mr. Kurt Moberg...Action started out very quickly in the grass and we have several keepers in the boat in no time flat....THEN....I lost a very very heavy fish that blew up at the Prowler Soft Shad www.prowlerlures.com took off for deep water like a freight train and then .....and then....it was just gone.....we managed to catch several other largemouth over the next 2 hours but by 10:00am it was all over. Kurt and Frank it was great fishing with you and I look forward to our Tim's Ford this Fall...Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com

Percy Priest 7-30-2006
All the happy faces tell the story of another successful trip with Captain Don on Percy Priest here in the Nashville area. Roger Ray (Owner/President) All Pro Rod company-daughter Stephanie, Dana Holmes, Bruce and Austin Jameson had a great time battling these hybrid on light line and live bait. I can here the drag singing all the way to Woodbury. Once again it's good to see the young people get involved and to see families participating together. We appreciate Rogers friendship and support that we have enjoyed on a personal level and here at Tennessee Bass Guides through the years and look forward to many more. If your looking for-Striper-Musky-Trout-Walleye-Largemouth-Smallmouth-Spotted Bass-Single Boat Trips-Multi-Boat Trips-Corporate Trips-Birthdays-Family Reunions-We can tailor a trip to meet your specific needs..Gift Certificates available...Give us a call at 615-765-7303 Rick McFerrin owner www.tennesseebassguides.com

Cumberland River Report 7-29-2006
Over the past 2 weeks I have focused my attention on the Cumberland River for summer time Smallmouth action. My first trip was with Wayne Burlison of Mt. Juliet. I fished with Wayne earlier in the year and had a great time as well. We quickly started to an area that always has Smallmouth around it and they were there ready for action. We fished all the way to the dam and managed to put 30 over the rail with a mix of Spots, Smallmouth, Sauger and one big cat fish. It was great to fish with Wayne again and I'm looking forward to our next trip.....I also fished the Cumberland with Chris Morris and his nephew Mike from Columbia Ten. The water temperature had dropped to 76.3 degrees but the action was fast and furious from the start. Everywhere we went we caught fish. By 10:00am the fish had moved into deeper water so we adjusted and was back in them all the way until we left. We caught multiple Smallmouth-Spots and Catfish. Chris and Mike are great fishermen and adapted quickly to the changes in the river. Until Next time Lip'm and Let'm loose...Shay Doming www.tennesseebassguides.com
Old Hickory 7-28-2006
I could almost cut and paste the post from 7-21-2006 below with just a few changes. Jack Goldsmith and I fished the upper end of Old Hickory today and didn't have any trouble catching fish or catching multiple keeper fish...our problem was "No Big Fish". Best 5 weighed in at the 10-11lb range......No anchor fish today........Deep Crank Baits and a 1/4 ounce white spinner bait in the grass did the damage....Don't you just love July and August?....Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguidwes.com
Old Hickory 7-25-2006
Today I fished with the father and son team of Ken and Trey Allen from Whitehouse. Ken and Trey fish some tournaments on Old Hickory and wanted to see as much new water down lake as possible. So our game plan was to fish some of the closer stuff first and then cover as much territory as possible down lake. Right at daylight we hit a grass bed that has produced some fish for me lately. We picked up a good solid keeper fish right of the bat and hung another big fish that we lost in the grass. If I had it to do over again we wouldn't have left these fish as quickly as we did.....error on my part! I should have held in there for another 30 minutes or so I believe we could have hooked up with another good fish, but I got in a hurry to cover new water. During the remainder of the day we caught and released 25-30 or more Smallmouth, Largemouth and Spots with our largest fish running the size you see in the two pictures above. The Grass fish came on a Prowler Soft Shad www.prowlerlures.com and a 1/2 ounce White Secret Weapon Spinner Bait www.secretweaponlures.com 90% of the fish we caught down lake was on a jig in deeper water. Back on Old Hickory Friday...I'll update you then.....Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com

Streams & Pond 7-21-2006
STREAMS: The last 5 days we have had some great wading trips. Saturday morning early was slow with the thunderstorms running us off the water for more than an hour. After the storms passed over we still managed to catch a few Smallmouth and Rock Bass before quitting at 2:00pm. The gentleman with the stream smallie is Mr. Terry Kien. Terry had come in from Montana to shoot in the National Silhouette Championships in Pennsylvania and stopped back here in Tennessee to visit family. Congrats to Terry for placing in the top 10 in all his competitions in his division. Terry is holding the largest Smallmouth he caught in a short 2 1/2 hour trip. I don't want to sound like a broken record but the Case Jacks Worm in June Bug and Blue Flake and creek minnows have been the go to baits for Smallmouth and the Case Hellgrammites for Rock Bass. You can find these great products at Murfreesboro Outdoors 2204 N.W. Broad in Murfreesboro Afternoons are the ticket right now for the best action, but streams will give up fish all day long even in the hottest part of the day. If you would like to wade and learn how awesome streams can be without the hustle and bustle of our lakes give me a shout. POND ACTION: Saturday afternoon and for a half day on Sunday we fished a private lake for Bluegill, Shell crakers and Largemouth. Jimmy had not fished for big gills and shall crackers before but had cut his teeth on the streams and Dale Hollow Smallmouth. We had 150 plus gills and shellcrakers and 35 to 40 largemouth bass (all caught on a Case Buzzin Frog) from 12 to 19 inches. Crappie Magnets www.lelandlures.com were the ticket in the private lake. Our other TBGI Guides report big gills are being taken in 15 to 25 feet of water on steep points, bluffs and bridge columns. Best baits in the lakes for big gills have been night crawlers, crappie magnets and Case Hellgrammites. Our TBGI team is very versatile and with the addition of Chris Nischan you can learn to fly fish for big blue gills and shell crackers as big or bigger than these. Get out with the kids and enjoy some great action. Mike Dial Stream Smallmouth Guide www.tennesseebassguides.com
TennesseeBassGuides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 02:14 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice! Great pics, and great sounding trips!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.