Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-11, 08:23 PM   #1
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Fish size compared to water depth

I fished the beginning of the month with several friends of mine at lake Amistad (Del Rio TX). The group that I fished with was mainly catching fish in the 8-15 foot range. The largest of the fish caught in this group was 2 1/2 lbs. at the most. We were all TX rigging 7 inch worms or lizards. Water temp was 57-59 degrees.

The other group was fishing the same sort of rigs/baits in 20-25 foot of water and caught about half as many fish as we did but they also caught 3 of the bigger fish (several 3 lbrs and a 5 1/2 lb.).

My question is geared towards this scenario. What would be the relation (if any) to fish size and the water depth? Is there anything scientific to this? If so, is it particular to the time of year (pre/post spawn)?

I've done a little research and found just as many huge bass (12 + lbs) caught in 3-4 foot of water as I have in 40 + foot of water. Just curious what some of ya'lls experience/opinions are on this. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Bass Assault; 02-28-11 at 09:31 PM.
Bass Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 08:30 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think that it has a lot to do with pre/post spawn but some fish like to hang out in different types of cover/area. Guys up here on Lake St. Clair can put you on 2-3lb smallies all day long, however they won't give up the "spots" that hold the 5-6lb class fish.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 01:13 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The answer to your question. Yes, and no.

Depending on the season, or particular day, bigger fish are deeper, or shallower. One thing that that you'll see little kids, and in inexperienced anglers doing is casting their bobbers out as deep as they can get them thinking that they'll catch bigger fish.

It all really depends on where the bait is, or the easiest food source is. A lot of times you'll catch a bunch of bass on a top water when they schooling on the bait fish but if you use a rattle bait, and get below the school, that's often where some bigger fish will be waiting for injured bait fish to drift down, making them easier targets for the bigger bass. Granted this is not always the case, but it can be.

At the same time, bass could be in the shallows on a hot summer day eating heavily on frogs. You can catch lots of big bass in 10" of water. That same time, you can drop back and fish in 10 feet of water and may not catch anything. Why? The waters deeper, so shouldn't there be bigger bass there? No, that's not where the food is.

We'll take a look at another scenario. You could be catching bass in that same 10" of water, but non that are to big. So you move off to that same 10 feet of water, and start catching loads of big bass on jigs. Why? Well it must be that bigger bass like deep that. That's not the case. Perhaps, molting crawdads are in that deep water. So since crawdads are heavy in protein and easier to get then the frogs in shallow water, the bigger bass are in the deeper water where the food was better, an easier too eat.
Old 03-01-11, 01:24 PM   #4
walkeraviator

This time of year i believe it has to do with moving for teh spawn. At least in my experience, the smaller males (bank runners) move up first. Bigger fish move up last. Some will argue that biger fish move up and spawn first them pull out, but i am not so sure. At KY lake when teh water is in the Mid 50's you will catch a load of 14.9" fish (15" legal limit) in the 5-7 foot range. If you just tie on a deeper runnin crank and slow roll it down in 10' plus of water... you will fins less numbers but better quality. Want a trophy? Offshore humps with stumps in about 12-15 feet of water with a shakey head or a jerk bait.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 09:05 PM   #5
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for your comments fellas. It sounds like there are just a whole lotta variables that are in play and a lot could contribute to the size/numbers of fish.

I hope to go back within the next few weeks before it gets really hot. I plan on trying to fish some larger jigs and/or fishing drop shot rigs both in deeper water. If I get this accomplished I'll try to post some results (photos) or atleast a lil report on what came of it.

Thanks again!
Old 03-02-11, 01:59 PM   #6
Raul

There is no exact relation between depth vs size of the fish, so you canīt go out thinking: "if I fish deeper I will get bigger fish", about half of my 10+ lbs ( let alone smalle fish ) fish were caught in less than 15 ft of water. There is a big bunch of variables and there is no true answer and certainty to a certain point, for me this time of the year is big momma time.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 09:56 PM   #7
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

Made it back down there for the weekend. I tried fishing 20-25 ft. for a little while with a jig and craw (1/2 oz) with no luck. I tried to fish a drop shot rig but the wind was pretty bad and was frustrating me in the casting game... So I reverted to what I would consider my bread and butter and what I've fished since I was a kid..TX rigging.

Finally success! However, I also had to get back into the 8-15 ft. range. I caught plenty of fish. One thing I noticed as a side note: it seemed that the larger fish were caught in shallower water (61 degrees and appeared to be preparing beds). I caught a bunch on a motor oil and red fleck power worm (7 in.) but they were just average fish. I then switched to a watermelon red YUM Saleemander and began catching some 3-4 lb. fish. They definetly hit the lizard bates like they were angry at them compared to just the worm. Anyway...FYI. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 03-09-11, 02:31 PM   #8
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Assault View Post
I caught a bunch on a motor oil and red fleck power worm (7 in.) but they were just average fish. I then switched to a watermelon red YUM Saleemander and began catching some 3-4 lb. fish. They definetly hit the lizard bates like they were angry at them compared to just the worm. Anyway...FYI. Thanks for the replies guys.
Thatīs called discrimnation by bait size, the old say big baits = bigger fish is to a certain point true, but itīs no because bigger baits attract bigger fish, itīs because bigger baits discriminate and cull the smaller fish, smaller fish canīt mouth a bigger/bulkier bait as well as a bigger fish ( ergo ---> bigger mouth ) do.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.