Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-05, 01:20 AM   #1
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I will be appreciated if somebody guide me in catching Bass with this information!

Yesterday i went to Rideau canal(canada,ottawa) in the afternoon. i was there for 2hrs but i could not catch any Bass.The water that i fish is about 4 feet and it is weedy. The only baite i use is grub(white,pink,pumpkin) however non of them sounds to work for me.Actuelly i wanted to buy spinnerbaite and crankbaite but i am not sure about them because i am worried that they both might get stuck through the grasses and weeds under the water.hence i nevermined them.
Would you please give me some of the best and most effective tips and tackles to become a successful angler.
thanks very much.
tomgfgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 10:04 AM   #2
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm living in Kingston Ontario. I fished on small lakes connected by Rideau Canal a lot. I went to Lower Brewer Lock, and fished from bank last weekend. I caught 14 LM from 1/2 lb( ) to 2.2lb, and 2 pike( 5lb).

Yeah, it is a bit hard to catch bass there right now! However, with right approach and right fishing spot, patience and confidence(too many guys gaive up too fast, one more cast you might catch the fish), you can catch bass there for sure!

I'm not sure about how much you know fishing tackle and setup, so my suggestion might be too basic for you. Any way, here is my solution:

Go to Canadian Tire to find these stuff I list here: (Walmart's price is cheaper, but you wouldn't find the right stuff you need!)

Lure:
3/8 oz spinnerbait. color: white or white&chart. Brand: whatever.
White color spinnerbait works very well on Rideau Canal system. 3/8 oz is good for bank cast. And spinnerbait is kinda weedless.

Bait:

WAVE WORMS: 5" tiki Dip-Stick. color: green pumpkin/chart tip. For me this one works extremely well by weightless wacky rigged. You can even find how to rig the tiki worm on the back of the package.

Yum dinger: same stuff and approach as wave worms. Try to find some 4" with different color tip. Black Neon / Silver Tip works well.

Hook:

Extemely important for wacky rigged worm. try to find some short shank with wide gap hook. If you can't find Gamakatsu hooks, you definitely can find these kind Mustad hooks in Canadian Tire. such as this one:

LINE: 8-12lb mono line will be fine. However, I recommend to use some braid line such as Spiderwire Stealth, smooth cast and sensitive feeling.

Approach:

Start with spinnerbait, if no bass hits it (it's quite possible right now , however you have a great opportunity to catch pike ), then try weightless wacky rig tiki worms or yum dinger. And be patient, if you assume bass is there, they will hit your tiki worm sooner or later. Don't set your hook too fast too hard. A reel sethook is good enough!

If the weed keeps bothering you, then try weightless texas rig. but for me, wacky rig always brings the best result.

Go there and try again. Any luck or no, just let me know.

BTW, could you tell me exactly where you go to fish? i mean which lock?

Enjoy your fishing.

H2O

Last edited by H2O; 09-20-05 at 11:50 AM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 11:14 PM   #3
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Hello buddy,i thank you for the useful tips that you offered me.I want to try them this weekend.I mostly go to Rideau canal or Rideau river.I have seen a number of Basses there but shame that i did not have any chance to pull them out.Anyway,there both are good places for fishing.The only problem is the water which is grassy and weedy in most of the parts.
What about you?where do you go for fishing?once i tended to drive to kingston but i did not know where to go exactly for fishing in there.I will be glade to know if there is a specail place for fishing.
Buy now.
If you want you can send me email at:tomgfgd@gmail.com
Actuelly it is my pleasure to have an experimental friend like you.
I forgot to ask your name??
Old 09-21-05, 11:30 PM   #4
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgfgd
Hello buddy,i thank you for the useful tips that you offered me.I want to try them this weekend.I mostly go to Rideau canal or Rideau river.I have seen a number of Basses there but shame that i did not have any chance to pull them out.Anyway,there both are good places for fishing.The only problem is the water which is grassy and weedy in most of the parts.
What about you?where do you go for fishing?once i tended to drive to kingston but i did not know where to go exactly for fishing in there.I will be glade to know if there is a specail place for fishing.
Buy now.
If you want you can send me email at:tomgfgd@gmail.com
Actuelly it is my pleasure to have an experimental friend like you.
I forgot to ask your name??
I fish around Kingston 100KM crazy this summer. you know there are a lot of small lakes connected by Rideau Canal. But general speaking, fishing there really need a boat. I didn't fish from bank a lot. But last weekend I went to Lower Brewer Lock on Rideau Canal. it's about 25KM away Kingston. However, I don't think you need go as far as that. There should be some locks near Ottawa part.
Any way, You can go along High way 15 and check. I heard people said that Jones Fall has some great spots for bank fishing. And Ottawa river is great for fishing catfish too.

Make another try this weekend. Lets see what will be going on!

Good luck
Old 09-22-05, 05:41 PM   #5
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

what is your idea about these colores for wave warm:watermelon red flake-watermelon chart tip-red shade-
Please tell me which one is the best??
Old 09-22-05, 08:58 PM   #6
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
what is your idea about these colores for wave warm:watermelon red flake-watermelon chart tip-red shade-
get those colors,they are great,but now for my side of the story.
instead of wacky-rigging texas rig wheightless,very good technique and unlike the wacky worm it is completely weedless if rigged right.i fish it just like a soft jerkbait but except twitching it once(sink,twitch)i use three or 4 twitches(sink,twitch,twitch twitch).oh i almost forgot,watch your line!35 percent of my strikes come from the it just falling.dont be scared to let it fall to long,they will hold on to it for a long time as long as the point of the hook is not out.

kevin
Old 09-22-05, 10:07 PM   #7
H2O

Quote:

This is the best one if you fish on Rideau Canal system. Canasdian Tire should carry this color, also you can buy Yum dinger as well. Yum has same color partten. If it is an extreme sunny day, start with Yum dinger, (dark green). Since, you fish from bank, buy 5" one, easy to cast(weightless wacky rigged). cast it beside weeds(on the edge). Don't throw it into weeds. Try to find some hole or dropoff, great chance to catch bass there right now.

Have a great fishing weekend.
Old 09-22-05, 05:49 PM   #8
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I would get all three colors. All of them catch lots of bass for me and others will agree.........
Old 09-22-05, 06:42 PM   #9
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:

They are all great colors buy a pack of each
Theres not really a best color though but i prefer the red shad as my go to bait
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 05:21 PM   #10
Dyas

Tiki is a senko knock off. You fish them the same way. I am a tiki man lol and I think big fish just like it says on the bag :
Old 09-24-05, 05:36 PM   #11
454ss

tiki...senko...other stick baits.....all the same for me
Old 09-24-05, 05:47 PM   #12
Dyas

All fished the same way..........
Old 09-24-05, 05:54 PM   #13
454ss

All catch fish the same who cares about price im gone buy it if it works so if i want expensive senkos im gone buy em lol if i want tikis ill get them too that way i have a variety of brands and not just colors just my 2cents
Old 09-24-05, 06:03 PM   #14
Dyas

Actualy Tikis are a lot more durable than Senkos. You will get your moneys worth if you pay the extra buck for tikis as opposed to Kinamis or Gary Yamamoto brand senkos
Old 09-24-05, 06:39 PM   #15
KH.

yup.......
Old 09-24-05, 07:47 PM   #16
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dyas for a punk 14 yr old kid that kinda makes sense.. ya need to get a day jb and stop typing all that ..

zooker
Old 09-25-05, 12:32 AM   #17
H2O

Hey, Tomgfgd

Did you go fishing today? How's going?

Any way, I went to Lower Brewer Lock (same place I've done Forum Tournament) again this afternoon.

I feel a bit shame on talking to you so much about how effectively that spinnerbait and wacky tiki worm on Rideau Canal.

I've tried different colors, different sizes and different approaches spinnerbaits. all didn't work at all this afternoon. I caught couples LM on a kind dropoff structure by using wacky worm, but it's kinda slow in my opinion, cuz I was pretty sure that if there were reasonable bass in that spot, I should catch more. I mean I believed that the bass was not quite there. I found only after one week, most weed is dead. I started to figure out that bass might go to the open water area to look for their autumn food to gain their fat to face tough Canadian winter.

I looked around the whole dock, and didn't find any minnow, however, I did find a lot of small sunfish about 2"-3" in the water just under the boat lock! Since I saw some pretty huge boats went through there and get into the noat lock, so I thought it should be pretty deep without weed there. Great for crankbait.

Extreme sunny day, and water is fairly clear, I selected Cotton Cordell® Grappler Shad with bright yellow and cast it right on the water just under the lock's door with steady retieve.

First cast, nothing. On second casting, I landed an about 2'6" pike. Since it was very deep there, the pike really had a lot space to fight, so it's kind exciting. After about 10 minutes pan casting, I casted the crankbait at the same spot. When I just started to crank to lure, I saw small sunfish was trying to fly away from that area, in a second I felt very solid strike. I set the hook, and the fish started to fight vertically instead side run away. I was controlling my rod not to let her jump out.( the rod angle is quite different from on boat.) Then I land this 3.75lb chanky SM.

18.75" by 16" 3.75lb

I thought it was a pretty decent Small mouth on Rideau Canal, such a small river. what do you think? ( I hope I caught her last week! ) I hope I can catch her again somehow.

One thing I want to mention you is that I lost two crankbait there, cuz when the lures stuck or hung on the bottom, it really hard to save them from bank. Any way, any body has idea how to release them?

H2O

Last edited by H2O; 09-25-05 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-25-05, 10:27 PM   #18
KH.

walmart is already lowering thier stuff on fishin,te closest tackle shop is a hour away so i go to walmart or ocassionally get some from ebay
Old 09-25-05, 10:29 PM   #19
454ss

hey Kh your sig is awesome lol
Old 09-25-05, 11:57 PM   #20
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

I went fishing on Sunday and i used spinnerbait,crankbaite(Topwater popper),grub,warm.non of them worked. Although the weather was kind of cold and rainy however basses were all so active and they had come to the shallow.I could easily see how they wiggled in the water.It was incredible they did not bit my hook.
What do you think??
Old 09-28-05, 09:25 AM   #21
Bigmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Default tom

I reccomend Big Rideau Lake if its not to far for you, It is rated as one of the top bass fishing lakes/rivers in Canada. I caught a 6#'r and a 5 1/2#'r there a few years back(worked for the MNR, got paid to fish all day everyday). Just work around the weed beds with tubes, spinnerbaits,crankbaits etc.. or throw out a frog and twitch it through them(weeds). Worked great for me!!
Bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 09:00 AM   #22
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac
I reccomend Big Rideau Lake if its not to far for you, It is rated as one of the top bass fishing lakes/rivers in Canada. I caught a 6#'r and a 5 1/2#'r there a few years back(worked for the MNR, got paid to fish all day everyday). Just work around the weed beds with tubes, spinnerbaits,crankbaits etc.. or throw out a frog and twitch it through them(weeds). Worked great for me!!
Where is the lake, any way?

I think you need a boat to fish there. right? thanks.
Old 09-30-05, 08:09 AM   #23
Bigmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes, you need a boat to get to the best spots. The route I took to get there was through the little town of Westport. I put the boat in at a little conservation area there.
Bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 05:50 PM   #24
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454ss
hey Kh your sig is awesome lol
how else did they get here????lol
Old 09-26-05, 04:56 AM   #25
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hmmmm needs garlic i think..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.