Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-07, 02:16 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Once, But Not Twice

Hi again, got a quik question. I have a pond behind our local high school that gets a lot of fishing pressure from shore anglers. It has a lot of surface scum and slop, so scum frogs and poppers are the #1 producer for me and my buddies. Lately though, bass want T-Rigs, no topwater, not even in the EARLY morning or evening!!! How can we get these bass back up to bite again? I think they may have identified these baits and seen them too much to bite, may this be true?

Also, there are large bass in this pond, 3-5+ pounders, but me and my buddies can't seem to snag any. Any tips?

Thanks -LL-
Old 07-06-07, 12:22 PM   #2
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hook a live frog in the leg, sorta' T-rig it , cast and see. Remember frogs die easy so make one good cast and wait.
Old 07-06-07, 12:37 PM   #3
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Pond fish are easily effected by fishing pressure, you say you used to slam them on topwaters... well now the fish arent going to hit topwaters often, why would they? every time they do they get hooked haha... i mean fish dont have that good of memory, but when it happens CONSTANTLY they begin to turn off to that kinda fishing... pressure kills a lot of good fishing in ponds. If you really want the topwater action go with patricks advice and use live frogs... but to me bass fishing is bass fishing no matter whether i catch them topwater or on the bottom, i'd switch to tikis and fish the bottom for awhile, then go back and give top water a try. But if you have another pond, or just in general, dont 'overuse' a fishing method, you'll find yourself in the same position. fish a little topwater, fish some cranks, fish your plastics, keep it varied up... that way the fish wont 'turn off' to anything.
Old 07-06-07, 06:19 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Thks for the ideas, I never really tried a real frog.Must have very good action though. Yes, I do use my selection ,except cranks, mostly rubber worms(powerbaits,senkos,gulp), chatterbaits, jointed rapalas. I'll have to try this, it sounds very tempting, for a bass.

Any other ideas on haulin' in some larger bass? I'm thinkin larger lures.

Thks for the other info though.

-LL-
Old 07-06-07, 06:48 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Go out there in the evening or even at night and try a big black jitterbug... see what happens. You can also use it during the day... you may eb at a disadvantage because of the pressure, and the fact topwaters arent working, but hey what can it hurt? but pretty much a bass will hit whatever comes within range and interests it, so i mean you can throw out huge lures, and you MAY catch a huge bass... or you can throw out what you regularly use, and you'll catch some 'small' bass but you can also catch a lunker... what im trying to say is it honestly doesnt matter the size, a bass is gunna hit it if you present it right and that bass is in the area... bigger lures will usually keep smaller bass away, but not always, and your regular size lures will catch any size of bass. So dont always think bigger lure = bigger bass... think bigger lure = the potential for bigger bass with the idea that the smaller ones wont hit it as often. All in all keep throwing what you use, if you fish it where there is a huge bass, you'll most likely get the strike, regaurdless the size of the lure. Hope you understand what i'm trying to say haha, i know what i'm trying to say but sometimes typing it out can sound like a big mess.
Old 07-06-07, 07:33 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If your looking for topwater action, I have an idea. This is not really a top water lure, however it can be used as one in lilly pad, and other floating vedgitation and slop. Try a weedless spoon with a pork frog trailer or similar trailer. A black Johnson Spoon with a black pork frog is a good combo for this. It can be cast out and retireved across the layers of weeds easily. And when you reel the lure into an open pocket of water, you can then let it drop into the pocket and swim it out again. This lure will allow you to work the surface layer of weeds, and still give the fish a totally different look and action from what they are accustomed to seeing. And when you do get a strike, pause a second to make sure your lure is in the basses mouth before setting the hook.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 10:11 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Thats funny, BF02, I just bought a Jitterbug today, bluegill pattern, yellow on bottom, red on front, and blue and black on top. This may work, Jitterbugs have a whole different action.

Also, KDog, weedles spoons may work very well. It can start on top and work through the thermocline on down. Very well at covering the water, never thought of that.

Thks Again

-LL-
Old 07-07-07, 06:46 AM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Thats funny, BF02, I just bought a Jitterbug today, bluegill pattern, yellow on bottom, red on front, and blue and black on top. This may work, Jitterbugs have a whole different action.

Also, KDog, weedles spoons may work very well. It can start on top and work through the thermocline on down. Very well at covering the water, never thought of that.

Thks Again

-LL-
I believe "Scum and Slop" were mentioned as a salient feature of this particular body of water. If, indeed, that be the case, then a Jitterbug (or any other exposed-multi-hook contraption,) will not go far before it becomes mired and enmeshed, thus rendering it useless.
So far as LIVE frogs as bait are concerned...well, I don't like sticking hooks in living things that can't be released, alive and well, post-use. We are BASS FISHERMEN, after all, and should rely on guile and skill with artificial lures in order to remain "pure"...as for "chaste", that's quite another matter.
I second the nomination of Senko-type lures, weedless spoons, and perhaps artificial frog/toad lures, however, and believe they will prevail.
In closing, might I suggest that the Moon's phases are affecting your topwater bite? Any time you have a moonlit night the bass are likely to feed then more heavily than at other times. Ergo, by the time you lob your offering into the arena they may all be napping or kicked back in recliners, flossing their teeth, and laughing at the antics of bass fisherman desperately flogging the H20.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.