Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-11, 02:56 PM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Soft Bait Storage

I know I have seen some guys on here that use hard plano boxes to store their soft baits, and just had a few questions. I currently keep my soft baits in their original packaging in a Plano Speed Bag. But I am about to buy a used tackle bag that comes with 10 3700 boxes. I was wondering if it will mess up any of the plastics to take them out of the packaging and organize them into a few of the Plano boxes...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 03:10 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I prefer to keep them in the original or a ziplock bag to help keep them from drying out. i tossed a few out last week due to them drying out since I forgot them just sitting there in my plano outside of a bag.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 04:56 PM   #3
3dkicker

One thing to keep in mind is how individual compartments in the boxes are aligned. Vertical compartments work well for plastic if the boxes are put in the bag vertically. If they aren't then gravity will bunch them up in the bottom of the compartments and that makes a mess.
Will it damage the plastics??? No. If they dry out then put a spray or drop of oil or one of the many scents in with the plastic and mix it around.
Old 02-04-11, 04:57 PM   #4
CamG

IMHO, pulling plastics out of their original bags is a mistake. You lose all the good "juices".

I keep all my plastics separated into groups i.e., tubes, grubs, worms, drop shot, shakey head, creatures, etc., etc. and put each group in a 2 gallon freezer bag. The freezer bags go in and out of my boat as needed.

If you have just a tackle box and no boat, you can carry a small duffle bag with the freezer bags full of plastics.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 05:39 PM   #5
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If I were you, I would keep them in the speed bags. If you go the box route, i will buy the speed bags from you.........
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 08:07 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I know I have seen some guys on here that use hard plano boxes to store their soft baits, and just had a few questions. I currently keep my soft baits in their original packaging in a Plano Speed Bag. But I am about to buy a used tackle bag that comes with 10 3700 boxes. I was wondering if it will mess up any of the plastics to take them out of the packaging and organize them into a few of the Plano boxes...
Last year I did exactly what your planning to do. I got so tired of digging thought my stored plastics looking for the one bait I wanted. I too had them sorted out, like all lizards in their original bags, and then all in a one gallon ziplock bag. But I still had so many one gallon bags stuffed into a duffle bag and it was a pain for me to dig through. So I got a large tackle bag sold by Cabelas and it holds a bunch of 3700 plastic boxes and 2 or 3 3600 boxes. For me it easier to open the tackle bag and see the 2700 box that is labeled lizards, pull it out, open it up and see all of them at once. So far I havn't noticed any problems with them drying out or loosing their like new appearence. It's still an experiment for me but I liked it last year.
Old 02-05-11, 01:23 AM   #7
Embrey

never had much luck with plastics in boxes. like the bags much better
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:25 AM   #8
MIbasser

Here is what mine looks like. I use bags for beavers, brush hogs, & senko's. Then I use the Plano 3731 for other plastics.

MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 10:39 AM   #9
Bender

I like your idea MI, and your selection of baits! I did something pretty similar last year by trying to separate all mine by type and putting them into plastic tubs that I got at the dollar store. They don't stack up as nicely as those Plano boxes do but they were cheap. The only problem is that they take up too much room.

For the stuff that I use most often I have them in their original bags tossed into freezer ziplock bags that are kept in a big BPS boat bag on the floor of the boat.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 12:51 PM   #10
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Something like how MIbasser is a perfect system to use. That's how I do mine and it keeps things real organized and easy to find IMO.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 07:17 PM   #11
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I keep mine in the original bags-takes up less space. I do keep them in binders but do not use the rings-I just stuff them in the binder loose. The ones I use have a clear plastic window on the outside that I can label what is in them. I use a different binder for the different baits-worms, lizards, creatures, Senkos, etc.
Old 02-06-11, 07:56 PM   #12
cassidyta

I am one of the guys who takes them out of the bags and puts them in plano boxes. It makes it easier for me to find things when I need them. As long as I don't leave them exposed to the sun then I don't have any issues with it. I have been doing it for a couple of years and it has worked okay.
If you do this, you will find that you run out of space quickly. I find that in most cases I can double up the colors in a compartment if I put two distinctly different colors in the same space. Example, Mixing Aaron's magic with Morning Dawn.
Old 02-06-11, 10:10 PM   #13
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

MI, that looks amazing, i've got random bags of stuff stuck in every spot i can fit it in!!!
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 03:58 PM   #14
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
IMHO, pulling plastics out of their original bags is a mistake. You lose all the good "juices".

I keep all my plastics separated into groups i.e., tubes, grubs, worms, drop shot, shakey head, creatures, etc., etc. and put each group in a 2 gallon freezer bag. The freezer bags go in and out of my boat as needed.

If you have just a tackle box and no boat, you can carry a small duffle bag with the freezer bags full of plastics.
I do the same thing.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.