Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-12, 12:07 AM   #1
Stephen Fatherree
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How to add new legs to topwater frogs?

I am looking for the best way to replace the skirt material on my hollow body frogs legs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Stephen Fatherree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 12:37 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

HEEEEYYYYYY now here is an INTERESTING question. this should be great to learn gang. anyone know how?
Old 01-15-12, 03:25 AM   #3
kpbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok its easy, take your favorite color jig skirting about six inches long roughly twelve strands, tie a basic knot in the middle. Pop the weight on the frog comes out easy try not to rip the rubber around it. Take out the old skirting. Now take a paperclip stretch it out long and put a bend at one end. Push the paperclip hook in one leg grab your new skirting with the paperclip hook and pull it through. Do the same on the other leg side. Pull the legs on both sides so knot is in the middle. Now with a bit of supper glue put the weight back in place let dry. And there you have it. Cut legs even to your liking.
kpbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 08:55 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default uh

The average spinnerbait ,jig skirt isnt quite long enough,I cut my own.
And use a wire tad thicker than a paper clip.A very small darning needle works quite well,as has a notch in it to grab it with.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 11:43 AM   #5
bamabassman

i know this sounds silly, but could ya'll post up some pictures? step by step? thanks!
Old 01-15-12, 02:23 PM   #6
lilmule

Default shucks

Dont have pics,and my small darning needle got ate(chewed up beyond use) by my critters, dogs.
But its simple if using a wire make bend so its u shaped,and close together at the end,grasp the frog insert in one leg and bend other leg out until its even run the wire thru it as well then insert shirt into bend part (like a bobby pin on the end) or even tape.Kind of like electrical fishtape,then pull thru till out other side .One has to have enough stands it touches and isnt real easy to pull thru other wise might move some,and not so tight one can still pull.
Take an empty frog shell and bend both legs forward at one point they are in a straight line almost,then you will see what I mean.Thus with any means of going thru both and retrieving skirt can be used be it wire or more solid.
Does take some experimentation on how many strands and depends somewhat upon strand material I like more than 12,and am using living rubber as it comes in long lengths,not as durable but easily replaced each season.
Ok went and took a pic to explain it better

then flip over can see from one side to the other,if you have removed previous skirt like this one

Then insert rod or wire that one can grip skirt with and pull thru,tie a knot in the center so wont come out easily that is the hardest par t getting the knot inside without losing grip on the skirt just takes practice.Basically a 1/4 in tube that gives when lined up.
I use living rubber as long and had it on hand suspect other skirt material can be had say at netcraft etc.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-15-12 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 03:46 PM   #7
bamabassman

Thnaks muley!!!!
Old 01-15-12, 04:52 PM   #8
lilmule

Default frogs

Like spro will be entirely open and do need a knot to keep from coming thru other side when a bass grabs just the legs,a bobies and others are half closed up in the center and just need to load it with strands of skirt material no knot needed.
Puller can be any fine yet stiff wire with the end bent back along with what runs forward creating a bobby pin end
Clean out old shirt material if a small amount stays inside no problem,if one takes the time a worm type rattle can be placed inside,prior to restringing legs.
Most inventions come out of necessity.
Frog mfg expect you to buy new frogs almost yearly at ten bucks a pop.
No current tool made-ie mine is patent pending lol
Old 01-15-12, 08:48 PM   #9
Stephen Fatherree
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone. Do you think it would be ok to take the shortcut and just attach the skirt material to each hook instead of having to remove the belly weight, then thread the new legs into the frog body?
Stephen Fatherree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 09:36 PM   #10
lilmule

Default uh

No not as durable,and closer together not same action,who said anything about removing any belly weight(generally molded in),and not all frogs have them .Its a leg to leg operation thru one out the other.
Old 01-15-12, 10:30 PM   #11
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

Pull your old skirt out.
Take the new skirt and straighten it out and lay it on a piece of paper.
Roll the paper around the skirt tightly.
Insert the paper through the holes in your frog.
Pull the paper out from around the skirt and hold the skirt to keep it in place.
Pull out strands correctly and adjust.
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 10:52 PM   #12
kpbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Culprit,

Great idea of doing that I bet a hard plastic bendable tube would be the ticket, Much like making a jig skirt. Maybe a model fuel line?
Old 01-15-12, 11:03 PM   #13
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

This article just got me thinking, and I realized that I had an old scum frog without a skirt. Just did this five minutes ago... I used a straw and cut it down lengthwise. I pulled each side apart and inserted the skirt into the middle of the straw. I inserted it and pulled the straw out. It worked better than my previous paper tecnique.
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 11:13 PM   #14
kpbass
BassFishin.Com Member

culprit,

very cool guess im going to have to pull those old frogs out from last year and try it..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.