Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-07, 01:33 AM   #1
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz
Default Engine Flooded w/ Gas!?!?!?

Hey everyone, went out to the lake today for about the 10th time this year and had a little problem with my engine flooding with fuel. I have a 1999 25hp Mercury 2-stroke engine. Here is what happened. I started the engine right up at the ramp and let it warm up a couple minutes. After that, drove down the lake for about 10 minutes, not at full throttle, but close. Shut the engine down, dumped in a fish attractor and tried to start the engine again but no luck! The engine turned over, but I instantly picked up a strong fuel scent to see a little bit of a gas slick near the engine. I tried starting it for about 2 minutes with the key while choking the engine and still no luck. Tried pull starting it for another minute or so, and nothing. So I fished for about 30 minutes toward the ramp, and started the engine right up again. Drove back to the ramp to pick up another fish attractor, shut the engine down, and had the same problem starting the engine again. Let it sit for a while again and it started right up. This is the first time in the 9 years of this engine's existence that it has had any problems. Has anyone had a similar experience with a 2-cycle engine??? Can anyone give me advice on what the problem might be and how to fix this problem???? Thanks in advance for the help everyone!
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:13 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hmmmmm..........First thing I would check is the fuel line especially the tank vents and the primer bulb. If you notice the primer bulb looking like it is squezzed shut you found it. In the bulb is a check ball that if its not operating propperly will cause it to not let the fuel flow properly. You stated you saw a fuel slick behind the boat. Another sign of fuel problems and that points to a carb not working properly. First thing to do is get you some Seafoam and go ahead and do a shock treatment. I am guessing you have a 6gal. tank. It really doesnt matter but give it a REAL good dose of Seafoam and run her. After that change the plugs. It actually sounds like a float and/or a needle and seat are sticking. After sitting awhile enough of the fuel seeps out of the engine alllowing it to start. Dont be afraid to use the whole can at once of the seafoam. I promise you that it will NOT hurt the engine but actually help it. It completley cleans the fuel system and Decarbs the system, removes all carbon from the internals in the engine.
Old 03-04-07, 09:00 AM   #3
HOG Ranger

It sounds like a dirty carb to me and I agree with Laser, dump some Seafoam in the gas and let it do its thing. Seafoam can perform miracles!

The vent first came to mind but if you are dumping gas it sounds like a sticking carb.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 10:36 PM   #4
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Thanks fellers. I went out today and put in a bottle of the STP carbeurator and fuel injector cleaner and it only had it's problem once early on and once later in the day. But I'll pick some of that stuff up as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again!
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.