Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-10, 11:37 PM   #26
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't use flouro a lot having gone through a bunch of dollars experimenting with different ones. Seaguar InvisX was the best I found though and I usually have one reel spooled with it. I have found though that using a flouro leader with braid can be useful especially in very clear water situations or when fishing in an area where abrasion resistance is a great concern (sharp rocks, zebra mussels etc).
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 08:31 AM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim4081 View Post
I don't use flouro a lot having gone through a bunch of dollars experimenting with different ones. Seaguar InvisX was the best I found though and I usually have one reel spooled with it. I have found though that using a flouro leader with braid can be useful especially in very clear water situations or when fishing in an area where abrasion resistance is a great concern (sharp rocks, zebra mussels etc).
Actually a harder FC line will be much more abrasion resistant than braid and be able to stand up much better to shark rocks and zebra muscles.

Stren's 100% FC has been one of the most abrasion resistant FCs I've tried, although you pay for it in the fact that it's pretty stiff and has a lot of memory.

BB
Old 12-25-10, 11:08 PM   #28
HoldEmHook!!
BassFishin.Com Member

with the lines mentioned above a person cant go wrong......IMO confidence is the most important thing. If a person is confident in thier set up rod, reel, lure and line they will catch more fish than throwing something they dont have the same trust in. I use the Seagars and P-line for different situations, its what i believe in. Tight lines and heavy nets to all........unless you are fishing against me lol....
HoldEmHook!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 02:05 AM   #29
Garry2rs

One quick point about the TT fluoro test.
It is several years old and many of the line mentioned in this post have been developed since those results were printed.

Having said that, I have to agree with those who think Fluoro is over rated. How come Berkley never mentioned that if I used it with my UL Crappie outfit it would sink and take the mini bobber with it???...GRIN.

We are all victims of lies and exaggerations in advertising. Remember when the big line companies didn't make braid?
Why that stuff will cut the guides right off your rod!!!
Isn't it strange how we never hear that now that all the big-guys have braid in their line up.

Then you have the must have fads...ten bearing reels, 7X1 gear ratio's, Split grips and the big one...Species Specific Rods.

It's all just fluff and hoopla.

Kids were catching bass and trout on garden worms with butcher's string for line, tied to a willow switch or a tomato stake, 75 years ago.
I hope somewhere out there they are still doing it today.

The rest of us have been seduced, by Madison Avenue, into believing we need ten or twenty different shapes of plastic creatures on $500.00 worth of space-age material to do the same thing.

Okay, maybe you need all that stuff because the bass on your waters have a higher grade point average than most high school seniors, but I doubt it...HAHAHA
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 11:42 AM   #30
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Having said that, I have to agree with those who think Fluoro is over rated. How come Berkley never mentioned that if I used it with my UL Crappie outfit it would sink and take the mini bobber with it???...GRIN.
I'm sure the researchers at Berkley had this exact conversation, "This line is great, it sinks!"

"But what if Garry uses it on his UL Crappie outfit? It will sink his mini bobber!"

"Well I didn't think of that. Well I guess we need to scrap this line, huh?"

"Or we could test it with every bobber on the market and list which ones it sinks right on the package."

"Great idea, let's do that!"

Of course they didn't, that would be ridiculous. And you'd think that you'd have enough common sense to realize if the line sinks, you may need to use a bigger bobber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs
We are all victims of lies and exaggerations in advertising. Remember when the big line companies didn't make braid?
Why that stuff will cut the guides right off your rod!!!
Isn't it strange how we never hear that now that all the big-guys have braid in their line up.

Then you have the must have fads...ten bearing reels, 7X1 gear ratio's, Split grips and the big one...Species Specific Rods.

It's all just fluff and hoopla.
It seems you have an unjustified problem with new things. Perhaps you're stuck in the past to give these a chance, or maybe just too close minded to consider them as viable option.

Would you feel the same way if split grips had been the norm for years and then people started making full grips?

What about gear ratios? what if 7:1 was the norm for year and now they started making an advertising a 6:1 gear ratio?

It seems to be like you don't have specific issues with any of these "fads" you mentioned, but more so an issue with advancements in technology and design.

I've come to realize, from experience, that trying to have a logical discussion with you is pointless because you're too closed minded to consider anyone's opinions but your own, but I felt I needed to post this anyways for others who are more open minded to new ideas.

So please, Garry, stop ruining perfectly good threads.

BB
Old 01-13-11, 03:19 AM   #31
Brwnbass
BassFishin.Com Member

P-line floro is great stuff for jigs, t-rig worms shaky heads & drop shots. I use mono [ bps ] for cranking & topwater. No use for braid where im at. I have recently started using Sunline super mono. Its clear & has a smaller diameter than regular mono, it looks like floro, but handles like mono [ is limp & has stretch ]. I love it so far, as it has caught me a bunch of nice smallies this winter, so far. And to Garry: if you dont think florocarbon works as advertised, id be more than happy to give you a demo.
Old 01-13-11, 06:23 PM   #32
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwnbass View Post
P-line floro is great stuff for jigs, t-rig worms shaky heads & drop shots. I use mono [ bps ] for cranking & topwater. No use for braid where im at. I have recently started using Sunline super mono. Its clear & has a smaller diameter than regular mono, it looks like floro, but handles like mono [ is limp & has stretch ]. I love it so far, as it has caught me a bunch of nice smallies this winter, so far. And to Garry: if you dont think florocarbon works as advertised, id be more than happy to give you a demo.

I am curious why you prefer mono for cranking over fluorocarbon. Lots of people are just the opposite, they prefer the fluoro because of its higher density, which causes it to sink, thus helping get your CB a little deeper. I am interested in your opinion.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 07:16 PM   #33
BigBassin144

Obviously, I'm not brwnbass, but I don't use FC for cranking because when I fish shallow cranks, I don't want them, to dive deeper. I'll use 12-15lb mono for that. Now that I've got a rod specifically for deep cranks, I may try some Seaguar InvisX in 10lb.

BB
Old 01-18-11, 02:44 PM   #34
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJakeC View Post
I use the Vicious fluorcarbon in 15lb test for flipping and pitching jigs and T-rigs in medium to light cover and haven't had a problem. This line is super strong. It is slightly stiffer than most fluorocarbons, but it is nothing KVD L&L can't handle. I have also used it for dragging jigs and T-rigs and it will cast and handle great.
I actually had my best experience with 15lb Vicious Fluorocarbon. I tried that Segar red label at first and it drove me crazy. But I think that was because I had it on a cheap reel that fights with mono too. So I might actually spool up some more vicious on my next reel or give the Trilene 100% a try.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.