Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-06, 11:22 AM   #1
JamesJR
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Skeeter On Fire

I Fished A Split Tourney, Morning And Night, It Ended At 200am I Noticed That My Batteries Were About To Die, So I Weighed In Early, After The Weigh In My Motor Would Not Start, Someone Tried To Jump My Motor, It Wouldnt Get Enough Juice, So I Charged My Battery At The Marina For A While, My Motor Soon Fired Up, I Began To Jet Across The Lake To Another Marina Where I Had Launched Earlier. All Of Sudden My Engine Died And I Began To Smell Smoke, I Turned Around And Fire Was Shooting Out From My Engine, I Put The Fire Out And Called For Help, At The Ramp I Tried To Figure Out What Caught On Fire, It Looked Like My Rectifier Had A Hole Dead In The Center. The Fire Did Not Do Too Much Damage, The Engine Turns Over, So I Believe The Stator Is Still In Good Shape, Why Would My Rectifier Burn Up? I Want To Know If This Is Something I Can Fix Without Paying Too Much,
JamesJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 06:22 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

eww can it be done? yes.. cheaply?? not a chance.. you have to replace just about every wire in the engine..hopefully it did not warp the fly wheel..

zooker
Old 04-14-06, 06:25 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJR
I Fished A Split Tourney, Morning And Night, It Ended At 200am I Noticed That My Batteries Were About To Die, So I Weighed In Early, After The Weigh In My Motor Would Not Start, Someone Tried To Jump My Motor, It Wouldnt Get Enough Juice, So I Charged My Battery At The Marina For A While, My Motor Soon Fired Up, I Began To Jet Across The Lake To Another Marina Where I Had Launched Earlier. All Of Sudden My Engine Died And I Began To Smell Smoke, I Turned Around And Fire Was Shooting Out From My Engine, I Put The Fire Out And Called For Help, At The Ramp I Tried To Figure Out What Caught On Fire, It Looked Like My Rectifier Had A Hole Dead In The Center. The Fire Did Not Do Too Much Damage, The Engine Turns Over, So I Believe The Stator Is Still In Good Shape, Why Would My Rectifier Burn Up? I Want To Know If This Is Something I Can Fix Without Paying Too Much,
James JR man I always hate to hear about this type of failure or happening cause there aint no way to say it but it aint cheap buddy. The reason for the hole is...picture this if you can. The ignition system on outboards is one of the hottest meaning high amp ignition sytems that man has. Therefore if there is a flaw or if a part of the ignition system starts to fail alot of the times the amperage goes astronomical. The type of plastic they use in ignition systems is designed to hold in high amperage but when the amperage does not flow smoothly through the stem it has to have an escape. One or several parts will fail. Stator,rectifier,and coil packs all willl do this. Let me know what year and model of your particular engine is and I will get you a price list. I personally would replace the ionternal engine harness of course and the stator,rectifier, and coil packs. Off the top off my head your looking 3-400 for the fix. Dont quote me on this. Alot of times I can find a blown motor someone is scraping and salvage the needed parts for less. Let me know if I can help ya. By the way as zook stated check that flywheel while you have it off. The magnets are epoxied on and the flywheel may have warped. Give us a holler ifn we can help ya.
Old 04-14-06, 06:29 AM   #4
FlyRod

I've heard that excessive use of capital letters on a computer will cause a rectifier to flame up. If the boat is parked/garaged within 50 feet of the computer, the rectifier "collects" the capital signal emitted from the monitor. These signals slowly accumulate until they morph into an entirely different signal, resulting in ignition in the rectifier.
I'd recommend you park the boat at least seventy-five feet from the computer and maybe consider using caps only where your First Grade teacher suggested.
I hope this helps...

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 06:31 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

After some more thought if you got or can get some close up pics of the seperate parts ie..stator,rectifier, and coil packs there are certain things you need to look for. You may get away with a rectifier and engine harness but thats the least. You really cant afford to chance bad electrical or compromissed pieces. They will leave ya stranded.
Old 04-15-06, 09:54 PM   #6
bass kicker

that sucks hope you get it fixed soon
Old 04-15-06, 10:25 PM   #7
JB

Talking

I've heard that excessive use of capital letters on a computer will cause a rectifier to flame up. If the boat is parked/garaged within 50 feet of the computer, the rectifier "collects" the capital signal emitted from the monitor. These signals slowly accumulate until they morph into an entirely different signal, resulting in ignition in the rectifier.
I'd recommend you park the boat at least seventy-five feet from the computer and maybe consider using caps only where your First Grade teacher suggested.

Surely this would be so presumptuous as to be ridiculous. You don't get to declare that your name "doesn't get" abbreviated, any more than you can declare that your name can't appear in blue ink, or on yellow paper, or in a sans-serif typeface. Having a name doesn't entitle you to control all aspects of writings that mention your name; in particular, you don't get to control aspects of design or typography. You don't get to control the typeface or the font size, you don't get to control where your name appears in a sentence, you don't get to say that your name can't be abbreviated, and you don't get to say that your name can't be capitalized.

Fly, nice analogy, please allow me to comment and expand,when all other names are capitalized, a lowercase name is jarring to the eye. Maybe it's largely my inner typesetter or copy editor speaking, but I think "jane doe" stands out just as glaringly as "JANE DOE" does. In the online world, writing in all caps is often regarded as the equivalent of shouting. Continuing the analogy, a lone lowercase name among capitalized names is the equivalent of someone holding an enormous sign that reads "I'M A WHISPERER!" Lowercasing your name is more than just typographically ugly attention-seeking, though. It also effectively amounts to proclaiming that your name is no ordinary name, but instead has extra properties that spill over into the surrounding language. Words and names don't get to do that. Your name's not a magic name. Let's consider the following example of an English sentence: "Blueberry muffins were on sale at Buy-Low yesterday; they tasted better than the blueberry muffins from Safeway." If you and I were having a conversation, and I asked you how often the word "blueberry" appears in that sentence, you would say it appears twice. Whether it's capitalized or not, it's the same word. Webster's doesn't have one entry for "blueberry" and another for "Blueberry". And those books that tell you the history and meaning of various names don't have one entry for "jane" and another for "Jane" and another for "JANE". Capitalization isn't "part" of a word or name.

fly, hope that helps

Last edited by JB; 04-15-06 at 10:32 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 02:32 AM   #8
FlyRod

Talking Errrrr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB

Surely this would be so presumptuous as to be ridiculous. You don't get to declare that your name "doesn't get" abbreviated, any more than you can declare that your name can't appear in blue ink, or on yellow paper, or in a sans-serif typeface. Having a name doesn't entitle you to control all aspects of writings that mention your name; in particular, you don't get to control aspects of design or typography. You don't get to control the typeface or the font size, you don't get to control where your name appears in a sentence, you don't get to say that your name can't be abbreviated, and you don't get to say that your name can't be capitalized.

Fly, nice analogy, please allow me to comment and expand,when all other names are capitalized, a lowercase name is jarring to the eye. Maybe it's largely my inner typesetter or copy editor speaking, but I think "jane doe" stands out just as glaringly as "JANE DOE" does. In the online world, writing in all caps is often regarded as the equivalent of shouting. Continuing the analogy, a lone lowercase name among capitalized names is the equivalent of someone holding an enormous sign that reads "I'M A WHISPERER!" Lowercasing your name is more than just typographically ugly attention-seeking, though. It also effectively amounts to proclaiming that your name is no ordinary name, but instead has extra properties that spill over into the surrounding language. Words and names don't get to do that. Your name's not a magic name. Let's consider the following example of an English sentence: "Blueberry muffins were on sale at Buy-Low yesterday; they tasted better than the blueberry muffins from Safeway." If you and I were having a conversation, and I asked you how often the word "blueberry" appears in that sentence, you would say it appears twice. Whether it's capitalized or not, it's the same word. Webster's doesn't have one entry for "blueberry" and another for "Blueberry". And those books that tell you the history and meaning of various names don't have one entry for "jane" and another for "Jane" and another for "JANE". Capitalization isn't "part" of a word or name.

fly, hope that helps
Huh? Wotdiddysay?

FR
Old 04-16-06, 10:37 AM   #9
zooker

eww he's got ya there jb..

zooker
Old 04-16-06, 12:15 PM   #10
JB

z,
you know long posts like that are total bs to begin with lol.....good thing kevin doesn't have a rant/blog feature on this site
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 12:18 PM   #11
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod
Huh? Wotdiddysay?

FR
i think boff of you shuld git beyound yuor basic elementaries of reedin, ritten, and typpen and reed dis here book, you nevur git tu olde tu lurn tha finner skills of dikshun. http://dickshunairy.blogspot.com/
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 06:12 PM   #12
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpMan
i think boff of you shuld git beyound yuor basic elementaries of reedin, ritten, and typpen and reed dis here book, you nevur git tu olde tu lurn tha finner skills of dikshun. http://dickshunairy.blogspot.com/
yEztrday i kooNt Eben spel "INGlitch lankWidge" nd naOw i SpiK it gud!

flighwrAHD
cHARMun, inGlush dEpt.
tEXiz tEk U.
Sumwar in ThIs &^%!$~! sAND
TtU KAmpuss, lookin acrosT the fUtball feald:http://www.rootsweb.com/~txfisher/ga.../sandstorm.jpg

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-16-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 08:16 PM   #13
zooker

lmao...

beatin at your own game carppy

zooker
Old 04-16-06, 08:40 PM   #14
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
lmao...

beatin at your own game carppy

zooker
yup e ded.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.