Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-12, 08:32 PM   #1
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Soron Changed to Orra

I have been in the market for a new spinning reel. I tend to like Abu Garcia reels and bought a Soron STX20 last year. I like it. Now I am getting ready for this Spring and I see they replaced the Soron line with the Orra name.
My question is what is the difference between these two? Is this like the new car models used to be where they just had to change something? Also, would anybody know if there is much difference between these newer reels and the Cardinal 500 series?
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 01:25 PM   #2
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

I bet I have set a record for starting a thread and getting no reply for four days. What is the record maybe I can beat it?
Old 02-28-12, 01:45 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just so you have a reply, I don't know.
Old 02-28-12, 03:29 PM   #4
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank You Tavery
Old 02-28-12, 05:26 PM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think I have gone longer. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your inquiry which is why I didn't respond but 4 days is a long time to wait. Did you try looking up the specs of each reel and do a side by side comparison? I bet a simple google search would dig up what you need.

I think many folks use more Pfluegers, Daiwas and Shimanos here at this forums and hence the lack of responses.

Anyway, welcome and greetings from the Pacific Northwest. This really is a great site.

Last edited by islandbass; 02-28-12 at 05:39 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 07:28 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sorry, I did not see this post until today. To answer your question, yes, there is a huge difference. This is not at all like a small upgrade to a car with a new model. Quite the opposite, this is very similar to what Shimano did with the citica, curado and chronarch, it's a major downgrade. At least they didn't keep the same name on a reel with less features though. The soron was one of the strongest reels on the market. It's aircraft grade aluminum rotor and bail arms were the best on the market. You could have used the auto bail close feature with a soron and the reel would not get sloppy in one season with worn rotor to bail pivot points. The soron was built like a tank but the weight was still reasonable. I guess it just didn't sell well enough? The cardinal ALB reels were also very good spinning reels that were almost as good as the soron. Those are also gone from the new lineup and replaced with lighter reels made of carbon and graphite. I'm all for lightweight reels, but I still prefer a spinning reel thats built strong enough to last. I suggest that you look for leftover sorons or cardinal ALB reels on Ebay or with other dealer that still have them in stock.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 08:32 PM   #7
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank You very much Pro Reel. Very good info. I have had a Soron stx20 and I just added an ALBi in 503 size for $46 dollars delivered from Tackle Warehouse. One thing I noticed about the 503 ALBi is how large the bail is. If it was any bigger It would hit my knuckles.
I have searched the internet extensively and could not find the info you just gave me. Again Thank You. Saved me from making a mistake.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.