Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-06, 09:19 AM   #1
silversvt26
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Primer bulb question

I just purchased a Mercury primer bulb kit. Which had the hosing, quick disconnect, and primer bulb. I removed the old set and installed the new set. The problem I am having is I cannot get any fuel into the bulb let alone up to the engine? I spent 10minutes squeezing the bulb. I made sure the fittings were tight and that the arrow was going towards the motor. I have never done this before so I assume I am doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
silversvt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 06:59 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

take a nail stick it in your moter plug in connection. -there is a round steel ball in there-pump the bulb. you probly have a air lock. when the gas shoots out the connection hook it up and pump the bulb till it gets pretty hard..

zooker
Old 05-23-06, 10:52 PM   #3
silversvt26
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 05-24-06, 03:07 AM   #4
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Also, you might have the bulb connected in the wrong direction. Try reversing the connection, I bet that's the problem.
Old 05-24-06, 06:50 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
take a nail stick it in your moter plug in connection. -there is a round steel ball in there-pump the bulb. you probly have a air lock. when the gas shoots out the connection hook it up and pump the bulb till it gets pretty hard..

zooker
Good Ole Southern ingenuity WORKS.
Old 05-29-06, 09:25 PM   #6
silversvt26
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker

zooker
Thanks for the help, worked like a charm. Now I need to take the next step and get the engine serviced I guess. Idles real rough and dies occasionally. I replaced spark plugs and changed the primer bulb out. Checked breether from gas tank to make sure it was clear. I did notice that when I took the engine cover off, below the 3-carb setup, it has some fuel/oil there. Maby carbs need rebuilding?
Old 05-29-06, 09:30 PM   #7
zooker

hmm maybe a gasket is broke causing the leak. never heard of a triple carb spitting back. -not saying it won't just never heard of it.. a tune up would be a good idea. have them check eveything inculding the timing and the carb syinc-they all should be opening at the same time..

zooker
Old 05-29-06, 10:34 PM   #8
Rebbasser

I'm guessing this is an older motor. Before you take it in try running a can of Seafoam through the gas tank. It will clean all the crud out. If you want to take it a step further, the folks that make Seafoam also make some stuff called Deep Creep The night before you run it pull the plugs, spray the deep creep in the cylinders and let it soak overnight. I may be harder to start and willl smoke like crazy, but it will clean the carbon out and may save you from having to take it in.
Old 05-30-06, 02:19 AM   #9
silversvt26
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure on the carbs, I just know that when I look under the carb on the bottom I notice it was wet and had a few drops of what looked like the gas/oil mixture but more towards the oil consistancy but I can't tell where it is coming from. I added some kind of quicksilver marine engine conditioner to the fuel last week that was supposed to help but I'm not sure how well it works. I was quoted from one shop around 300 to rebuild all 3 carbs and the other shop something to do with there was some kind of other part that went with each carb and they would need to be replaced as well so It would be around 450. Not sure what he was talking about. Anyway that would be just in case I need the rebuild.
Old 05-30-06, 05:29 AM   #10
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok I am assuming the 150 on the glastron is giving you the problem. Before going any farther with a marine shop I would run a can of Seafoam through it along with a good dose of Deep Crank, Both are available at one of your local auto stores. The Seafoam does a EXCELLANT job cleaning the carbs,piston top and ring lands,reeds and fuel system. The Deep Crank if you can find it. is the spray type that starts the cleaning process for ya while still on the trailer. Before you start this get you a fresh set of plugs ready. Do not put them in till your done running the Deep Crank and Seafoam. I would be willing to be you wont need a carb rebuild after doing this. Just a good ole tighening up on the carbs,bowels and the fuel enrichment valve and your fuel lines. Trust me or ask others bout Seafoam.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.