Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-07, 06:39 AM   #1
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default has anyone here used the bps extreme 7.1 reel?

just wondering if they are as sturdy and smooth as the old 05 or 06 models
Old 04-01-07, 12:00 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah flame job.. they work about the same only have bigger-faster gears-

zooker
Old 04-01-07, 12:11 PM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up

Flamez,

Yes. I purchased one on sale, 44.88 +TTL, a few weeks ago in order to see of I liked a 7:1 retrieve for certain applications. I did (the reel seems decent enough, though I'm accustomed to somewhat higher-end wenches...errr...wInches.)
Having determined that I did, indeed, see some benefit from the higher speed, I ordered a REVO SC (only Cabela's has that model) and have been pleased with it so far.
I will continue to use the Extreme as well.
My uses for that retrieve ratio are: Spinnerbait (unless slowrollling), Buzzbait, Toad, Ratl"Trap or Rattlin' Rap (also Hot Spot).
The higher speed will make it easier to get the Buzzbait and Toad "Up and going" over shallow cover and keep them there with minimal effort.
I'd recommend you try one, especially if your local BPS still has a few of the 7:1s with 5 bearings on a closeout price (they've gone to 7 bearings this year, but I doubt you'll notice a difference.)
By the way, I throw my Buzzbaits and Toads on braid, which really helps get 'em scooting.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:24 PM   #4
flamez

I'm probably gonna use it for frogs aswell. I've been really getting screwed on the water with big fish burning me into the boat and completely screwing me over. (my 2 extremes are 5.2.1 but still work fine usually) I'll probably use the new 7.1 reel for well just about anything spinnerbaits,plastics,toads,xraps the whole shibang

i saw the revo sc and thats also on my radar should i just go with that over the extreme? Hopefully the revos are made just aswell as abu's round reels. Does the SC you got seem to have any back play?
Old 04-09-07, 08:27 PM   #5
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the rick clunn series 7.1 and let me tell you my diawa's do not even compare. I have only fished soft plastics with it and it works great and when I had one burn strait to the boat I was able to catch up with him and get him inside. I orig. bought it for spinnerbaits but now I am using it strictly for my soft plastics
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:25 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Flamez, when Flyrod got his he picked up one for me as well. Great reel for lipless crankbaits.
Old 04-10-07, 06:38 AM   #7
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez View Post
I'm probably gonna use it for frogs aswell. I've been really getting screwed on the water with big fish burning me into the boat and completely screwing me over. (my 2 extremes are 5.2.1 but still work fine usually) I'll probably use the new 7.1 reel for well just about anything spinnerbaits,plastics,toads,xraps the whole shibang

i saw the revo sc and thats also on my radar should i just go with that over the extreme? Hopefully the revos are made just aswell as abu's round reels. Does the SC you got seem to have any back play?
Flamez,

So far as backplay in the SC, little or none. From the first time you pick it up, you'll love the reel. Once you get the cast control adjusted (as with any reel) you'll be delighted. Nice red color too, so you can find it when you need to get a cast off quickly, when the situation suddenly calls for whatever you've got tied on it.
After years of Shimano Curados, it was a leap of faith to invest in the SC, especially after ABU-Garcia had come up with so many duds over the past few years. I feel I made an excellent choice with the SC.
I'm still using lots of Curado 200BSFs, 100Bs (with wiffle conversion) and my beloved Chronarch50MG reels, but I have the utmost confidence in the REVO SC. Only time will tell, of course.
Try it. The price is right and I believe the reel to be well-conceived, designed, and built...so far.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:21 AM   #8
flamez

so many good reels it can drive a person insane no doubt every time i think ive made up my mind i switch over to something else =/ well i guess i could just settle for the bps extreme and if im not happy trade in for the rick clunn? but i really doubt im not gonna be happy with the extreme unless i get a dud reel
Old 04-12-07, 03:15 PM   #9
flfireman

Got two of them now. Love them, lipless cranks, frogs, spinner/buzz baits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.