Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-10, 08:18 PM   #1
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Spinner reel suggestions

I have a limited budget, $50 or less.
The rod will be my (new) primary bass gear and used with a 7' M or MH rod, and usually copoly line (I love the Pline CX). I already have one setup with braid that I will keep around for heavier vegetation areas.

Suggestions on spinning reels only, no spincast or BC reels, please.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 08:45 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You could probably find a Shimano Symetre FI for about $50 these days. I'd put my money on one. If not, then the Shimano Spinning reel at that price point. I think that would be the Sonora or Sedona but I could be mistaken.
Old 02-20-10, 03:23 AM   #3
screwballl

Well I ordered it. I spent the last few hours looking over reviews for various spinning reels from various companies for various prices. One name kept coming up again and again: Pflueger. Due to how long the company has been around and the quality of their products, I went for it.

I ordered the rod/reel combo from BPS for $60. The reel is the one piece 7' Medium (or was it MH, I need to check again). My accountant (aka wife) also approved increased expenditure funds so I picked up a spool of Pline CX 12lb and a basic $25 rod/reel 6'6" combo with a small 1000 spinning rod to replace one of my 30 year old reels that recently broke and old faded 1980s rod. That one got good reviews too for panfish and catfish, the reel is the BPS Stampede. Order total just a touch over $100 after S&H.
Old 02-20-10, 03:49 AM   #4
islandbass

Congrats. I have a Pflueger Trion, but it's a casting reel. I have no bad things to say about mine.
Old 02-20-10, 11:29 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well that was pretty quick. Anyways, I was gonna recommend the Pflueger President.

Pflueger makes a good spinning reel, I'm sure you'll like it.

BB
Old 02-20-10, 01:10 PM   #6
Rebbasser

I'm with IB on this one-for the $ the Symetre is hard to beat, although I think it is out of your price range.

BPS has some good buys starting next week during their Spring Fishing Classic.
Old 02-22-10, 02:59 PM   #7
islandbass

You know, someone edited my post! It didn't have the links in them when I made the original post and now those reels have links. I hope a mod did this and I wouldn't mind, but it won't sit well with me if someone can edit my posts! Could a moderator look into this? Thanks!
Old 02-22-10, 06:08 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
You know, someone edited my post! It didn't have the links in them when I made the original post and now those reels have links. I hope a mod did this and I wouldn't mind, but it won't sit well with me if someone can edit my posts! Could a moderator look into this? Thanks!
IB, It is Kevin adding the links.

Here's what he said about it in another thread about adding the links. He also said he won't do it to your posts if you don't want him to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
...Linking a product name is occasionally done to provide forum visitors an opportunity to see photos of the "not-so-familiar" lures people talk about.

As in this particular case, an MS Slammer is a lure many people are unfamiliar with, and by linking it to a page that offers photos/description of the lure, it gives visitors an option to learn about tackle that is being discussed so they can participate and contribute more easily. At least, that was our thoughts... I hope it's been a nice feature for some...

Kind Regards,

Kevin
BB
Old 02-22-10, 08:00 PM   #9
islandbass

Thanks, BB. I don't mind if they do, because they're authorized to do so. I'd actually like to know how to do that. I'd do it myself if I knew how. Thanks, Kevin!
Old 02-22-10, 10:08 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks, BB. I don't mind if they do, because they're authorized to do so. I'd actually like to know how to do that. I'd do it myself if I knew how. Thanks, Kevin!
Then you type in the word(s) you want, highlight them.

Ao, "This Thread"

Then click the hyperlink button in the text box toolbar. It's the one that looks like the globe with three chain links . Then type or paste the address you want in there and click ok.

Again but with the actual link, "This Thread"

BB
Old 02-23-10, 03:19 AM   #11
islandbass

Woh. It's that easy, huh? Thanks, BB

Here's a stab at it. Click at your own risk. Bait Monkey attack potential - HIGH
Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 02-23-10, 12:43 PM   #12
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If we were spending $100- $150 I would recommend investing in a Shimano too.
But at $50.00 or less, I think that I could get more for my money with a BPS or Cabela's house brand reel.
The problem with these private label reels is there are no parts.
However a $50 reel might be considered disposable because it wouldn't be worth fixing anyway.
In their annual catalog Cabela's is showing their Pro Guide spinning reel for $49.99...

This is what the text says...
These reels feature a 10-bearing system for smooth casts and a one-way instant anti-reverse clutch for solid hooksets. The main spool is aluminum, while the body is a hybrid of metal and graphite for lightweight strength. Anti-twist, titanium-coated line roller. Convertible aluminum fold-down handle.

I think this is a better way to spend $50.00.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 01:19 PM   #13
screwballl

Yeah I read through reviews for hours and when I saw the Pflueger Trion normally for $40 and had better reviews and ratings and quality than the Cabelas/BPS brands, I couldn't say no... plus with a 7 ft Med action 1 piece rod which is what I was going to get anyways, the combo is $60... so I get a quality reel and a decent rod for less than many reels themselves without sacrificing quality...

and I know everyone has their preferences, I had to balance the cost with the best quality available at this level

Last edited by screwballl; 02-23-10 at 02:34 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.