Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-11, 07:34 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default pregnant in nov?

Contrary to my normal MO I will sometimes clean a few fish for supper. Caught this little fattie 11/3/11 and found this.(water temp at the time was 61) LMB have a huge instinct for survival. When I was a kid I often wondered how I was seeing 3"-4" bass in feb-mar.
Old 12-22-11, 08:09 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Pretty sure they keep there eggs all year, and they don't start maturing till later in the spawn. Could be wrong though, that's just what I've heard.

I know for a fact though that SMB pick a mate before the spawn, and if you kill that
"mate" before the spawn, the eggs wont be fertilized. Learned that from a study that In-Fisherman did in the Canadian Sheild lakes. Not sure if largemouth are the same way though.
Old 12-22-11, 08:23 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Pretty sure they keep there eggs all year, and they don't start maturing till later in the spawn. Could be wrong though, that's just what I've heard.

I know for a fact though that SMB pick a mate before the spawn, and if you kill that
"mate" before the spawn, the eggs wont be fertilized. Learned that from a study that In-Fisherman did in the Canadian Sheild lakes. Not sure if largemouth are the same way though.
I guess anythings possible but I have cleaned enough bass over the years to make me think it's unlikely? As far as female LMB I know for a fact that they are sleep-around sluts.........period
Old 12-22-11, 09:01 PM   #4
WTL

I once heard that bass can spawn in fall. I reported what I heard online, and someone kinda took me to task for it - they seemed pretty sure, and I dont know one way or another.

There is no rule saying that this certain bass didn't have some sorta reproductive disorder.
Old 12-22-11, 09:09 PM   #5
Bassboss

You could try emailing you local DNR, with the pic and everything. They could probably provide better info then any of us.
Old 12-22-11, 09:17 PM   #6
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bassboss has it right. Largemouth bass eggs form and grow throughout the summer following spawn and then mature and are laid when the water reaches the appropriate tempature the following spring. I've seen the same thing in crappie during the fall with them having egg sacs.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 10:20 PM   #7
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

I too have recently filleted some fish, mostly crappie, and have found eggs. It is unusual, i dont see them until the spring most of the time
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 10:52 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

I am not a fisheries biologist by any means and any evidence that I have that bass will in fact pull off a successful fall spawn is purely circumstantial. Circumstance #1 I've gutted enough post spawn fish sizable enough to be undeniably female with no sign of roe to question the theory that they carry around immature roe all the time.
Circumstance #2 And in my opinion as close to "proof" as it gets. Every year I see and sometimes catch numerous LMB that are so small (3"-4"-5"...) during pre-spawn-spawn-post spawn that there is absolutely no way possible and simply no other rational explanation than that those fish are 3-4-5 months old. (I live in the south and fish some very fertile BOW's...growth rates down here can sometimes push 1lb a year). If a fall spawn doesn't happen then those little 4" bass I'm seeing are unexplainable. They are almost a year old but managed to survive but not grow?
Old 12-22-11, 10:59 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

This little feller caught in April says it all for me. If this fish is a year old I will kiss Vegasspiders bare a$$ in front of the local Burger King at high noon on any day he chooses and give a week to draw a crowd.
Old 12-23-11, 09:36 AM   #10
lilmule

Actually not far off,yet in many southern locales multiple spawning does occur,fla and texas having as many as three,so not unusual to me for sc to have two if the season is right for it.
Even much farther north a false spawn occurs with development of immature eggs at times.
Ive even had gar lose eggs on the boat deck long after all others have spawned and left in sept.one born late wouldnt grow as fast and would be way to short for a year old bass.And have observed what appeared to be shad doing a second spawn at this lat.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 05:13 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post

This little feller caught in April says it all for me. If this fish is a year old I will kiss Vegasspiders bare a$$ in front of the local Burger King at high noon on any day he chooses and give a week to draw a crowd.
If the whoppers are on the house, consider me penciled in hahahahaha. We clean a lot of fish and seen a couple of cases where eggs are present at weird times in the year. That or maybe we are just catching mostly males?
Old 12-24-11, 05:19 PM   #12
bamabassman

kenneth....DAT BE A WALL HANGER FOR ME MAN. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 12-27-11, 09:42 AM   #13
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Cook that roe sack up?!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 01:14 PM   #14
nofearengineer

We forget that while what we see in nature seems like it's always been that way, nature is always changing things up, looking for a better way to do it.

I have no doubt whatsoever that some fish try to spawn at different times of the year. Evolution is not an intelligent phenomenon. It's a genetic crapshoot, and when something finds a new unexploited niche, a new species or behavior pops up.

I am with KDS on the age of his trophy bass there. There is no way that bass is a year old and no way it grew to 4 inches in 4 weeks either.
Old 12-27-11, 03:35 PM   #15
kennethdaysale

Dwarfism would surely be a death sentence in any genetic gamble for LMB............I'm convinced the little bass that hit that #5 Rapala wasn't attempting to eat.....more likely some kind of perverted sexual overture.
Old 12-27-11, 03:38 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Cook that roe sack up?!
Not this time...dropped um in a pot of cheese grits instead....yum!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.