Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-07, 08:32 AM   #26
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've lost way too many to count, but I lost a lipless crankbait and a chatterbait yesterday.
Old 03-19-07, 08:39 AM   #27
Recon8541

I have lost way to many to count as well. One of my fav things to do is "bang" rattle traps off logs, it works good, but you do lose a few now and then. I use power pro line, so most of the time I can just follow the line in and retrieve...but occasionally.."snap"!
Old 03-19-07, 11:44 AM   #28
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This "issue" of losing lures can be evaluated from the "half empty - half full" analysis:

Half empty: You lost yet another lure and must go buy a new one.

Half full: You lost another lure and must go buy a new one. Now you a reason to go the store and get fishing gear. Just don't forget to replace the lost lure, while you are loading the shopping cart with all kinds of other stuff.

On a side note, if you have a lure that consistently works, you might want to pick up some extras. I know I have several "dupes" in my box. I just can't stand the thought of getting hung up and not having the lure in my arsenal for the rest of the day.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 03:42 PM   #29
ihateforwards

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards

Ok thanks!
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 03:57 PM   #30
flbassman

Shoot. I've been seriously fishing for about three years now, and I've already lost a ridiculous amount of lures.....can't imagine the baits you must lose in 20+years of fishing....
Old 03-19-07, 04:25 PM   #31
ihateforwards

Well, if you lose lures on fish, I guess you are fishing in the right area? I'm going fishing now!
Old 03-19-07, 04:33 PM   #32
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

tony and me were fishing middlefork once and I caught my rogue on a steel cable and broke the line, we eased on down the bank and a hawg comes wallering up to jump and try to shake that same rogue out of her mouth about 3 dif times..I never hooked her in the first place, she musta hit it on its way up to the surface...all I heard at first was the rattles making noise and a big splash, turned around and saw her try to shake it loose a second time...that lure went lost fer sure!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 05:31 PM   #33
ihateforwards

Ah that must have been a pretty hopeless moment for you. You lost a fish, and a lure, what a day. =(
Old 03-19-07, 05:32 PM   #34
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

jb, you talkin bout middlefork in Illinoiz?
Old 03-20-07, 07:22 AM   #35
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateforwards View Post
...how lures have you lost in your lifetime of fishing?
Hmmmm, lemme see. Well, I've been fishing for about (Shhhhh) years, so...E-mC squared, add 3 divided by Pi (are ROUND! Cobbler are square!), then cubed, add the total number of times Baylor has beaten OU in football (0) then multiply by 87....OK, I've got it!
In all those years I've lost 2 lures....

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 07:36 PM   #36
ihateforwards

Flyrod, does that really add up? I'll say the shhhhh part is x. Lesse, E-mCsquared + 3 / 3.14159, round, cube the product, then add 0, multiply by 87. I'm sure that doesn't equal 2!
Old 03-21-07, 07:47 AM   #37
FlyRod

Quote:
Flyrod, does that really add up? I'll say the shhhhh part is x. Lesse, E-mCsquared + 3 / 3.14159, round, cube the product, then add 0, multiply by 87.I'm sure that doesn't equal 2!
It does when I'M lying! Make up yer own danged fibs!

And I don't care watcha say...Pi are ROUND, and I likes me some 'niller Ice Cream on mine, thanks, and on them square cobblers too.
And, if MY root was square, I'd get some funny looks from the ladies.

FR
The next Einstein, if you grade on the curve.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 08:02 AM   #38
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Way too many to count...not to mention if i did count them up and do the math on how much money it all added up to i would just piss my self off. lol
Old 03-21-07, 10:09 AM   #39
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm pretty sure I have enough jigs and cranks stuck in enough rock piles around northern CA to stock a medium sized tackle shop.

Losing baits is just part of fishing. Wait till you hang up a $40+ swimbait and see how hard you try to get it back.

As for knots coming undone or line snapping, that is pretty preventable if you are diligent about tying your knots properly and checking your line frequently and re-tying if you find any abrasions, or after catching a couple fish.

I discovered last fall that an LV-500 WILL travel well over 200 yards when flung on a 7'6" rod and your line snaps off at the bait due to an old knot breaking. Replacing that bait cost me and the monkey over $100 in other stuff at the store.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 12:25 PM   #40
adamgambill

Got to say it really sucks when your spro chug bug is tied on to your 6-6 quarrow laguna madre(dont make anymore) that has your green SF Curado that was almost new(dont make anymore) get thrown in the river at a depth of 40 feet in the barge canal. But when it is your wife that does it you cant get mad.
Old 03-21-07, 02:34 PM   #41
ILfishinman

she threw the whole outfit into the wateR? or just the chug bug?
Old 03-21-07, 03:00 PM   #42
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgambill View Post
Got to say it really sucks when your spro chug bug is tied on to your 6-6 quarrow laguna madre(dont make anymore) that has your green SF Curado that was almost new(dont make anymore) get thrown in the river at a depth of 40 feet in the barge canal. But when it is your wife that does it you cant get mad.
Adam, just cause it is your wife doesn't mean you can't get mad. Gotta give her a spanking.

My wife lost my waterproof camera. I let her know that I was upset. Eventually, she bought me a new one (I thinks she paid for it with my "our" paycheck)
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 04:36 PM   #43
adamgambill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
she threw the whole outfit into the wateR? or just the chug bug?

The whole rig my friend, If you have never seen a 5'10" 270lb Grown man cry, you wouldhave that night.

I told her it was just an excuse for me to upgrade next bonus check, no clothes shopping(Im such a softy).

Had it not been the day after my birthday( Citica and a new cherrywood) And her crying "I lost your favorite rod" I would have been mad. Her brother just laughed and laughed. I did however learn that just cause its TX and March, the Colorado is still cold and current will cary your best rod but leave the junk sitting. It just wasnt meant to be.
Old 03-21-07, 04:51 PM   #44
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I lose about $20 to $25 worth per outing. What I hate is when fishing's tough and when I finally get a bite, I lose that lure on the very next cast. That's happened to me too many times to count.

If I have any idea what the lure is stuck in, I swim for it.
Old 03-21-07, 04:54 PM   #45
ILfishinman

20 - 25 thats alot, i uzually lose a couple lures a month.
Old 03-22-07, 04:23 PM   #46
bassnman30

revrat, I know exactly what you mean. Have lost several LC baits.
Tip for those that are unaware: Don't reel your bait all the way up to the tip of your rod. Thats a sure fire way to loose your bait, I have done and seen this. Have the lure at least 12" from the tip.
Less stress on the knot.
Old 03-22-07, 07:06 PM   #47
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30 View Post
revrat, I know exactly what you mean. Have lost several LC baits.
Tip for those that are unaware: Don't reel your bait all the way up to the tip of your rod. Thats a sure fire way to loose your bait, I have done and seen this. Have the lure at least 12" from the tip.
Less stress on the knot.
and you get more casting distance...
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 06:26 PM   #48
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Couldn't begin to tell you how many I've lost over the years. A good fisherman will lose more than his share, simply because he will take more chances and go where other anglers are afraid to go. I have to tell ya a story though about lost lures. I was a boy of about 12 when my family made our annual fishing trip to Minnesota to a resort on Big Thunder Lake. The first morning there, I walked out to the end of the pier and cast my Daredevel spoon with all my might with my Zebco 33. My heart sunk as my line snapped and my new lure went flying. Six days later, as my parents and older siblings were packing to leave, I quick ran back out to the pier for one last chance to catch a pike before heading back to Indiana. Reeling in my No. 5 white and silver Mepps spinner, I was excited to see fishing line wrapped around the trebles. As you probably have already figured out, I had caught my perviously lost Daredevil. That put a smile on my face from ear to ear.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:20 PM   #49
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

Quote:
What if your lure is stuck inside a rock with a hole (just asking) and that hole is basically a crack, and your treble hook gets stuck in that?
I would go in for it if it wasn't to deep. If you don't want to do that, and you have good line, pull away slowly, like I said, and you might straighten the hooks. Pull in the opposite direction if possible. I have straightened a few worm hooks with this techniques.

We all lose lures. You aren't going to get all of them back.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 09:12 PM   #50
ihateforwards

Isn't that always the case... anyways, my pond is chemically infested. That's not cool, which is why I never eat any of the fish in that pond, it's like a sewage plant or something. Anyways, it's chemically infested, so I'm not swimming in that pond. My friend caught some large sheets of plastic on my countdown lure, and it took me 30 minutes to get it, I thought I would have lost another lure too....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.