Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-07, 12:03 PM   #1
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser
Default New Baitcast Reel Help

Just had a garage sale, so I have about 150 bucks to blow on a new reel I really need to expand my rod/reel arsenal, I only use my 1 BPS Extreme since I pretty much used it for everything.. I am looking for a good reel that I can do some flipping in weeds with, but also give it a good throw with rattletraps or cranks.. My extreme I love for worms so I probably wouldnt use it for worming.. And a Rod, Looking for something heavier and around 7'. Thanks for any input since I dont know much on reels/rods.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:23 PM   #2
FlyRod

TB, (cough, cough)

You might consider the Shimano Castaic (named for the lake in CA).
I can say, from personal experience, that it is a VERY versatile reel that has an easily used flipping feature but casts very well in any application.
It has the SuperFree system; long-casting and smooth, and weighs less than 9 ounces...Hurrah! It is compact and palms well too.
You can get one at Academy for 169.99 + TTL.
Catch 22: This reel deserves a GOOD rod. If you are determined to flip/pitch with it, select a 6'10" (Minimum!) to 7'6" MH or H, that has a relatively high modulus graphite rating...no composite rods that have too much glass.
The Team AllStar line, the Shimano Crucial line, St.Croix Avid line, and even the Falcon Lowriders, are certain to offer a proper choice. There are other brands and lines as well that will do an admirable job.
I have my Castaic mounted on a Kistler LTA 7' H, and spooled with #30 TUF braid. I add a 6' P-Line Fluorocarbon Leader in #20 test (sold in 25M spools) by means of a "J-Knot" (see the Stren website for confusing tying instructions, prepare to go nuckin' futz.) I can flip or pitch a 3/8 ounce, and up, jig with good distance and accuracy with this combo. As well, it will serve OK for the BIG spinnerbaits, carolina rigs, or the largest lipless cranks (remember to ease off on the drag.)
Here's an opportunity for you to own a truly great reel, one that wasn't (Thank God!) included in the recent revamping at Shimano that resulted in the Curados (except for the 100 size) becoming overweight and overpriced.
Take your time with this one, TB, and do it right, even if you need to wait a while and amass the funds required. You'll be a happier and more effective basser if you do.

Good luck and be safe,

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:49 PM   #3
Raul

I second the motion on the Castaic.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:59 PM   #4
FlyRod

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
I second the motion on the Castaic.
Thank yew. Thank yew verrah much!
(But I still won't do two shows a night.)

FlyRod has left the building.
Old 04-14-07, 01:12 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Thanks, the castaic seems like a great reel... Its a little over my bugdet and with a good rod.... but ill see what I can do.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 02:48 PM   #6
Raul

Whatīs the rush TB ?

Do what I do, you already have 150, you are 150 bones closer to a 170 reel, reel that has the features you want plus reels that you will be enjoying in the years to come, those reels are built to last free of troubles for years and with good regular maintenance will last for decades. Itīs only 20 bux and if you order it from Tacklewarehouse you donīt even have to pay shipping.
Old 04-14-07, 08:18 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I third the Castaic, it's the baitcaster I use for just about everything. Raul gives good advice, go cut a couple of yards for the extra money, then start saving for a good rod.

Lizards
Old 04-15-07, 12:20 AM   #8
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Why is the Castaic so plasticy?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 01:19 AM   #9
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

why not try a extreme flippin model (if you like flippin switches) or just get a 7.1 extreme never used one myself but ive seen them go for around 70 dollars new in box on ebay
Old 04-15-07, 01:29 AM   #10
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez View Post
why not try a extreme flippin model (if you like flippin switches) or just get a 7.1 extreme never used one myself but ive seen them go for around 70 dollars new in box on ebay
'cause, compared to the Castiac, the Extreme is a POS. That's why.
Let's encourage the young'uns to own the best, and be willing to work and save to acquire it. These are lessons that, with or without fishing, will serve them for a lifetime.
We don't need to be offering them the easy path. Right?

With good intentions,

FR
Old 04-15-07, 08:45 AM   #11
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Why is the Castaic so plasticy?
Joolsie,

ALL reels are "plasticy", also "aluminy" and some are even "magnesiumy". Otherwise they'd weigh a ton.
Believe me, Jools, the Castaic is as tough as they come.

FR.

PS: Now go to bed!
Old 04-15-07, 05:10 PM   #12
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Lol. It was just weird at first when I saw a $170 reel and it felt like it would break if I dropped it.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:36 AM   #13
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

no harm no foul ive never used a castaic but i have used extremes which have never let me down the best reels for their price range but if he wants to spend the cash then by all means get something with more quality
Old 04-16-07, 01:40 AM   #14
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Lol. It was just weird at first when I saw a $170 reel and it felt like it would break if I dropped it.
Jewls,

Don't you remember THE mantra; "Lightness is your friend!"?
By your reasoning, the 170 buck 'Staic, the 250 buck Chronarch50MG, the 450 buck Daiwa STEEZ, etc, are all junk because they aren't obese like the new Curados, most (if not all) Quantums, and so on.
The Castaic is as solid as any of the fatties, just an ounce or more lighter.
For cryin' out loud, laddie, save up and buy the better reel. It's not THAT far out of reach and you'll regret it if you don't.
Jeebus! Quit *kvetching and start catching.

Your Fast-running-outta-patience Uncle Fly

*Jewish slang. Look it up.
Old 04-16-07, 03:14 PM   #15
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez View Post
no harm no foul ive never used a castaic but i have used extremes which have never let me down the best reels for their price range but if he wants to spend the cash then by all means get something with more quality
Thatīs the point, never used one. You canīt make an educated opinion and less a comparison when you donīt have the elements at hand, Iīm not going to say like Fly that an Extreme is a POS ( heīs more blunt than I when expressing what I think , which is not that far from what I think ) but thereīs no point of comparison between the Castaic and the Extreme, the only thing they have in common is that they are bc reels.

Many times you get carried away by price when making a purchase, you buy a reel and 2-3 seasons because itīs cheap, later you go an buy another one because the previuos just didnīt cut it; whatīs cheapier, purchasing one and then having to substitute it 2-3 years later just to do the same thing 2-3 years later again or spending wisely, well and once and for all ?

In 1984 I purchased my first good quality baitcaster, an Abu Ambassadeur 521 XLT Plus, I paid a whopping 95 dollars plus tax for that reel ( in 1984 95 bones was a good ammount of dough ), all my friends said that I was nutz for purchasing such an "expensive" reel. Itīs been 23 years since Iīve purchased that reel and it still works like out of the box to the point that I still fish with it and I can still fish with that reel in the next decade, yup, itīs that good.

95 / 23 years = 4.1 dollars per YEAR, thatīs what has cost me so far.

Got my first Curado in 1993, 120 bones

120 / 14 = 8.5 dollars per year.

That is what you get when you purchase quality. Years of use and abuse at an irrisorious price.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.